New forward needed in January?

brummybloke

2 hours ago, alexvilla4 said:

If we sell Kodjia in Jan which I am all for, and replace him with a wide forward that can also play up front and have approx £20m to spend which of the below would you go for?

Ollie Watkins - Brentford man in red hot form. Playing more as a striker than a wide forward currently. Interest from Sheff Utd. 

Demarai Gray - playing limited minutes for Leicester. Used to play for the Blues. Very quick and skillful. End product struggles sometimes. Still young enough to improve with the right coaching 

Gerard Deleufeu - not playing much at Watford and may want out if they are still bottom at xmas. Very skilful and can be a match winner. Comfortable in any front 3 position

Jared Bowen - contract expires in the summer. Plays up front or inside right. Storming the championship. Left footed. Interest from Newcaslte and Sputhanpton. 

Said Benrahma - more of a wide playmaker similar to Jack  than inside forward or a striker. Very talented and skilful. 

Nathan Redmond - Would jump at the move I imagine. May not be available for 20m. Can play all across the front 3 and proven in the prem

Don't sign any Premier League players. They are highly overpriced.

You can get as good and even better players overseas and for a much cheaper fee.

4 hours ago, alexvilla4 said:

If we sell Kodjia in Jan which I am all for, and replace him with a wide forward that can also play up front and have approx £20m to spend which of the below would you go for?

Ollie Watkins - Brentford man in red hot form. Playing more as a striker than a wide forward currently. Interest from Sheff Utd. 

Demarai Gray - playing limited minutes for Leicester. Used to play for the Blues. Very quick and skillful. End product struggles sometimes. Still young enough to improve with the right coaching 

Gerard Deleufeu - not playing much at Watford and may want out if they are still bottom at xmas. Very skilful and can be a match winner. Comfortable in any front 3 position

Jared Bowen - contract expires in the summer. Plays up front or inside right. Storming the championship. Left footed. Interest from Newcaslte and Sputhanpton. 

Said Benrahma - more of a wide playmaker similar to Jack  than inside forward or a striker. Very talented and skilful. 

Nathan Redmond - Would jump at the move I imagine. May not be available for 20m. Can play all across the front 3 and proven in the prem

should have been done ages ago, when we was in the championship.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

None of those feels particularly inspirational but probably sums up what 20m gets you. I think it needs to be a player who can play across the front 3. Someone who improves on trez and algazi but also is an option when wes is not firing.

ditto

On 01/11/2019 at 11:43, KentVillan said:

Watch the build up to the El Ghazi goal vs. Everton - excellent hold-up play by Wesley. I appreciate his hold-up play can be poor at times, but he definitely has it in his locker.

Anyway, I'm glad I made you laugh.

Very Noble and great to be positive.....but we will be praising our throw ins next.

Holding up....running the channels etc, etc is the very fundamentals.....we need much more on top.

We have to be better in so many aspects of our game to have a real chance to avoid relegation.

On 31/10/2019 at 16:52, villalad21 said:

Ask yourself this.

In the games Wesley isn't scoring what does he offer the team? He doesn't win his headers, he's not involved much in the game, he doesn't really press that much off the ball

At times i actually feel we are playing with 10 men.

In the games Wesley hasn't scored in what have the team done to get him involved in play. Pass to his feet? Accurate long balls? No they are all crap hoofs up which he has been struggling to win because he has to bust a gut to get in position. 

I don't think we should be looking at championship players that would cost us more than 20 million. I think Eze, benrahma and bowen are the players I would sign from the championship but in Jan I think we need a winger/striker with **** you pace someone who can chase our errant long balls. I also think we should sign a player from lille as they seem to perform very well in their system but so far haven't done anything 

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I don't think we should be looking at championship players that would cost us more than 20 million. I think Eze, benrahma and bowen are the players I would sign from the championship but in Jan I think we need a winger/striker with **** you pace someone who can chase our errant long balls. I also think we should sign a player from lille as they seem to perform very well in their system but so far haven't done anything 

So Victor Osimhen it is then.

6 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

He plays for lille is suspect he may struggle outside of their system like leao and pepe

He's been there for 3 months, probably not been brainwashed and assimilated quite yet :)

On 02/11/2019 at 07:39, alexvilla4 said:

Bowen for me. 

Said it in the summer i hope we are scouting Josh Sargent .... kid is super talented ... 19 Y/O USA striker @ Werder Bremen.. He has a very bright future ahead of him if he continues developing at the rate he currently is. 

Edited by thabucks

No one is ever going to overlook talent.....but talent alone without application is worthless.

you only have to look at Vardy and our own Andy Gray.

You need a player with talent yes.......but the "Eye of the Tiger" too.

I'm not sure about Bowen, seems to score a lot of goals but doesn't get much in the way of assists and lacks pace. Also not many top performing wingers from the championship go on to be nearly as affective in the premier league, Ritchie, Sessegnon, Knockaert, Costa, Cavaleiro, have all been recent examples of that, which as an aside is one of the reasons I feel El Ghazi deserves a bit more credit as so far he's doing better than most wingers that have been promoted in recent seasons.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

If we need a player to hold the ball and play off, then there’s only one real option for me:

1C716DD7-A6F4-4500-B6FA-F92DDAB637BB.jpeg

Every team needs an Akinfenwa! :clap:

Not so sure, looks like he eats the balls rather than holding on to them.....

• Haha 1

On 02/11/2019 at 12:34, TRO said:

Very Noble and great to be positive.....but we will be praising our throw ins next.

Holding up....running the channels etc, etc is the very fundamentals.....we need much more on top.

We have to be better in so many aspects of our game to have a real chance to avoid relegation.

Rubbish. Good hold up play is a skill which lots of strikers lack. Miles away from praising throw ins. (It was in response to someone questioning whether Wesley had any of the basic skills in his locker, anyway.)

Wesley's hold up play is very good, but he is getting a really rough deal from referees for some reason. I don't know if it's his body language or the way he speaks to them, or if he isn't being sly enough. But when he works out how to get the referees on side he will be a menace.

Why do we have to be "better in so many aspects of our game" to avoid relegation when we're already on track to avoid relegation? Surely any improvement in our play will see us pushing up towards mid table?

Every time I've spoken to a fan of another team we've played, they all think we will comfortably stay up. I don't want to get complacent or tempt fate, but I tend to agree that on current form we're good for a 14th or 15th place finish, even without a new striker in January.

• Like 2