New forward needed in January?

brummybloke

1 minute ago, useless said:

After ten games last season Mitrović had scored five goals only one better than Wesley has at the same point this season, and he'd also only provided one assist. He finished the season with eleven goals and three assists, also on three occasions he scored twice in one game, meaning that he only actually scored goals in eight premier league games last season. I don't think he's a bad player, but we shouldn't get carried away with the idea of signing him based off what he's doing in the championship.

That's why it's important to watch as well as read numbers.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, useless said:

After ten games last season Mitrović had scored five goals only one better than Wesley has at the same point this season, and he'd also only provided one assist. He finished the season with eleven goals and three assists, also on three occasions he scored twice in one game, meaning that he only actually scored goals in eight premier league games last season. I don't think he's a bad player, but we shouldn't get carried away with the idea of signing him based off what he's doing in the championship.

We have to balance those stats against the fact we know he was in a very poor team. The Villa team thus far has been, for me, a team that looks comfortably mid table except for the lack of edge up front. 

• Like 1

We need a different type of forward to the ones we already have.

On 2 occasions in the past we bought the player who had scored the most.....Cascarino and Whittingham

When Man Utd and Liverpool bought their partners, Teddy Sheringham and Paul Walsh respectively.

Numbers do have a significance, but it is prudent to watch them play too.....to avoid errors of the past.

A Luc Nilis or a Dean Saunders would do just fine right now.....

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Surely there's a reason why Mitrovic at age 25, and with plenty of game time under his belt, has never been a target for a bigger PL club? Doesn't he have a track record of being disruptive?

Never heard anything about that to be honest.

He's a bit nasty on the pitch but that's about it.

A rather calm family man who likes to watch telly.

31 minutes ago, sne said:

He has a difficult personality iirc from his time at Anderlecht

1 minute ago, AXD said:

He has a difficult personality iirc from his time at Anderlecht

Any details?

Fwiw he was still a teenager then, just look how far Grealish has matured since he was that age.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

We need a different type of forward to the ones we already have.

On 2 occasions in the past we bought the player who had scored the most.....Cascarino and Whittingham

When Man Utd and Liverpool bought their partners, Teddy Sheringham and Paul Walsh respectively.

Numbers do have a significance, but it is prudent to watch them play too.....to avoid errors of the past.

A Luc Nilis would do just fine right now.....

Sheringham had a lot more goals than Cascarino at Millwall, and United didn't sign Sheringham until 97. What's your point here?

1 hour ago, sne said:

I have heard stuff, but admittedly nothing particularly concrete. He does have a dodgy disciplinary record on the pitch, but that's not always a problem. Keen to find out if there is anything substantial - the lack of interest in him from bigger clubs suggests there is something not quite right, as he is reaching peak age now?

6 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Newcastle seemingly showing some interest too.

Steve bruce lazily looking at the championship top scorers list for his January shopping who'd have thought it....

(Although Bowen does seem to have more to his game than Hogan).

5 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Just checked mitrovic stats, I want him even more now.

If Fulham are not close to the top 6 by jan we really should try for him.

As a lone striker able to hold, run, head,challenge, score he has already done it in the prem.

25 years old so while not the strict find a bargain and increase his value mold we are trying to get, is potentially the quick semi guaranteed goal getter required to give us the best chance of survival this season.

Would still cost around 20 million but could save us a lot more than that by the end of the season.

He'd cost 30m +, signed a new deal at Fulham in August unless there's a low release clause in that.

Just now, KentVillan said:

Sheringham had a lot more goals than Cascarino at Millwall, and United didn't sign Sheringham until 97. What's your point here?

I have heard stuff, but admittedly nothing particularly concrete. He does have a dodgy disciplinary record on the pitch, but that's not always a problem. Keen to find out if there is anything substantial - the lack of interest in him from bigger clubs suggests there is something not quite right, as he is reaching peak age now?

Probably down to the fact that there are a bunch of strikers out there that are better than him and the bigger clubs can and are aiming higher.

