The Hung Like a Donkey General Election December 2019 Thread

Jareth

Which Cunch of Bunts are you voting for?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cunch of Bunts Gets Your Hard Fought Cross

• The Evil Abusers Of The Working Man Dark Blue Team
    • The Hopelessly Divided Unicorn Chasing Red Team
    • The Couldn't Trust Them Even You Wanted To Yellow Team
    • The Demagogue Worshiping Light Blue Corportation
    • The Hippy Drippy Green Team
    • One of the Parties In The Occupied Territories That Hates England
    • I Live In Northern Ireland And My Choice Is Dictated By The Leader Of A Cult
    • I'm Out There And Found Someone Else To Vote For

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/19 at 23:00

15 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

The media won the election, all hail the media.

Same could be said about every election ever, everywhere.

5 hours ago, colhint said:

Why on earth not. people are still called Brexiteers, People still think negotiations will go on for donkeys years. In years to come people will still be saying not all brexiteers are racist but all racists voted for brexit.   I think both terms will be used for ages yet. 

It's almost as if everyone had been conditioned to be divided and not see the other sides point of view so that they could then be ruled more easily.

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

That’s because it’s absolutely 100% true, it’s not an opinion, or a derogatory term, it’s a fact.

Of course it is, apart from those Remain voting anti-Semites in the Labour Party. But that doesn’t fit the script. 

8 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Naionalising only those parts of the country's infrastructure that would benefit from not being profit-driven. Not "nationalising everything in sight" as the Daily Mail would have you believe.

Not "seizing" 10% of all company shares, just redistributing a small part of the ownership of the very largest companies to the employees, making the workers better off and more invested in their work.

Borrowing 100s of billions? Maybe, but to invest in the country and its infrastructure and thus increase output and ultimately generate money. Speculate to accumulate and all that. A country with dysfunctional health, education and transport systems is going nowhere.

The arguments you present are simplistic and completely avoid the reasons *why* the policies were in the manifesto. Unfortunately it seems like most of the country couldn't understand why these things were being suggested either.

Taking assets that belongs to other people without their consent is called theft, not redistribution. That’s why we have the rule of law, not rule by law, to prevent government’s arbitrarily going on the rob. Today, the shares of multinationals, tomorrow?  Whatever takes the regime’s fancy. 

Also, blaming the electorate for not understanding what’s good for them?  Hilarious. 

10 hours ago, colhint said:

Why on earth not. people are still called Brexiteers, People still think negotiations will go on for donkeys years. In years to come people will still be saying not all brexiteers are racist but all racists voted for brexit.   I think both terms will be used for ages yet. 

Not the same. 

The gammon, which I am using as you agree it's good to give insulting names based on views, call those who disagree with the Russian funded result, remoaners, because god forbid people want to remain.

Although with the moaning about anybody non white, maybe the real moaners aren't remain.

See, we can name call too.

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Taking assets that belongs to other people without their consent is called theft, not redistribution. That’s why we have the rule of law, not rule by law, to prevent government’s arbitrarily going on the rob. Today, the shares of multinationals, tomorrow?  Whatever takes the regime’s fancy.

There appears to be a misunderstanding here about how this was supposed to work.

The IOF suggestion was not about 'taking assets that belong to other people without their consent'. It was to require (some) companies, over time, to transfer a percentage of their shares (up to a maximum of 10%) to these funds either by diluting the current shareholding or to purchase that amount of shares at market value.

There may be many failings in the idea but let's criticise the actual idea not an invented one.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Taking assets that belong to other people without their consent is called theft

That's what I think when public assets are (massively under)sold to the private sector, then the profits salted away overseas.

Great Britain? We're being run like a banana republic.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, colhint said:

So what all I said that terms like Brexiteer and Remoaner and Gammon will be around for ages.

I think Gammon reflects more than just Brexit.

Actually, I have no issues with people wanting to exit the EU, that's cool, but when I ask for reasoning and they tell me it's because of the Muslims, or other faiths, then I know who I am dealing with.

Remainers are not moaners for countering the rhetoric about "foreigners taking our jobs" or defending the NHS, jobs, trade. 

