New forward needed in January?

brummybloke

On 29/10/2019 at 20:17, A'Villan said:

Wes scores every other game, and I wonder if we had improved wide-men capable of contributing greater delivery and movement, if that kind of record could continue over the season.

but he doesn't.

The numbers may suggest that, but he doesn't in reality.

If in ten games you score 3 lots of 2 giving you an accrual of 6 goals in the first 3 games thats a goal ratio of a goal in every 1.66 games....fantastic.

The reality is you haven't scored for 7 games.....That is failing to finish all that good work.....for me, that is the central issue.

A goal a game or a goal every 2 games needs to be literally not statistically.

I haven't got the exact numbers to hand, but Andy Gray, Peter Withe and Gabby Agbonlahor wasn't too far away from each other in goals scored for Villa...... but 2 were prolific and one was hit and miss and went many, many games without scoring.

We need a goal scorer who can change a game, not tick a box.....our good play at times needs an end product from a player who can seize the moment and FINISH.

The reason why players like Alan Shearer and Thierry Henry were so revered, was because they could score in most games.....The could score crucially when the team wanted one, more of less.

However, I have not written him off.....but I think the winger issue is most relevant.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Ask yourself this.

In the games Wesley isn't scoring what does he offer the team? He doesn't win his headers, he's not involved much in the game, he doesn't really press that much off the ball

At times i actually feel we are playing with 10 men.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Ask yourself this.

In the games Wesley isn't scoring what does he offer the team? He doesn't win his headers, he's not involved much in the game, he doesn't really press that much off the ball

At times i actually feel we are playing with 10 men.

I know we all see games differently, for me I see Wesley doing a very good pressing and hold up job. The amount of times he tracks back to help defend is one of the things I like most about him.

Again all opinions but thats what I see. I wish Kodjia had done more in the cup game though, I would like to see Wesley getting some serious competition.

I'd like to see someone with a bit of Prem experience come in and put their arm around Wesley. I think he's got the attributes, I just don't think he's quite adapted to the league just yet.

Jermain Defoe is banging them in :ph34r:

I like the links with Morelos, bit of a gamble but he's young and would probably take to the Prem with his style. Maybe too similar to Wes though. 

I'd like to see us try and get Batshuayi at Chelsea, not playing regularly for them and did a great well at Palace on loan last season. Has always scored goals, whether for Belgium or at previously clubs. Think Chelsea might be unwilling to let him go but would like to see us enquire. 

Wonder if we'll revisit Benrahma in January too, or maybe look at Bowen who is killing it again with Hull this season. It would be nice to see a player of real quality come in but it's always a tough time to buy. 

8 hours ago, Mazrim said:

If you believe the rumours, we were planning on signing a striker that would have easily broken our transfer record before it fell through at the last minute.

We may well revisit that one.

I think he went to Milan 

But hopefully we have a list of options 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cbr600rr said:

origi ..does not play all the time at pool , not 1st choice.

Would be nice but Liverpool just have to much going on to let him go out on loan, just takes one injury and they would be recalling him.

12 hours ago, sne said:

Would we be able to attract a player like Donyell Malen or Steven Bergwijn or are we a season away from that position?

If we're looking at dutch league I'd like us to take a look at Gaston Pierero of PSV.

Just 24 and 42 goals in 120 games for PSV. He's not even an out and out striker, can play wide or number 10 so pretty versatile.  Has 4 goals in 9 games for Uruguay aswell.

I remember Watford were linked in the summer with 15m bid but nothing came of it, certainly worth it at that price.

5 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

I'd like to see someone with a bit of Prem experience come in and put their arm around Wesley. I think he's got the attributes, I just don't think he's quite adapted to the league just yet.

Jermain Defoe is banging them in :ph34r:

A young one thats what we want.

4 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I like the links with Morelos, bit of a gamble but he's young and would probably take to the Prem with his style. Maybe too similar to Wes though. 

I'd like to see us try and get Batshuayi at Chelsea, not playing regularly for them and did a great well at Palace on loan last season. Has always scored goals, whether for Belgium or at previously clubs. Think Chelsea might be unwilling to let him go but would like to see us enquire. 

Wonder if we'll revisit Benrahma in January too, or maybe look at Bowen who is killing it again with Hull this season. It would be nice to see a player of real quality come in but it's always a tough time to buy. 

This would be an awesome deal if we could get him on a 6 month loan with option to buy, in this market I can see him costing £30 mil. Just can't see it right now with Chelsea's transfer ban, but maybe in the summer.

• Like 1

Just got to be careful, we don't pile a load of dough in to another striker who don't deliver, Like Hogan and McCormack.

I don't think Wes will be an immediate solution, which is our frustration....but we need to be careful.

I think if we signed a player like Bowen who can score....Wes would have more time to develop with less goal scoring pressure.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, KentVillan said:

He offers quite a lot:

• Movement deep creates space in behind for the attacking midfielders (e.g. McGinn goal vs. Spurs)
  • Movement to the wings creates space central for the wingers (e.g. El Ghazi goal vs. Burnley)
  • Good hold-up play (e.g. El Ghazi goal vs Everton)
  • Calm passing around the box - e.g. the "assist for the assist" for Grealish's goal vs Brighton
  • Causes problems for keepers / defenders under high ball (e.g. wrongly disallowed Hourihane goal vs. Brighton)
  • After a couple of dud earlier games, his tracking back has actually been excellent in most of the last few matches
  • And on top of that has scored 4 goals

😂😂😂

No. 

11 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

😂😂😂

No. 

It's on and off. When he does it, he does it very well.

He does it enough for his age, level of PL experience and the stage at the season.

Yes, he could improve, be he does it well enough to justify a start every week at this point.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It's on and off. When he does it, he does it very well.

He does it enough for his age, level of PL experience and the stage at the season.

Yes, he could improve, be he does it well enough to justify a start every week at this point.  

This is pretty much where I am with him, he does it but not often enough, he'll play decent 1 in 3 games and is often absent in his poor games. He's getting picked because he's our best option currently. In hindsight he would be an understudy to a better striker. I will be amazed if DS doesn't buy a striker in January.

It's not like he doesn't have some qualities, but the idea that he has good hold up play is just wrong. 

He has the technical ability to develop it. His touch is eons ahead of Davis, but for a man his size he looks so weak. I've seen players half his size do that part of football better than him. 

If you remember Carew players bounced off him when he played with his back against the goal. This is close to what Wesley needs to do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's not like he doesn't have some qualities, but the idea that he has good hold up play is just wrong. 

He has the technical ability to develop it. His touch is eons ahead of Davis, but for a man his size he looks so weak. I've seen players half his size do that part of football better than him. 

If you remember Carew players bounced off him when he played with his back against the goal. This is close to what Wesley needs to do. 

I am not a Wesley lover, but if I was to defend him the hold up play would be the major argument for me. It's probably what he does best.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1