Pre-Match The Villa v's VAR

Kingman

Looking forward to this one as it is my first home game this season to travel over too. I am expecting a tough game from Burnley, they will be physical and tough to break down. Hopefully we will be good in possession and get some good balls in to Big Wes as we have yet to do this. I think Conor needs to start also, maybe push JG on the left of a front three to accommodate this but I cant see that happening. Going for a 2-1 win. I normally go to the Aston Tavern for a few before the game but if people can suggest other places I'd gladly try them, cheers.

Edited by barryvilla
  • Like 1

We've met Burnley in the Premier League 4 times with the record evenly split, one win each and two draws. The last league game at Villa Park was decided by a Danny Ings goal in the 6th minute back in the 2014/15 season. Previous to that we defeated them in 2009/10 season 5-2 with goals from Downing (2), Young, Heskey & Agbonlahor.

The manager has said he likes competition for places and selection headaches, well the victory last night and by all accounts some good performances by many involved has given him food for thought for this Saturday - The way it should be, players performing, competing with others for the shirt and I think Smith's main choices are whether to start with the likes of Targett and Hourihane.

I personally feel that Conor should be given a start, he has done the business in both cup games and I think it sends out the wrong signals dropping him back onto the bench regardless of him performing well - he has a habit of scoring goals and his set piece credentials give us something extra. The conundrum I suppose is where you play him? - Well I must say, I prefer to see Jack in the middle dictating play, but I think maybe Saturday we play him slightly wider (giving him license to drift in-field) to accommodate Conor.  I think we still need to keep the energy levels provided by the likes of McGinn, Nakamba and/or Luiz.  

I am hoping Targett eventually displaces Taylor at LB, but I think at this stage Taylor hasn't been that bad and I would keep our back 5 as settled as possible (for now). 

My starting XI would be;

Heaton

Guilbert        Engels       Mings            Taylor 

Nakamba

McGinn       Hourihane

El Ghazi                                    Grealish

Wesley

Subs; Steer, Elmo, Konsa, Luiz, Trezeguet, Jota, Davis    

Prediction 2-1 Conor and Jack for us, Wood for them to make it a nervy finish (we wouldn't have it any other way, would we?!)

• Like 1

A win will take us within a point of our visitors on Saturday, it will stretch our unbeaten home run to three and it will also be likely to take us out of the bottom three. 

Our last league win at Villa Park against The Clarets came in 2010, when we won 5-2. Burnley won 1-0 on their last visit to B6 in 2015, but prior to that they had not took all of the points from a visit to us since 1973. Overall we have won 40 and have drawn 22, of the 98 league games that there have been between the two clubs. We won the first league meeting between the two clubs at Villa Park 4-2 in 1888 and recorded a 10-0 home win against them in 1925. I would be happy with either of those two results on Saturday, although the most recent one would also give us our third consecutive clean sheet at home! We do need to pick up points regularly at home, as we are not collecting too many, away from home at the moment. For me, we need a minimum of 4 points from our next two home games and 6 points would be even better, so a win it is. Just do it for us Villa!       

Edited by John
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Burnley the only team in the league that plays the old school 4-4-2?

Bournemouth too, Palace occasionally.  It's much more fluid these days though, I mean when Firminho drops into midfield while Salah and Mane push on, as often happens, then Liverpool are almost playing 4-4-2 with a midfield diamond.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

I actually like the look of that team but Trez ahead of Al Ghazi all day long for me.

Can't really argue and TBH I was split with this one, Trezeguet by all accounts played well last night and has been the better of the two this season performance wise (sending off aside) but I was probably swayed by El Ghazi having a longer rest period.

Either way I hope we see a massive performance from whichever one gets the nod, it could be key to us gaining the 3 points :) 

• Like 1

Still think it would be interesting to see a

Heaton

Guilbert - Engels - Mings - Targett

Nakamba

Luiz - McGinn

Trezeguet          -          Grealish

Wesley

Davies might even be pushing for a start as his hold up play and strength is useful in bringing more players into attacking positions. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sne said:

Still think it would be interesting to see a

Heaton

Guilbert - Engels - Mings - Targett

Nakamba

Luiz - McGinn

Trezeguet          -          Grealish

Wesley

Davies might even be pushing for a start as his hold up play and strength is useful in bringing more players into attacking positions. 

This!

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I'm not saying this is literally must-win, but it's the first game this season after everything that's gone on recently around VAR that has the feeling of must-win about it.  We cannot continue to let these 'easier on paper' games pass us by without picking up 3pts at some point.  Away to Arsenal does not dictate our season, but home to Burnley very much does.  Having already lost to Bournemouth & Palace, plus letting 10-man West Ham off the hook, we find ourselves 3rd bottom.  Another failed attempt at a win would make this very worrying indeed.  We're certainly playing well enough.  We just need to see these out and hope the officials don't **** us again.  I predict we will win this.  Grealish will go full beast mode and grab this one by the scruff of its neck.  I get the impression he's getting very pissed off with not getting our just desserts.

2-0 Villa.

70711432_769001773523033_530321690746001

• Haha 1

It'll never happen but i'd go:

Heaton

Engels.             Mings

Guilbert.      Nakamba.        Targett

McGinn.         Hourihane

Grealish

Davis.             Wesley

• Like 3

I'm not going to go as far as 'must win', Burnley are certainly no mugs, but we need something from this game.

What I really want is a full 90 minute performance, not one good half, one bad, no 15-20 minute lapse that costs us. I feel if we can just maintain the level we've got to in most games for the full 90 minutes we'd of picked up plenty more points.

I'm not sure I'd make too many changes, Targett for Taylor possibly, Hourihane I'd like on the pitch but it doesn't have to be from the start. Grealish and McGinn both run themselves in to the ground the first hour or so every game, and bringing him on for one of them with 20-30 minutes to go if we need a goal seems like enough time for him to make an impact.

Psychologically if we take the lead in this game we really need to hold on to it, if we don't I feel like it may begin to have a negative effect going forward.