The Hung Like a Donkey General Election December 2019 Thread

Jareth

Which Cunch of Bunts are you voting for?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cunch of Bunts Gets Your Hard Fought Cross

• The Evil Abusers Of The Working Man Dark Blue Team
    • The Hopelessly Divided Unicorn Chasing Red Team
    • The Couldn't Trust Them Even You Wanted To Yellow Team
    • The Demagogue Worshiping Light Blue Corportation
    • The Hippy Drippy Green Team
    • One of the Parties In The Occupied Territories That Hates England
    • I Live In Northern Ireland And My Choice Is Dictated By The Leader Of A Cult
    • I'm Out There And Found Someone Else To Vote For

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/19 at 23:00

So as a citizen, but not resident (been out the country for more than 15 years, so couldn't vote!), Was this ultimately a brexit vote? My friend back home says that People not taking to Corbyn was as a big a reason?

And if it was a brexit thing, was brexit basically an immigration vote?

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Pages an pages of debate. It's done an thats it. Or shall we run the vote again either now or in a couple of months when we know what's going on just to be sure?😁

We will rerun the vote in a maximum of 60 months.

Or are you suggesting that there shouldn't be another general election ever?

Edit: At least we are supposed to rerun the vote. Perhaps we won't.

Edited by snowychap

1 minute ago, Dom_Wren said:

So as a citizen, but not resident (been out the country for more than 15 years, so couldn't vote!), Was this ultimately a brexit vote? My friend back home says that People not taking to Corbyn was as a big a reason?

I think immigration faded away, I can’t say I noticed it as an issue.

’Get Brexit Done’ was just too easy a slogan to resist for people fed up of the whole thing. Like signing a confession, not cos you did it, but because you just can’t take another chair leg up the arse.

As opposed to Corbyn’s slightly less catchy slogan of ‘we will re start the negotiations and then have a referendum and then decide what to do, meanwhile we’ll plant 2 billion trees at a rate of 150 a minute 24 hours a day for 5 years and have I mentioned free ice cream on Friday’s?’

• Like 2

Just now, Dom_Wren said:

Not sure anyone has ‘the’ answer, but the root of Labour’s problem was Ed Miliband’s £3 membership drive. The fruitier elements of the far-left - defeated by Kinnock & Blair - flooded back in, carrying 1970’s economics and anti-Semitism with them. It’s all been downhill from there. 

Johnson doesn’t seem to be liked or trusted by many people, but the alternative was just so dire that even die-hard Labour seats turned blue last night. 

Yes Brexit played a big-part, which is on those who spent years trying to block it. Last night they reaped the fruits of that approach. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dom_Wren said:

I reckon a lot of people that voted leave felt they had been ignored. They didn’t even care what leave meant they were just sick of Parliament blocking deals and preventing what the people had decided.. I honestly thing for a lot of people it’s a simple as that.   

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Dom_Wren said:

Far more complex than that but, in my seat (Tory hold) the Conservative vote actually decreased the most.  Labour's decreased too - all these votes went to the Lib Dems.  It's a remain voting seat.

There is undoubtedly, and sadly, a huge wave of xenophobia in the UK currently, though.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m shocked if the average working class voter has turned Tory.  Maybe they felt under Labour they would be the ones that would be hit the hardest by Labour’s increased taxes?

I would be very surprised if 70%+ of the reason for changing to Tory isn't anti-migrant.  Very surprised.

• Like 1

Most people didn’t vote Tory. The anti Tory vote was split. The sooner we follow the lead of most progressive countries and adopt proportional representation, the better. Constantly handing power solely to parties that poll less than 50%, whoever they may be, is not truly democratic. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Awol said:

Not sure anyone has ‘the’ answer, but the root of Labour’s problem was Ed Miliband’s £3 membership drive. The fruitier elements of the far-left - defeated by Kinnock & Blair - flooded back in, carrying 1970’s economics and anti-Semitism with them. It’s all been downhill from there. 

Johnson doesn’t seem to be liked or trusted by many people, but the alternative was just so dire that even die-hard Labour seats turned blue last night. 

Yes Brexit played a big-part, which is on those who spent years trying to block it. Last night they reaped the fruits of that approach. 

Yes - that has to change - but with the fruitier elements having a vote on such a change - don't see that changing soon.

49 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m shocked if the average working class voter has turned Tory.  Maybe they felt under Labour they would be the ones that would be hit the hardest by Labour’s increased taxes?

I think that's the problem

A lot of people see taxes as a type of punishment, rather than something essential to keep a country running

Torys offer lower taxes 

1 minute ago, Mozzavfc said:

I think that's the problem

A lot of people see taxes as a type of punishment, rather than something essential to keep a country running

Torys offer lower taxes 

Depressing isn’t it.

My extra 5% tax I would be paying will be donated to the least objectionable opposition party until a new government gets in.

Assuming Boris doesn’t surprise me, which I desperately hope he does.