January Transfers 2019/20

sne

1 minute ago, AV82 said:

Do we really need Pepe Reina? Seems like a waste of time and resources.

Is it? Why? He’s been there and done it, played in the Champions League and in World Cups and European Championships. I’d love him

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why not?

Almost no football played in two and a half years, alcohol problems and unprofessional behavior as recent as this season.

5 minutes ago, AV82 said:

If it means we can cash in on Kalinic and he provides stiff competition for Nyland then yes! That’s not even to mention the wealth of experience he brings to the table too. 

58 minutes ago, villanmac said:

Couldn't give a toss about Reina. In fact i wish we weren't in for him just to have a bit more clarity on Piatek.

I just couldn't stand the love in when we play Liverpool away - be like Houllier at A field all over again

5 minutes ago, AV82 said:

The notion that Nyland is good enough at this level to be our #1 for the rest of the season is madness. And that is coming from someone who likes Nyland.
If you'd have said at the start of the season that Nyland would be our keeper from Jan through to April, people would be spitting feathers and calling you mad. Yes, his performances have improved and he was superb last night, but he has been largely woeful if you look at his tenure at Villa as a whole.

Don't get me wrong, Nyland may have suddenly become a top keeper, but I wouldn't bet our survival on it and the club is absolutely right to be bringing in someone else as competition. 

• Like 3

Yes we do need Reina. Nyland is doing well, but was awful last season, he can't be definitively trusted for the rest of the season. Kalanic also looked awful last season and can't be trusted as backup. 

Reina has exceptional pedigree and was until fairly recently a first choice keeper at a top Serie A side. Reina could quite easily come in and do for us what Brad Friedel did.

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The notion that Nyland is good enough at this level to be our #1 for the rest of the season is madness. And that is coming from someone who likes Nyland.
If you'd have said at the start of the season that Nyland would be our keeper from Jan through to April, people would be spitting feathers and calling you mad. Yes, his performances have improved and he was superb last night, but he has been largely woeful if you look at his tenure at Villa as a whole.

Don't get me wrong, Nyland may have suddenly become a top keeper, but I wouldn't bet our survival on it and the club is absolutely right to be bringing in someone else as competition. 

Mostly agree - but I wouldn't go balls to the wall on Pepe Reina ....

Also Steer may be fit as early as next month.  

I would like another keeper - but let's not get into panic mode too early

AVAgent in Twitter (Private account) who doesnt tweet often but is usually on the money, says we have offered for Piatek and it is a legit pursuit.

Cant paste the link as its a protected account.

There will be other suitors but who knows?

9 minutes ago, AV82 said:

In theory you’re right. However if Nyland gets injured or has a few dodgy games in the first week of February we could really leave ourselves in the deep and smelly stuff. It could also be a case that Kalnic could be sold if we get a decent offer. I’m pretty sure Reina will be on a free, we probably won’t want to use a loan up and although his wages will be high, relative to staying up it’s a fairly risk free option for a GK of his pedigree.  

• Like 1