January Transfers 2019/20

sne

2 hours ago, Killeen30 said:

Plenty of decent players in Lower leagues that could probably step up.  It is a good grounding for young players, your comment read like you are looking down on the League.

Didn't Spurs sign Gareth Bale and Kyle Walker from Championship clubs?

We should be looking everywhere to find the best players for our club. It doesn't make sense to overlook talented players wherever they play. 

I originally said we should be looking to sign a marque attacker (preferably a winger) in the summer. My reasons are two fold. 1; to raise our profile by making a real statement of intent. 2; Because I still see Jack's future in central areas and feel if we lack a little quality it's the wings. As while I like all three of our wingers as players, at best only two of them (POTENTIALLY) are near top quality and are not there yet. So bringing someone in that is already at that standard would improve the first team, as well the squad and lay down a marker to the media, our competitors, and our own players for what we are aiming for and where we believe we belong.

As far as I am concerned Aston Villa is one of the 6 biggest clubs in England with potential to be the biggest. So while there is nothing wrong with signing Joe Lolley or Benrahma, we need to be thinking bigger, and aiming higher. Looking at player that will (potentially) get our first team to a level to compete with the top 6.

We are Aston Villa, not traditionally second rate teams like City and Chelsea were.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Phil Foden I hear whispers of! 

I could see why they'd ship him out on loan to us for half a season as we play the right sort of football. That's not to say I believe the whispers!

What I would struggle to understand is what place a number 10 (right?) would play in our squad. If Grealish stays out wide then I feel it would be a bit harsh on Hourihane/Luiz to bring in another midfielder who would jump ahead of them and also not sure it would help the balance of the team with McGinn currently playing so far forwards.

24 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Phil Foden I hear whispers of potential loan! 

OK loan I get.

Not sure we'd be their preferred destination as he'd be competing with Grealish, McGinn or Luiz for a spot.

2 of them will play and Luiz is kinda their player still :D 

Foden is supposed to be a huge talent so sure, would kinda go against our "no loan players and developing players for other clubs" motto thou.

Edited by sne

7 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I could see why they'd ship him out on loan to us for half a season as we play the right sort of football. That's not to say I believe the whispers!

What I would struggle to understand is what place a number 10 (right?) would play in our squad. If Grealish stays out wide then I feel it would be a bit harsh on Hourihane/Luiz to bring in another midfielder who would jump ahead of them and also not sure it would help the balance of the team with McGinn currently playing so far forwards.

Well I'd put Foden right push Hourihane even further forward as a shadow striker. Playmakers on both wings Nakamba holding McGinn putting himself about. That's a **** team.

No loans though!

Just now, Philosopher said:

Well I'd put Foden right push Hourihane even further forward as a shadow striker. Playmakers on both wings Nakamba holding McGinn putting himself about. That's a **** team.

No loans though!

If I thought there was any chance at all of signing him on a permanent transfer I definitely wouldn't care about someone else being pushed out of midfield. Maybe it's better he rots on the bench at City for another year or so and becomes disillusioned.

All my excitement would be based on a few highlights and other people raving about him though.

PEP GUARDIOLA claims Phil Foden is the ONLY player Manchester City will never sell — even for 500 million euros.

The England Under-21s star has committed his future to his boyhood club, despite struggling for first-team chances.

Yet boss Guardiola believes the 19-year-old is City’s future — and will be their next “magician” once David Silva leaves in the summer.

Guardiola said: “We didn’t give Foden a new contract by accident.

“He is the only player that can’t be sold under any circumstances — the only one. Not even for 500m euros.

"Phil’s going nowhere — Phil IS City. We won’t be signing anyone else for that position.

“When David Silva leaves, we know exactly who our new magician will be.”

A new book, ‘Pep’s City: The Making of a Superteam’ reveals Guardiola has been a huge fan of Foden since arriving in 2016.

'ONE OF THE BEST'

The teen attacker saw ex-youth team-mate Jadon Sancho go to Borussia Dortmund, while Brahim Diaz also went to Real Madrid.

But Guardiola picked out Foden ahead of those two and believes he is destined for greatness.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/10102684/phil-foden-man-city-pep-guardiola-never-sell-500m-euros/

6 days ago...

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Guardiola says a lot of shit I don't buy. From various incidents, he's clearly incredibly media savvy. Players saying he didn't speak to them for a whole season, but when the cameras are on them he has an arm around etc.

I'm also not expecting him to still be at City when his current contract ends in 2021. There will definitely be a will to keep him as potentially their best academy product of the modern era (after Ireland, Richard, Johnson and Sturridge didn't hit their potential).

Ultimately I think they'll do all they can to hang on and he will want to break through there, but it's impossible to predict what will happen in a few years.

