January Transfers 2019/20

sne

22 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

So we reportedly put in a bid for Pione Sisto on the transfer deadline day, he's not currently getting any game time and Celta want to (reportedly) sell him in Jan. Can't say I know much about him any good?

Looked a real prospect a couple of years ago but has dipped since then. Would be surprised if we were after another wide man personally.

8 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Looked a real prospect a couple of years ago but has dipped since then. Would be surprised if we were after another wide man personally.

We looked really light on the wings until Jack was moved there and now it doesn’t seem so bad. 

Do you think we’ll try and sign a striker?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

On 22/10/2019 at 06:51, zab6359 said:

Young Eberechi Eze is having a great start to the season at QPR 6 goals and 2 assists in 12 starts, 90% pass success. Kind of young player I hope our scouts are keeping an eye on. 

I saw a video of one of his performances on Facebook yesterday and he looked incredible.  He seems to have that rare ability to run at full pelt with the ball never moving more than a yard from his foot, then change direction at will.  I definitely think he would fit in nicely here.

2 hours ago, zab6359 said:

So we reportedly put in a bid for Pione Sisto on the transfer deadline day, he's not currently getting any game time and Celta want to (reportedly) sell him in Jan. Can't say I know much about him any good?

Where have you seen that? Can’t say I know anything about him

He's had "issues" apparently.

I read this Danish article back in the summer when we were linked to him. No idea where he's at mentally atm.

What happened to Pione Sisto?

There was a time, not so long ago, where it was impossible to get around him - the mood bomb from Herning. Pione Sisto.

He was here, and everywhere. Profile and firm start on the Danish World Cup team, big star on a top team in La Liga and a very hot name on the rumor exchanges that sent him to the world's big clubs. It was amazing to follow his success.

Today, it's all past.

When we show on Saturday night from 8pm on TV 2 SPORT the match between Sistos Celta Vigo and Messis FC Barcelona, we do not know at all whether he is on the field. Or in the squad for that matter. Just a year ago he was the first man on the team card and even went by the nickname "Assisto" - because of his many proposals for goals. For a long time only Messi made more. This season Sisto is listed for one assist. After 35 rounds.

Over the past two months, the 25-year-old Dane has averaged six minutes per game for his team.

Several times he has been sent all the way up to the grandstand.

Maybe that's why he has had extra good time to flip over social media.

A few days ago, he declared himself the 'most hated person in Denmark' during the World Cup this summer. It happened on Instagram, where he also told his more than 60,000 followers that he has taught himself to love his 'haters' - with whom he also debated / dialogue.

Why does Pione Sisto need to roar with this right now? It's almost a year since the World Cup ended. Is it an expression of victim mentality, or does he have a point that we should listen to and take note of?

It happens in the midst of a black time purely sporting, and objectively one could easily argue that Sisto should concentrate on his training in the club and the game on the field so that he can get back into top form as quickly as possible.

Either way, the mental aspect is interesting. Football has become so gigantic big business that it can be hard to understand. The pressure has never been greater on so many players. People. They stand there, in the middle of it all; one day they are heroes. A split second later, the object of all the unreasonable and unpleasantness of those who briefly hailed them. It's raw.

I have met him several times. I was close to the national team before and after the World Cup in Russia this summer. Here I spoke several times with a smiling, welcoming and reflective Sisto who actually stands out as one of the nicest and happiest footballers I've ever met.

Now, a year later, I don't recognize him. Unfortunately. I hope to see him again soon. The good, old edition. Him who scores. And smiles. 

https://sport.tv2.dk/fodbold/2019-05-03-hvad-er-der-sket-med-pione-sisto

Edited by sne
  • Thanks 1

Weird that Sisto story has appeared out of nowhere?

Maybe Celta Vigo trying to generate a bit of buzz with an eye on moving him on.

How's about Yari Verschaeren as another wing option. Should be able to get him for less than £15m, will fit into the young squad. It'll have to happen before the Euros as it looks like he's sneaking into the Belgium squad.

Two footed, good crosser and will only improve from here.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Weird that Sisto story has appeared out of nowhere?

Maybe Celta Vigo trying to generate a bit of buzz with an eye on moving him on.

How's about Yari Verschaeren as another wing option. Should be able to get him for less than £15m, will fit into the young squad. It'll have to happen before the Euros as it looks like he's sneaking into the Belgium squad.

Two footed, good crosser and will only improve from here.

I assume we moved onto Sisto when it was clear that Benrahma wasn't coming.  It makes sense when there was still talk of a couple coming in a day or two before the window closed but then pretty early on the final day we said that we were done.  I remember being excited when we were linked with Sisto a few years ago but didn't really follow his progress.

16 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Where have you seen that? Can’t say I know anything about him

It was mentioned on here at the time and as said above, seems to be doing the rounds in the media yesterday. Looks like we may have dodged bullet if he has 'issues' 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We looked really light on the wings until Jack was moved there and now it doesn’t seem so bad. 

Do you think we’ll try and sign a striker?

Have a feeling that will be our only signing during this window. Morelos I reckon.

In January I would like us to sign both bowen and benrahma. I can see both of them costing about 30 million combined but it would give us lots of depth on the wings and bowen could play back up striker. Benrahma is also good at taking free kicks he scored a reasonable number last season and would mean we wouldn't have to play hourihane for the set piece threat. 

If we do sign them that means we have 5 wingers plus jack or 4 if you say bowen is a striker. This begs the question whether or not grealish moves back to central midfield. If this does happen mcginn needs to sit deeper so grealish can play higher and in the free role when we are attacking but be a central midfielder when we are defending. I would also like benrahma to have a free role so grealish and benrahma are constantly switching positions try and confuse the defenders. 

In the other side I think el ghazi or bowen has to play. On the one hand bowen will probably score goals more frequently but ghazi will get more assists and is probably a bigger threat from range and isn't a slouch when scoring either. I'd probably start el ghazi so you could bring bowen on for wesley late in the game if necessary. I'd be tempted to play trez and I think he could tuck in and play cm if grealish went wide but I think el ghazi or bowen provide end product which we haven't seen from trez. 

I could see us lining up like this

------------------------Wesley----------------------------

Benrahma----------------------------El Ghazi----------

---------------Grealish----------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------Mcginn------------

------------------------Marvellous------------------------

With Bowen, Trez and Luiz off the bench or Hourihane if we are chasing a goal but keeping possession.