The Hung Like a Donkey General Election December 2019 Thread

Jareth

Which Cunch of Bunts are you voting for?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cunch of Bunts Gets Your Hard Fought Cross

• The Evil Abusers Of The Working Man Dark Blue Team
    • The Hopelessly Divided Unicorn Chasing Red Team
    • The Couldn't Trust Them Even You Wanted To Yellow Team
    • The Demagogue Worshiping Light Blue Corportation
    • The Hippy Drippy Green Team
    • One of the Parties In The Occupied Territories That Hates England
    • I Live In Northern Ireland And My Choice Is Dictated By The Leader Of A Cult
    • I'm Out There And Found Someone Else To Vote For

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/19 at 23:00

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

Goodbye and huge good luck to everyone. You'll need it even though you think you might not.

Tonight is the end of you making a difference. Tonight is the end of you mattering.

It may not hit you like a sledgehammer, it may not hit you at all but you've just lost everything, even the smug shits who think they've won.

You don't matter - any more than we others matter. We are all just fodder.

We never did. Didn’t need this election to tell us that. 

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

After all the dust has settled, I'm not sure how this Tory campaign and manifesto has been branded right wing. 

They have given Labour a good go when it comes to promises of hospitals, nurses, schools etc. This was not a campaign of "go out there and prove yourself in the world" but a campaign of "look what government can do for you".

While a lot of posters have a clear left leaning bias, Conservatives are just another centrist, boring European party who will plod this country along to a questionable 1% GDP growth. Compared to many other countries, UK does not have a strong free market libertarian party but majority of its parties are just different shades of red (how different are greens or lib Dems to Labour really?). 

All Tories had to do to win is to ride on Brexit (which looks like countries preferred option now) and mix it with left leaning promises of £4865 billion for the NHS. Not that they will deliver it, but the message is there.

Just because some voters are racist or because the Polish man will have to apply to stay here post Brexit does not make this government right wing. It definately does not make it a free market heaven government. 

Let's have a look at their policies first to make a call on it, they won a lot of red seats so they might further slip into the labour promise land to make sure they keep them next time around.

My hope is that Boris Johnson is the shameless careerist that I think he is. I hope that he has used Raab and Rees Mogg as tools, in order to get him into power within the party and now he has complete power in parliament, he sidelines them in a cabinet reshuffle. 

I don't think Johnson is as right wing as Rees Mogg and Raab, both rabid free market loonies. They would both happily privitise the NHS and run a lord of the flies style government. 

Johnson isn't stupid, he's a canny political operator. That doesn't equate with being a good public servant though mind. 

This morning he is talking about investing in the NHS, schools and whatnot. And he's saying that he wants to look after the ex industrial towns that have for the first time voted for the Conservatives. 

The thing that bothers me, is that nobody really knows that Boris stands for. And the country has given him free reign to do what he wants. 

The alternative didn't in the least appeal to these ex industrial towns, so there we and they have it. 

The way I see it, the Tories are running out of excuses. Labour haven't been in power for 9 years and won't be for the next 5 either. Once Brexit is 'done', then they can't blame the EU or immigrants. There isn't much left for them to privitise. They're running a strong a parliamentary majority, not a coalition. It's on them now. 

It's going to be a long 5 years, but it's time for the Tories to step up and deliver. With a significant majority like they have won comes an expectation that they'll do something with it.

They won't.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Blimey Dennis Skinner lost his seat.

Quite a few surprising Labour losses last night, but that wasn't one of them for me. His majority halved even in 2017 amid a strong Labour result nationally. People have an impression of Bolsover that it's all coal mines, but they all closed decades ago, the miners retired and a lot of the electorate are now commuters living in Barratt homes. 

6 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

This morning he is talking about investing in the NHS, schools and whatnot. And he's saying that he wants to look after the ex industrial towns that have for the first time voted for the Conservatives. 

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, they always say stuff like that, like May with her 'just about managing' voters she was supposedly targeting, and then never did anything for. It's the cheapest talk in the world. 

Aye, but in the past they've not actually voted for the Conservatives. As in, they've not had to actually do anything for them, because they don't rely on them in an election anyway. 

My point is, Brexit will be crap for these places, so he's going to have to come up with something else. 

26 minutes ago, peterms said:

We may now be on a trajectory that will lead to Scottish independence and the reunification of Ireland.

This worries me, as they want independence with a view to rejoin the EU. This then means we have the Ireland/NI border problem over here too. Hard border might then lead to tensions etc etc. Its the start of a slippery slope.

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

This worries me, as they want independence with a view to rejoin the EU. This then means we have the Ireland/NI border problem over here too. Hard border might then lead to tensions etc etc. Its the start of a slippery slope.

When it happens in Scotland it’ll be the other side of the Brexit process. Plunging back into uncertainty may not be top of the pops for a majority in Scotland - voting SNP doesn’t necessarily equate to a vote for independence, as 2014 demonstrated. 

Got rid of the buggers where I live too, tactical voting FTW! 

Well my MP literally went in to hiding, to the point they even binned the first lot of leaflets to re print them without his face on them.

He was a no show at a couple of hustings and had to resign as Welsh Secretary.

Two opposition parties withdrew to give labour a clearer run at it.

Seat retained by Cairns with an increased majority. Looking at the figures, the LibDem and Plaid candidates withdrew and pretty much most of their support switched to the Green Party. There’s a couple of lessons in there for a few people, including me.

26 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

That ship has now well and truly sailed. In hindsight it would have been better to have voted through Mays deal and got that issue off the table, in terms of hoping to overturn the result of 2016. We'd possibly have had to wait a while longer for another election but it would not have been a Brexit dominated one. That wouldn't have been enough to have seen a Labour majority under Corbyn but given how many votes on the face of it the Brexit party took from Labour it may have been enough to have seen a hung parliament and certainly a much lower Tory majority.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1