New forward needed in January?

brummybloke

For what it’s worth, I actually think Mitrovic would be a fantastic addition to the squad and I championed us signing him in the summer.

However, i must say that from the games and highlights I’ve seen this season, I’m really struck on Watkins at Brentford.  Could be the real deal and Smith would obviously know if he can be that player.  Wouldn’t be good value though, as the usual £20m plus would get quoted at us I suppose. 

Alternatively, we look abroad again and a possible loan to buy option.

2 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

For what it’s worth, I actually think Mitrovic would be a fantastic addition to the squad and I championed us signing him in the summer.

However, i must say that from the games and highlights I’ve seen this season, I’m really struck on Watkins at Brentford.  Could be the real deal and Smith would obviously know if he can be that player.  Wouldn’t be good value though, as the usual £20m plus would get quoted at us I suppose. 

Alternatively, we look abroad again and a possible loan to buy option.

Why sign Mitrovic when from what I have seen in Wesley we have a younger, more clinical, and superior technical player.

If I were in charge, and we are 15th or higher come January, I would only be looking at high quality 25 - 40 mill  striker or winger.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Why sign Mitrovic when from what I have seen in Wesley we have a younger, more clinical, and superior technical player.

If I were in charge, and we are 15th or higher come January, I would only be looking at high quality 25 - 40 mill  striker or winger.

We need to fill both positions but in terms of a forward I'd certainly be open to a loan if there's anyone somewhat experienced (and good) not getting enough games out there.

21 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Because Mitrovic is a much better player. Currently. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I'd like to see us sign a Maupay type of striker. We need something different up front.

I believe we are looking at players that can play inside forward, and striker, preferably with searing pace.

Maupay is a good player but is playing at close to his maximum already. Wesley has so much room for improvement and has the same in goals and assists.

I believe the Leao and Augustin links were genuine, they fit the mold. This is the type of player that will give us more options. If we had we could play 2 up top, or bring this type on to get in behind when we are leading and being pushed deep, that pace in behind is particularly potent in those situations. Will give us many different tactical option.

We could also play a very dangerous diamond. A diamond with 2 target men is easy to defend. Just push up, push your wingers to get behind our fullbacks and we get slaughtered. You have a speed merchant with a target man and suddenly pushing up becomes suicide. Creates room in the middle for the midfielders to work

Edited by Philosopher

No to Mitrovic for me. We need a versatile striker and at least one winger or forward who gets in the box to support a striker. One who scores goals. I'd look at finding the next Lewandowski and Bowen.

For a long while now people have been going on about signing Mitrovic, I really don't get it.

He's a lump whos not even that tall, his finishing is erratic, he is also slow.

There are plenty of strikers who would cost a similar amount that are far far superior players.

What's even stranger is that now we have a bit of money and can probably stretch to £40m+ on a striker yet people are still going on about Mitrovic, when we already have a striker better than him at the club.

Mitrovic doesn't create much and needs a few chances before he puts one away, from what I've seen of Wesley so far he tends to put his chances away quite consistently. If we are looking to replace Wesley (already?!) then it needs to be with someone better than him, if we are looking for back up then we shouldn't be spending silly money like 40m on a Championship striker. Thats not a dig at the championship, but that kind of money can probably get you the elite striker from foreign leagues.

• Like 3

Eberechi Eze is the player I like from the championship, probably the closest player i've seen in that division to Grealish, in terms of style of play, if we could get him for around £10m I think it would be a very good signing.

• Like 1

Juve asking £5.4m for Mandzukic in January.

Can play both centrally of on the flank.

Sure he'd love to come here and his wages would also be very modest :D 

Edited by sne

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Eberechi Eze is the player I like from the championship, probably the closest player i've seen in that division to Grealish, in terms of style of play, if we could get him for around £10m I think it would be a very good signing.

I like him too, he would cost more than that though.

If you believe the rumours, we were planning on signing a striker that would have easily broken our transfer record before it fell through at the last minute.

We may well revisit that one.

More Dutch players.

Dortmund are apparently scouting Javairô Dilrosun as potential replacement for Jadon Sancho.

Formerly at Ajax and Man C he's had a great start to the season with Hertha Berlin scoring 3 and assisting 2 in 6 games

Perhaps the lure of the PL could sway him. 

Fast technical and a good crosser of the ball.

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

If you believe the rumours, we were planning on signing a striker that would have easily broken our transfer record before it fell through at the last minute.

Where's that come from?

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

Oh yeah, I do remember now.

Bit of talk it was Ben Yedder wasn't it.

A gutting one was Alassane Plea. Perfect for what we need. Can play up front or on the wing. Dunno what happened but he stayed at Monchengladbach and is playing really well this season. We won't be signing him any time soon.