3 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

It'll never happen but i'd go:

Heaton

Engels.             Mings

Guilbert.      Nakamba.        Targett

McGinn.         Hourihane

Grealish

Davis.             Wesley

I do like this team, but agree it probably won’t happen.   Hourihane deserves a place in the team right now.  

8 hours ago, sne said:

Still think it would be interesting to see a

Heaton

Guilbert - Engels - Mings - Targett

Nakamba

Luiz - McGinn

Trezeguet          -          Grealish

Wesley

Davies might even be pushing for a start as his hold up play and strength is useful in bringing more players into attacking positions. 

This is exactly the formation and lineup i would play, I tip my hat to you sir....

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I do like this team, but agree it probably won’t happen.   Hourihane deserves a place in the team right now.  

Hourihane is a championship player, we need to be aiming higher than that tbh.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I'm torn on whether to start Targett but we should be on to attack at home to Burnley I'd like to see

Heaton

Guilbert      Engels      Mings         Targett

Nakamba    Hourihane    

Trez                McGinn          Grealish            

Wesley

But have a feeling we'll see

Heaton

Guilbert      Engels      Mings         Taylor

McGinn           Nakamba            Grealish

Al Ghazi           Wesley               Trez

The fact we've got a manager who never gets overwhelmed when things aren't going our way, and always tells it as it is , gives me the confidence to believe that the corner will be turned a lot sooner than some believe. 

That performance in midweek was indicative of the players desire to give nothing but their all for this great manager of ours. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zab6359 said:

But have a feeling we'll see

Heaton

Guilbert      Engels      Mings         Taylor

McGinn           Nakamba            Grealish

Al Ghazi           Wesley               Trez

I think you’re right, although with El Ghazi on the left and Trez on the right.

Either that or with Jota on the right and trez on the left.

Burnley are a tough nut to crack but this is the sort of game we need to be winning if we're to be safe this season. Therefore, we need to find a way to get in front and stay in front and not give them many opportunities from set pieces. Individually Burnley aren't great, but they're a very well drilled outfit who are comfortable sitting back. Two ex Villa players in their first 11 (Westwood and Lowton), safe to say they wouldn't get in our team these days but were always hard working pros for us at a time when Lerner was running the club into the ground. Dwight McNeil looks a talent, Burnley will do well to hang on to him, and we need to find a way to get through Tarkowski who is a very solid defender. 

Either way we need to find a way to win this one as another game without a win would be hugely frustrating.

2-0 Villa for me. 

• Like 1

I just cant see us moving Grealish out wide. Therefore, if Hourihane is to get a chance, I think he'll come in for Nakamba in the deep role. Then again, that's where his attacking ability isn't best utilised.

Smith has a tough decision alright. I wouldn't be surprised to see an unchanged side, with Hourihane maybe getting the 2nd half.

Burnley are an underrated side that will probably comfortably avoid relegation this season, nevertheless this is still a winnable game for us, we've had several of those already this season and failed to get three points from them, but we can't keep letting that happen.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

My side would be: 

Heaton

Guilbert Engels Mings Targett 

McGinn Nakamba Grealish

Trezeguet Wesley El Ghazi

Bench: Steer, Elmohamady, Konsa, Taylor, Luiz, Jota, Davis

Will very probably be the team that starts. 

Really need 3 points, not do or die yet but lose on sat and the pressure really starts to build to be getting some wins if we aren't going down. We need to win more often than not at home the atmosphere will be good so hopefully we can put on a show.

• Thanks 1

Against Burnley is there even a need to play a deep midfielder? I'm not saying Burnley are a poor side as they are an experienced PL team, but with them playing 4-4-2 there isn't a major threat in behind the midfield.

It may be worth dropping the deep midfielder tomorrow and going with either option:

Heaton

Guilbert  Engels   Mings  Targett

McGinn     Hourihane

Jota         Grealish          Trezeguet

Wesley

Or

Heaton

Guilbert  Engels   Mings  Targett

McGinn  Grealish   Hourihane

Jota          Wesley          Trezeguet

Edited by wilko154

50 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Against Burnley is there even a need to play a deep midfielder? I'm not saying Burnley are a poor side as they are an experienced PL team, but with them playing 4-4-2 there isn't a major threat in behind the midfield.           

I would say yes, playing a defensive midfielder doesn't just cover anyone breaking through the midfield, they should also drop in to the back line when we attack, this allows the full backs to bomb on safe in the knowledge we are leaving three players at the back that can shuffle across to cover their flank. Not having that cover restricts you to having either only one or neither of your fullbacks being able to push on. If you want to play Guilbert and Targett in the same team I would argue you need to have a defensive midfielder. This is especially true against Burnley who play with two strikers, if we had no defensive midfielder and both full backs pushing on it would only take one Burnley player to break the midfield line and we would be outnumbered.

• Like 4

I think Conor deserves another start, but I wouldn’t play him for Na the holding role as we know he struggles there. So I think I’d be tempted to go: 

Heaton 

Guilbert Engles Mings Targett

Nakamba 

Jack     McGinn

Trez.                    Hourihane

Wesley

When played Jota has cut in a lot so could use Hourihane in similar fashion. As the first goal on weds showed, he can run the channels well and deliver a ball in. Then when the game is stretched we can bring on El Ghazi to run at a tired and slow lowton 

Burnley are tough to break down, they will be happy to have us play on front of them all afternoon. But, we have to win this. We've played well quite often this season already and not got anything to show for it. That can't happen at home against Burnley. We must win.

• Like 1

They'll be high on us from all goal kicks, and when they get it there won't be many short balls. It'll be long floated passes out to our full backs where Barnes or Wood will have drifted wide to head it back inside.

Getting to second balls from those knock downs will keep up a clean sheet, or cost us the match.