January Transfers 2019/20

sne

Edouard is a tidy player. Not certain he's got the holdup play if they want to charge £20m+ but then again we spent £22m on Wes who is a work in progress.

Shankland isn't good enough IMO, we definitely don't suit him even if he is. Poacher who seems to have sold his soul to the devil and can't stop scoring the last few years. We aren't good enough to be carrying a poacher right now.

Linked with Plea weren't we in the summer. He's been great for Monchengladbach this season. Probably out of our reach for January.

56 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

A winger that can finish would be nice!

Jarrod Bowen fits that bill, and his contract is up soon. 

We could do with a Maupay-type striker or a goalscoring winger. I'm happy with the formation we're playing but we need more attacking options - Wesley/Davis are fine when we need to bully defences but we could do with someone more agile on the ball in other situations.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

We could do with a Maupay-type striker or a goalscoring winger. I'm happy with the formation we're playing but we need more attacking options - Wesley/Davis are fine when we need to bully defences but we could do with someone more agile on the ball in other situations.

Agreed. Though if we do bring another striker in in January I'd be more than a little bit tempted to loan Davis out. He really is at the stage in his career were he needs to playing, and you'd have to assume his opportunities would be limited further if we sign another forward. 

Maupays movement did impress me yesterday though. 

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Shankland isn't good enough IMO, we definitely don't suit him even if he is. Poacher who seems to have sold his soul to the devil and can't stop scoring the last few years. We aren't good enough to be carrying a poacher right now.

You questioning my judgement  :P

How exactly has he sold his soul to the devil????

He used have attitude issues when youngster at Aberdeen. But has worked really hard the last few seasons to improve.... His attitude is great these days

Sir John McGinn is massive fan of Lawrence too. And they are both good friends.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-mcginn-feared-hed-robbed-20573776

“I’ve never scored a hat-trick before because I used to be a left back so I never used to get forward.

“I’m beaming, delighted. I’ve been watching Lawrence Shankland in training and learning how to finish!

“The match ball is in my bag. I might never get another one so I’m definitely going to keep this one and treasure it.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lawrence-shankland-i-can-silence-critics-like-john-mcginn-kkq9jtqgl

Like most of the best strikers, Dundee United’s Lawrence Shankland is thick-skinned and just a little self-obsessed. Playing in that position means that misses are magnified and analysed by pundits and punters alike and it takes mental strength to shrug off the criticism and put yourself back in where it hurts when the next chance comes along.

He has managed to shrug off his failure to make an impact at Aberdeen following a prolific spell with Queen’s Park and a disappointing loan spell with St Mirren to rebuild his career and his confidence with Ayr United and now with Robbie Neilson’s Championship leaders.

However, Steve Clarke’s decision to include him in the Scotland squad for this week’s Euro 2020 qualifying matches against Russia in Moscow on Thursday and San Marino at Hampden on Sunday was not universally welcomed, with former Rangers and Scotland forward Kris Boyd claiming it reflected badly on the national team that they were selecting a player from the second tier.

Shankland, though, is having none of it. “I’m not the first [Championship player] to be called up; it happened to John McGinn when he was at Hibs a few years ago, and look at him now,” he said. “He’s really kicked on and playing every week in the Premier League [for Aston Villa].

“People wouldn’t have seen that for him at the time. There are going to be critics but I’ll just look to play my football and ignore all that. I know McGinn well so I have spoken to him over the years, although we’ve not really had a conversation about that in particular.

“I was playing in the Championship at the same time he got his call up so I know the level he was at and that inspiration is something I’ve managed to use to get my chance.”

Shankland also suspects that snobbery may be behind the knee-jerk reaction to his selection. “It could be but I can see their point of view, because it’s looked upon as the second division,” said the 24-year-old. “But from the bottom six in the Premiership to the top end of the Championship, there’s probably not a great deal in it. If the goals are going in at the pace they have been [15 in 12 games] then I’m doing all right.

“Coming away with such talented players was obviously a bit daunting but I’ve done the first training session. We did a finishing session at the end and I was OK — I scored about two, I think! Robert Snodgrass was giving me a bit of stick.

“The ball will probably get moved a lot quicker at this level. It’s all one or two-touch here; I saw that this morning. It’s something I back myself to be capable of, to be able to come in and play with players like this.

“It can only make it easier if I’m getting the service of top players. Everything’s probably a wee bit sharper but I managed all right.”

Clarke confessed to being surprised a bigger club hadn’t attempted to snare Shankland during the summer but the player has no regrets. “I knew I had done well last season,” he said. “There were all sorts of rumours but no official offers came through. But Dundee United were really keen to get me every time I spoke with them and that appealed to me; that was where I wanted to go.

“There’s no guarantee that, if a bigger club had come in, I would have fancied it more than Dundee United — I may have still gone to them. I’ve just got to try to keep progressing and one day the big clubs might come round again.”

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

How exactly has he sold his soul to the devil????

Having done mostly nothing in his career he's scored around 80 goals in 90 games, it's farcical.

Best see if he casts a shadow.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Having done mostly nothing in his career he's scored around 80 goals in 90 games, it's farcical.

Best see if he casts a shadow.

He got older, he matured as he has said plenty of times  in interviews as players mature at different times, he also lost a lot of weight, and started to improve as a player & goalscorer at decent rate and now bang them in. He's still only just turned 24.years old..

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

Sounds like we wanted Maupay but couldn’t pay what Brighton were which is understandable considering how much we spent in the summer. We still need to be responsible with wages etc. We’ve all seen how much of a mess it’s got us in the past. 

It’s a shame though. He’s a good little player.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Sounds like we wanted Maupay but wouldn’t  pay what Brighton were which is understandable considering how much we spent in the summer. We still need to be responsible with wages etc. We’ve all seen how much of a mess it’s got us in the past. 

It’s a shame though. He’s a good little player.

• Like 1

Joe Lolley please. Would be a great addition. Jack on left, Joe on the right and Wes in the middle 

Could also do with another striker. 

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

Yup. And whoever that is I want him or her to have excellent pace. 

Total digression, but are we allowed to field a woman if she was good enough?

5 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

The what now?

Maybe he means the qualis for Europe with mings, grealish, mcginn, engels. I also wouldn't be too surprised to see targett get a look in over rose, guilbert to be called up to France seeing as they play pavard right back and el ghazi being called up to the Netherlands seeing how crap they are. 

January is all about the final third for me.

Striker is a priority.  Wouldnt mind a really pacey player because the threaded balls through by Jack and co, against the bigger team on counter attack might be crucial in the final tally at the end of the season

• Like 2