The Hung Like a Donkey General Election December 2019 Thread

Jareth

Which Cunch of Bunts are you voting for?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cunch of Bunts Gets Your Hard Fought Cross

• The Evil Abusers Of The Working Man Dark Blue Team
    • The Hopelessly Divided Unicorn Chasing Red Team
    • The Couldn't Trust Them Even You Wanted To Yellow Team
    • The Demagogue Worshiping Light Blue Corportation
    • The Hippy Drippy Green Team
    • One of the Parties In The Occupied Territories That Hates England
    • I Live In Northern Ireland And My Choice Is Dictated By The Leader Of A Cult
    • I'm Out There And Found Someone Else To Vote For

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/19 at 23:00

2 hours ago, Xann said:

Splitting opposition to the Tory filth is nonsense.

This isn't the election to show my dissatisfaction with the major parties.

Will be returning to the Greens, if we manage to stop the Eton boys and suited psychopaths giving everything to their chums and taking the rights away that previous generations fought for.

I was reading some of the greens policies. They plan to borrow close to 100billion a year. Where the he'll do they plan to pay for this?

Forget Labour these lot will bankrupt the country with craziness like this.

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I was reading some of the greens policies. They plan to borrow close to 100billion a year. Where the he'll do they plan to pay for this?

not to mention the miners strikes we will have to contend with when they shut down all the coal mines

I beleive they plan to borrow the money as its currently cheap to do so  ... the theory is that govt investment on  info structure brings long terms gains for the country that pay their own way

Edited by tonyh29

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Worshipping the money god is f***ing up the World and we need to be moving away from it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

not to mention the miners strikes we will have to contend with when they shut down all the coal mines

Tory policy

One of the UK’s eight remaining coal power stations is expected to cease generating electricity this year, the government has said as it laid out new rules that will force all the plants to close by 2025.

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

General election 2019: How would the Greens fund their £1tn pledge?

The bulk (£91.2bn a year) would come from borrowing, with the rest from tax changes.

The IFS calculates the Greens' proposal would take borrowing to £140bn. This would be more than 6% of national income and the highest level since 2012-2013, when borrowing rocketed following the global financial crisis.

The Green Party is in favour of remaining in the European Union, but running a budget deficit of 6% would be double the limit set out in the EU's growth and stability pact.

As well as additional borrowing, the Greens say they will raise £9bn a year from tax changes - including a rise in corporation tax to 24%.

Full detail in the link but yeah its a huge amount of funding. They argue that it will be beneficial in the long term, but you are going to struggle to get people on board with it when they suggest that level of spending. Given it will breach EU rules as well may cause some difficulties... 

The Corporation Tax level is also set at the lowest rate of the G7, but rather than raising the rates even more, surely closing tax loopholes that Google, Amazon et al use might increase income? 

I like the Greens and it is definitely with good intentions, but I cannot see this being a viable plan, certainly not with that level of borrowing. Something would need to give elsewhere or more tax increases, which everybody loves...

9 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

General election 2019: How would the Greens fund their £1tn pledge?

Full detail in the link but yeah its a huge amount of funding. They argue that it will be beneficial in the long term, but you are going to struggle to get people on board with it when they suggest that level of spending. Given it will breach EU rules as well may cause some difficulties... 

The Corporation Tax level is also set at the lowest rate of the G7, but rather than raising the rates even more, surely closing tax loopholes that Google, Amazon et al use might increase income? 

I like the Greens and it is definitely with good intentions, but I cannot see this being a viable plan, certainly not with that level of borrowing. Something would need to give elsewhere or more tax increases, which everybody loves...

Greens policy (like a lot of smaller parties) is usually aspirational, designed to shift the conversation In their preferred direction rather than be implemented wholesale. 

There is also a saying amongst ‘progressive’ parties like the Greens that the major parties mock their policies before adopting them themselves a few years later, once the rest of society has caught up (e.g. same sex marriage). 

6 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Greens policy (like a lot of smaller parties) is usually aspirational, designed to shift the conversation In their preferred direction rather than be implemented wholesale. 

Perhaps and it has certainly created some news with it. They are making more noise than they have done previously.

Unfortunately for the Greens, the same was said about the Lib Dems though and when they finally got into a position of some power, they failed to implement anything. Not sure they even shifted the conversation back in 2010, save for the "I'm with Nick" quotes? 

35 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

There's a massive, er, few hundred people work in coal mining in the UK according to mooneying it https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=how many people work in coal mining UK&cad=h

732 people
According to employment numbers compiled by the Coal Authority and seen by DeSmog UK, 732 people worked in coal mining jobs in June 2017. This is compared to 1,381 employed in June 2016

8 minutes ago, blandy said:

There's a massive, er, few hundred people work in coal mining in the UK according to mooneying it https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=how many people work in coal mining UK&cad=h

it may only be a few hundred , but that's not very caring of you to just dismiss it like that  ...  we'll make a Tory voter out of you yet  :)

It seems again though that VT's radar is out of kilter and I should have put a "not entirely serious" spoiler warning on my post

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Wonder if they've realised that parachuting in one of Corbyn's London cabal was a bit of a dim move, given what you say? 

She isn't 'one of Corbyn's London cabal'. Her two opponents were 'both considered to be more on the left of the party as well as more local', and she was endorsed by decidedly-anti-Corbyn John Mann:

'Former Camden councillor Sally Gimson, a pro-Remain activist, won the selection race in Leave-voting Bassetlaw.

Gimson beat Unite-backed Ashfield councillor Keir Morrison and Ashfield local party chair Julia Long, both considered to be more on the left of the party as well as more local.

[...]

Commenting on the result, retiring incumbent John Mann tweeted: “Congratulations to Sally Gimson, Highgate Cllr selected as Bassetlaw Labour candidate. Momentum stitch up doesn’t give them the result they expected.”'

https://labourlist.org/2019/10/super-sunday-labour-candidate-selection-results/

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

it may only be a few hundred , but that's not very caring of you to just dismiss it like that  ...  we'll make a Tory voter out of you yet  :)

It seems again though that VT's radar is out of kilter and I should have put a "not entirely serious" spoiler warning on my post

You won't :)

It just surprised me that it was so few people. Oh and It's OK Tone, you know I don't take anything you say seriously :P

• Haha 1