The Hung Like a Donkey General Election December 2019 Thread

Jareth

Which Cunch of Bunts are you voting for?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cunch of Bunts Gets Your Hard Fought Cross

• The Evil Abusers Of The Working Man Dark Blue Team
    • The Hopelessly Divided Unicorn Chasing Red Team
    • The Couldn't Trust Them Even You Wanted To Yellow Team
    • The Demagogue Worshiping Light Blue Corportation
    • The Hippy Drippy Green Team
    • One of the Parties In The Occupied Territories That Hates England
    • I Live In Northern Ireland And My Choice Is Dictated By The Leader Of A Cult
    • I'm Out There And Found Someone Else To Vote For

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/19 at 23:00

4 hours ago, blandy said:

Almost. I'd say it is broadly centre-centre left. There is basically one right wing (national) party, and then a bunch of centre/centre left parties and Labour. In terms of overall vote share, the centre-left/left will and almost always does, gather more votes in total than the right.

One problem if FPTP, another is the left parties fighting for the 55% or whatever of the leftish voters and the tories fighting for the other 45%.

Labour being not bonkers means they get to win most of the lefty voters. They and Jeremy Saviour Corbyn seem not to have noticed this.

After all the dust has settled, I'm not sure how this Tory campaign and manifesto has been branded right wing. 

They have given Labour a good go when it comes to promises of hospitals, nurses, schools etc. This was not a campaign of "go out there and prove yourself in the world" but a campaign of "look what government can do for you".

While a lot of posters have a clear left leaning bias, Conservatives are just another centrist, boring European party who will plod this country along to a questionable 1% GDP growth. Compared to many other countries, UK does not have a strong free market libertarian party but majority of its parties are just different shades of red (how different are greens or lib Dems to Labour really?). 

All Tories had to do to win is to ride on Brexit (which looks like countries preferred option now) and mix it with left leaning promises of £4865 billion for the NHS. Not that they will deliver it, but the message is there.

Just because some voters are racist or because the Polish man will have to apply to stay here post Brexit does not make this government right wing. It definately does not make it a free market heaven government. 

Let's have a look at their policies first to make a call on it, they won a lot of red seats so they might further slip into the labour promise land to make sure they keep them next time around.

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Disappointed with the result. We do however have a very strong hand in Brexit negotiations with Boris being backed so well at the polls . Going to be an interesting couple of years for sure.

Good luck Boris , I have big doubts but hope you do us proud.

Labour .......dear me Corbyn should stay for the dust to settle and Brexit to unfold then let a new leader pick the pieces up . What I can't believe is how disconnected from the electorate Labour were , they let their principles blur the fact he was unelectable .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

One positive I hope that comes from all of this the media comes to its senses and realises Brexit Party are a nothing fringe party. 

Think you can put the greens in that pile too, For all the talk of the environment being one of the biggest issues they only managed 200,000 more votes than the brexit party despite standing 200 more candidates. Daft thing is that between the two of them they got 250,000 more votes than the SNP

Just now, LakotaDakota said:

Think you can put the greens in that pile too, For all the talk of the environment being one of the biggest issues they only managed 200,000 more votes than the brexit party despite standing 200 more candidates. Daft thing is that between the two of them they got 250,000 more votes than the SNP

I would say under our current voting system, the Green Party has been significantly more successful in general elections than BXP.

Hugely disappointing but not surprising.

Didnt really want to vote for Labour but it was an "anyone but tory" vote and I guess that sums up labour's problem at this election. 

The next Labour leader has to fight for some kind of electoral reform. Whatever side of the coin you sit on Brexit and politics, everyone pretty much agrees that it's a broken and rotten system. Tories didn't win 50% of the popular vote, and they didn't need to... Like pretty much every government before them. We can't keep having elections where people pick the least worst or have to vote tactically for someone they don't like to keep out someone they despise, be that a corbyn or Johnson. 

• Like 1

talking to people at work, the normal adjusted people, they really didnt like the options in front of them, they talked about the leaders, not the parties. Boris or Corbyn, I guess the country did the same thing and thought Boris is the lesser of the evils.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

The tories, their supporters, supporters of brexit, the brexit party, fans of Farage etc... which clearly the country is packed with to the majority really dont give a single flying **** about the future of your kids, anyone else's kids, or anyone else at all. It's all operation EU is bad, let's stop the terrorist looking people coming in and Our Borders! Our Borders! Oh our dear Borders! 

That’s not true. Whether right or wrong a lot of people voted leave and now probably voted Tory with the future in mind.  That may be misguided but I think it’s unfair to say they aren’t considering future generations.