Post-mortem:

ELu24BnXUAANtGX?format=jpg&name=large

What this means in practice is that about 1% of the total electorate switched directly from LAB-CON. They must each have spoken to a vox popper several times!

In the end, the 'Labour were squeezed' story is basically right, but the effects of that squeeze weren't even; in two-way northern seats Labour were squeezed by the Tories and lost the seats, but then there were other seats, particularly in the south, where they were squeezed by both Tories and Lib Dems/Greens (Stroud and Kensington for example) and that also lead to Tory victories. EDIT: meant to add, the majority of this squeeze is simply down to turnout, not direct switching.

One very important lesson that people should take from this is that tactical voting completely failed, in an election where people were talking about it much more than usual. I hope we never have to see another postcode voting site.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Post-mortem:

What this means in practice is that about 1% of the total electorate switched directly from LAB-CON. They must each have spoken to a vox popper several times!

In the end, the 'Labour were squeezed' story is basically right, but the effects of that squeeze weren't even; in two-way northern seats Labour were squeezed by the Tories and lost the seats, but then there were other seats, particularly in the south, where they were squeezed by both Tories and Lib Dems/Greens (Stroud and Kensington for example) and that also lead to Tory victories. EDIT: meant to add, the majority of this squeeze is simply down to turnout, not direct switching.

One very important lesson that people should take from this is that tactical voting completely failed, in an election where people were talking about it much more than usual. I hope we never have to see another postcode voting site.

Edit, I think I've misread the stats.

Edited by PompeyVillan

58 minutes ago, Xann said:

That's what I think when public assets are (massively under)sold to the private sector, then the profits salted away overseas.

Great Britain? We're being run like a banana republic.

Ah yes, taking back what was stolen for profit is theft. Brilliant re writing of history, I never know if someone believes it or repeats the mantra for others to believe. It probably depends on whether they are one of the 10% that get rich on under selling our assets to themselves, or one of the 41% persuaded if they sit nicely under the table there will be trickle down crumbs.

More of this:

Chris Lee, from Birmingham, suffered multiple health issues, as well as some financial problems, before his successful property company folded and he was forced to sell all his worldly possessions

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/i-went-having-5-bed-21095287

Here is the news. It can happen to ANYBODY.

34 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Post-mortem:

Good analysis. 

1 hour ago, avfcDJ said:

I think Gammon reflects more than just Brexit.

Actually, I have no issues with people wanting to exit the EU, that's cool, but when I ask for reasoning and they tell me it's because of the Muslims, or other faiths, then I know who I am dealing with.

Remainers are not moaners for countering the rhetoric about "foreigners taking our jobs" or defending the NHS, jobs, trade. 

If those on the remain side were countering with positive arguments about the benefits of staying in the EU instead of a continual stream of negative and patronising rebuttals then they probably wouldn't have picked up the moniker. There has been a complete lack of humility on the remain side and a failure to accept responsibility for their inability to effectively convey what they see as the benefits of EU membership, choosing instead to blame their woes on political opponents. I'm sorry, it does come across as moaning.

11 hours ago, His Name Is Death said:

Huh, I thought we already have an 'insurance type system', Damian? People pay in money that is pooled together and is used to pay costs of health-related claims for eligible citizens.

I believe it is called taxation. What 'insurance type system' could you be thinking of, I wonder...? 🙄

(Didn't even take them 24 hours.)

He's talking about old age care, not the NHS.

These were his comments:

"On LBC, Green said that under general taxation, those currently in their 30s, 40s and 50s will be paying both towards the care of the present older generation as well as towards their future care. 

He said: "We all accept there has to be more money to go into the system. You can pay it just out of general taxation and say it's all free, but that means that people who are currently taxpayers - that are currently 30, 40, 50s now - will have to pay towards their own care at the end of life but also they'll instantly start paying for the older generation's care as well, which I think to put it mildly has fairness implications to it.

"Or you can try some kind of insurance system so that those who can afford to take out an insurance policy should be encouraged to do so, which will buy them peace of mind."

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/damian-green-social-care-insurance-lbc-1-6425258