Ron Saunders RIP

Talldarkandransome

57 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

The North Stand should be the Ron Saunder Stand. We don't do enough at Villa to cherish and celebrate our greats. This would be a fitting start. 

A true Holte End hero now in the sky. 

The North Stand or the Doug Ellis!

What terribly sad news. Ron Saunders was the first Villa manager I familiarised with as a small boy. I recall stories my late cousin told me of when he decorated Ron's house. 

What great times Ron brought to our club. Memories that secure his and those players' places as legends in the history of our famous club. 

R.I.P Ron - many condolences to all your family and friends at this sad time. 

Without doubt the greatest we have had. Really built three teams At villa. The one that got promoted, the one that finished 4th in 76/77 and then the one that won the league and European Cup. The 5-1 at ht against the mighty Liverpool was my fav match ever 

Rip love you Ron

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 4

Thanks Ron

For Sheff Wed away in 75, to win promotion , 10k Villa fans at a midweek away game.

For 5-1 against Lplop at VP

For 75 and 77 League Cup wins

For the team of 76/77

Obviously for 80/81

And probably for 82

He made us THE team, it was lovely whilst it lasted.

Probably THE Legend of the club

RIP Ron, and thanks for the memoies.

• Like 4

Without doubt the best Villa manager in my lifetime.

Took us from Division 2 (as it was known then )won 2 league cups,won title and respectable finishes in league in other years.

Entertaining to watch and was able to let our best players go (Gray ,Gidman )etc and replace them with better players for less money.

Reminds me of Smith in many ways especially being honest and straightforward.I remember him being interviewed when we were near to winning the title and interviewer saying there was a lot of pressure on him and the team he replied there is much more pressure being at the bottom .

As long as players gave 110% He was happy.That title winning side was one of the great sides and its a shame he left and wasn’t able to maintain it.

I think tomorrow fans will give him a fitting tribute.

Edited by Londonastonvilla

RIP Mr 110%

The first villa manager in my supporting lifetime. 

Arms aloft on the holte, singing "Saunders Saunders Saunders Saunders" to the tune of amazing grace.

Legend, pure and simple 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SuffolkVillan said:

A great man and the greatest manager Villa have ever had. Principled, honest and the best motivator. English champions 1981, thanks Ron RIP

Cant say it better than that.  Was the manager at my first home game.  

We have got to get a statue,  a really expensive and good one. 

I feel people and even villa fans don't know how great he was.  

• Like 2

Â