The Hung Like a Donkey General Election December 2019 Thread

Jareth

Which Cunch of Bunts are you voting for?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cunch of Bunts Gets Your Hard Fought Cross

• The Evil Abusers Of The Working Man Dark Blue Team
    • The Hopelessly Divided Unicorn Chasing Red Team
    • The Couldn't Trust Them Even You Wanted To Yellow Team
    • The Demagogue Worshiping Light Blue Corportation
    • The Hippy Drippy Green Team
    • One of the Parties In The Occupied Territories That Hates England
    • I Live In Northern Ireland And My Choice Is Dictated By The Leader Of A Cult
    • I'm Out There And Found Someone Else To Vote For

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/19 at 23:00

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Mr Redwood, the original actual piece of shit.

To mis quote Stormzy.

His rendition of Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau was worthy of execution without the actual policy excrement that comes out of his mouth

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

His rendition of Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau was worthy of execution without the actual policy excrement that comes out of his mouth

You wouldn’t want him on your team in a lip sync battle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I know I bang on about these BBC vox pops more than is strictly necessary, and I’ve just had to promise my missus I’ll keep my opinions on vox pops to myself for a few days.

However... there was some Dimbleby tour of Britain thing on earlier and there was some woman that managed a train of thought I’d never heard before. She claimed she was a life long Labour voter, but would vote Conservative this time. Her reason was that she knew Johnson was a liar, but that meant he was a normal person and therefore she felt she could trust him.

You can have all the arguments you like on Newsnight about house building targets, Grenfell, collapsed rape trials, NHS stats or foreign policy, there are people out there that trust Boris Johnson because he’s a liar.

I think I heard her . . . was she the one who claimed Boris has 'balls of steel'? Which is, honestly, an opinion I legit cannot understand.

• Like 1

Everyone's focusing on keeping the Tories out of winning this.

There's a far darker and scarier prospect though of the Brexit Party winning it. I've come to realise that there are a lot of old, angry and undereducated people in this country and I fear they'll be running to the polls, pitchforks in hand to pay homage to their demigod Nigel.

Amongst the reasonable and educated section of the population there also lives a degree of apathy and I can't see the same numbers turning out for the force of good as will be there for the opposite side.

There's been some really surprising outcomes on major voting processes in recent years and I'm really concerned we'll see the same again. 

What would you do if Farage / Brexit Party won the election with a clear majority?

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

There's been some really surprising outcomes on major voting processes in recent years and I'm really concerned we'll see the same again. 

What would you do if Farage / Brexit Party won the election with a clear majority?

From a position of between 6-13% in the polls?

They'll genuinely be doing well to win a single seat.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Keep on keepin’ on, is the only answer.

FPTP is what stops Farage getting a majority. It’s not a great system, but proportional representation puts 60 to 100 Farage loons in Parliament, so there’s that.

There was a chat on the radio and the mentioned that for the vast majority of people they pay no heed to day to day politics, the vast majority of the country would not know today there’s been a ministerial resignation yesterday. Never mind name the guy or let it influence their voting. Same with the edited video story, Javid story, Johnson’s poll dancing IT teacher....

BBC Evan Davis said he’d been reminded how little the majority cared when he’d tried a vox pop about politicians at a motorway services and beyond May, Johnson and Corbyn he struggled to find people that knew any others. Then they go out and vote. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

However... there was some Dimbleby tour of Britain thing on earlier and there was some woman that managed a train of thought I’d never heard before. She claimed she was a life long Labour voter, but would vote Conservative this time. Her reason was that she knew Johnson was a liar, but that meant he was a normal person and therefore she felt she could trust him.

You can have all the arguments you like on Newsnight about house building targets, Grenfell, collapsed rape trials, NHS stats or foreign policy, there are people out there that trust Boris Johnson because he’s a liar.

Was that the hairdresser in Merthyr? Her views were baffling - but, sadly, I think were an accurate representation of the “average voter”.  She said something else contradictory (along with the lying) which I can’t remember. I watched it and just thought “there’s no hope”. 

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Was that the hairdresser in Merthyr? Her views were baffling - but, sadly, I think were an accurate representation of the “average voter”.  She said something else contradictory (along with the lying) which I can’t remember. I watched it and just thought “there’s no hope”. 

Yeah it was, she was an absolute random, but got given a solid 5 minutes to share her barking mad world view.

She was the hairdresser that didn’t believe Merthyr needs money because Merthyr is just Merthyr and its people not money that make a place.

I presume she does haircuts for free.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

The Tories are that bad, I’m struggling to believe they’d be any worse to be honest. 

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

because Merthyr is just Merthyr

is that abandoned night club looking place as youwalk up to the curry house  still blatantly growing cannabis out of it ?

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It can be pretty easy to get depressed about low-information voters, especially if they come armed with inexplicable opinions like 'Boris Johnson has balls of steel', but it's worth remembering a couple of things. Firstly, for every three people voting this way for a daft reason, there'll be at least two voting the other way for a similarly daft reason. Secondly, if you can't understand how they've the drawn the conclusions they have, you probably won't be able to predict the things that will make people change their minds either, so people can end up agreeing with you for similarly inexplicable reasons, even if you don't think the campaign is going well. Finally, it's worth remembering that individual voters are just noise, and that general elections are won or lost due to mass moves in sentiment that happen on a level that is almost below rational argument.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There was a chat on the radio and the mentioned that for the vast majority of people they pay no heed to day to day politics

I guess its always been so , the difference now of course is people can see a clickbait type headline that forms an opinion in their mind ( and that they often share ) that they don't both to fact check in any shape or form ... stuff from Corbyns wife pays Mexican coffee farmers 93p for every £10 she makes and  the Rees Mogg is shorting the £ guff , people are happy to blindly hit the forward button , nobody every says hmm interesting let me google that on yahoo to see if its true ..

Ultimately the election could come down to which politicians name can they remember when they walk in the voting booth  , oh who's that bloke with the funny hair that got stuck on a zip wire , what party was he in again , oh yeah conservative , think i'll stick my X there then

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

There's a far darker and scarier prospect though of the Brexit Party winning it. I've come to realise that there are a lot of old, angry and undereducated people in this country and I fear they'll be running to the polls, pitchforks in hand to pay homage to their demigod Nigel.

Amongst the reasonable and educated section of the population there also lives a degree of apathy and I can't see the same numbers turning out for the force of good as will be there for the opposite side.

To be fair if your current environments are Stoke, Warrington, Newport and the BBC you'd be forgiven for thinking the UK is full of mentalists. It isn't

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

22 minutes ago, Xann said:

Farage doesn't know either.

Given that Farage isn't even standing, if they were going to win a majority (they won't); it would involve someone else being PM. Can you name even a different candidate for the NF Party? I know they have a few ex-Tories in their ranks for the Euros, but not sure if they are standing as possible MPs? 

If there was even a sniff of them even getting a seat, you can bet that NF would be standing. 

3 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

it would involve someone else being PM

Temporarily maybe, he could easily be made a Lord at which point he could become PM. There is no "rule" saying the PM has to be an MP as far as I know