3 hours ago, Killeen30 said:

Plenty of decent players in Lower leagues that could probably step up.  It is a good grounding for young players, your comment read like you are looking down on the League.

Didn't Spurs sign Gareth Bale and Kyle Walker from Championship clubs?

Im not looking down on any league, just saying that as we dont need as many players we should, IMO, look for players in a pricebracket slightly higher.

Rather see we signed one or two with a higher probability of success rather than 5 players who carry more risks.

Do you think bale and walker's path is the normal one for players taking the step up from the championship? Getting a player that turns out like bale from the championship is incredibly rare, using them as an example is a bit off imo.  For every bale and walker there is plenty of players who turned out to be flat out garbage or just meh. 

5 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Guardiola says a lot of shit I don't buy. From various incidents, he's clearly incredibly media savvy. Players saying he didn't speak to them for a whole season, but when the cameras are on them he has an arm around etc.

I'm also not expecting him to still be at City when his current contract ends in 2021. There will definitely be a will to keep him as potentially their best academy product of the modern era (after Ireland, Richard, Johnson and Sturridge didn't hit their potential).

Ultimately I think they'll do all they can to hang on and he will want to break through there, but it's impossible to predict what will happen in a few years.

Jadon Sancho, Angelino, Trippier, Schmeichel, D Suarez, David Brooks, Brahim Diaz...

No idea if he'll make it at City, they have the best squad in the world by some distance (not CB position thou :D ) but pretty sure it will be many (very successful) years before we can afford or attract him on a permanent deal.

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Jadon Sancho, Angelino, Trippier, Schmeichel, D Suarez, David Brooks, Brahim Diaz...

No idea if he'll make it at City, they have the best squad in the world by some distance (not CB position thou :D ) but pretty sure it will be many (very successful) years before we can afford or attract him on a permanent deal.

That's fair, although you'd have to say that Schmeichel is the most successful so far having won a league and I'd be surprised after all the hype if Foden doesn't have more potential.

Sancho is fair. I'd completely forgotten about him tbh, but he's still only been around for a few years and I'm assuming Foden has enough about him to reach a similar standard.

I probably phrased it wrong. What I was getting at was that they're likely to want to bring one of their best ever prospects into their team after the resources that have gone into the academy. The ones you've listed have had varying degrees of success, but I don't think any of those has had success, or even long on the pitch, with City.

I think, maybe obviously, a lot will depend on who we can sell - Nyland? Kalinic? Taylor? Elmohamady? Bree? Lansbury? Kodjia? Hogan? 

I think it's highly unlikely all of them would go, especially in January, but some of them leaving could free up some space.

What are people's thoughts on bringing Tuanzebe back? Could that be a possibility or do you think he's crucial to Man U now? I'd love him back, his versatility would improve our squad in my opinion but, he's signed a new contract with them, I suppose I may have to let this one go never.

Image result for tuanzebe gif

I think we'll definitely try and bring in a full back and an attacking player/forward (maybe two and loan out Davis [preferably for me to a high end championship team that's going to give him regular games] I'd only loan him out if we secured two attacking players though, otherwise we definitely need him)

image.jpeg.18059725dbf75a64247f14c56b740ca6.jpeg

Joshua Vagnoman is an 18 year old versatile full-back who could be a good addition to our squad.

image.jpeg.22e1305230f8b922511201a6af0d4bd3.jpeg

Calvin Stengs is a twenty year old pacy winger, could be an interesting inclusion.

Image result for agustin urzi

Agustin Urzi is a nineteen year old attacking midfielder who seems to be very good at linking play.

image.jpeg.d9299a7cbfbf4a3de424c416f48faff9.jpeg

Jonathan David is a nineteen year old forward. Seems to be quite a balanced, two footed player who looks like he could be good in the Premier League.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, tomaspg said:

Im not looking down on any league, just saying that as we dont need as many players we should, IMO, look for players in a pricebracket slightly higher.

Rather see we signed one or two with a higher probability of success rather than 5 players who carry more risks.

Do you think bale and walker's path is the normal one for players taking the step up from the championship? Getting a player that turns out like bale from the championship is incredibly rare, using them as an example is a bit off imo.  For every bale and walker there is plenty of players who turned out to be flat out garbage or just meh. 

I totally agree with your last part.  Although Tim Cahill, Damarai Gray, Daniel James, Lewis Cook, Michail Antonio, James Maddison, Aaron Cresswell, Aaron Ramsey, Joe Gomez, Jermaine Jenas, John Stones, Darren Bent amd Theo Walcott have or some will have solid Premier League careers.  Over the years there have been other, not Just Bale and Walker. 

I do get what you mean though going forward, buying less players for probably a greater transfer and a greater chance of working out a success.

• Like 1