Fwiw I don't think we should try and sign him either.

£40m or whatever is too rich for my blood

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Surely there's a reason why Mitrovic at age 25, and with plenty of game time under his belt, has never been a target for a bigger PL club? Doesn't he have a track record of being disruptive?

I think it's more he's just really a targetman e.g. the way he scores majority of goals at championship or premier league level is close range finishes from box.

I actually think he'd suit our style well as we do get plenty of crosses into the box as you've seen with many of our goals so far that McGinn or Grealish have scored but top clubs demand central strikers who can move around the forward line or drop deep to link play e.g. Firmino, Gabi Jesus etc.

Actually think a really good signing for us in the summer would've been Alex Isak. Was at Dortmund but couldn't break through. Real Sociedad signed him on 5 year deal. Doing o.k for them, mainly a sub so being eased in gently, two goals in La Liga. Way they're letting him develop is what we should've done with Wesley rather than starting him every single game.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think it's more he's just really a targetman e.g. the way he scores majority of goals at championship or premier league level is close range finishes from box.

I actually think he'd suit our style well as we do get plenty of crosses into the box as you've seen with many of our goals so far that McGinn or Grealish have scored but top clubs demand central strikers who can move around the forward line or drop deep to link play e.g. Firmino, Gabi Jesus etc.

Actually think a really good signing for us in the summer would've been Alex Isak. Was at Dortmund but couldn't break through. Real Sociedad signed him on 5 year deal. Doing o.k for them, mainly a sub so being eased in gently, two goals in La Liga. Way they're letting him develop is what we should've done with Wesley rather than starting him every single game.

Yeah I suggested Isak in the summer.

Think he would have been a really good signing and a steal at £6.5m

• Like 1

Just now, sne said:

Yeah I suggested Isak in the summer.

Think he would have been a really good signing and a steal at £6.5m

Did they really sign him for that low a fee?! Guess Dortmund would've asked for double if premier league club had taken him.

He's big and strong and got decent amount of pace, reminds me of a young Carew actually and scored a few for Sweden so experienced at international level.

La Real played a blinder in the summer with them also getting in Martin Odegaard on a season long loan, can see them finishing top 4 in La Liga.

I've watched plenty of Mitrović and whilst he's a good player and I wouldn't mind if we signed him, his all round play isn't so good that he's worth a massive fee even if he's only scoring in eight premier league games like he did last season, he played thirty-seven games in the league so that's twenty-nine games in which he didn't score a goal.

1 hour ago, useless said:

I've watched plenty of Mitrović and whilst he's a good player and I wouldn't mind if we signed him, his all round play isn't so good that he's worth a massive fee even if he's only scoring in eight premier league games like he did last season, he played thirty-seven games in the league so that's twenty-nine games in which he didn't score a goal.

I liked him purely for his aggression, when I checked his stats he still managed 11 league goals for a woeful Fulham team.

It was more his style of play, fight, threat in the air and from shooting and chasing down defenders. Something we currently are not seeing from our only forward and I cant imagine davis getting 10 plus goals and he does put it around more than wes.

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

We signed the wrong ones.

( At Milwalll) Tony had a goals to games ratio of 1 every 2.5 games.....Teddy had 1 every 2.36 games....so there is not much in it.

Yes I guess I missed out his time at Forest and Spurs( done without reference, off the top of my head)......but my point remains the same....we signed the wrong one out of the partnership IMO, same with Paul Walsh.

FWIW Teddy had an overall career ratio of 1 in 2.62 games.........Tony had a ratio of 1 in 2.53 games.

but getting back to the point Teddy IMO was a far better player and watching them play would tell us that without referring to stats alone.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, useless said:

This is true but whenever I saw Fulham last season which I admit wasn’t that often, he always seemed a threat and defenders couldn’t handle him.

19 hours ago, TRO said:

We need a different type of forward to the ones 

A Luc Nilis or a Dean Saunders would do just fine right now.....

Maupay reminds me of Saunders (without the mullet) , that's why he would have been a good fit here with this team and tactics.