Cameron Archer

Zatman

40 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Watkins doesn't have the passing ability for the wide role either. The pass to Ramsey which eventually led to his goal VS Forest the perfect example. That ball had to be played in front of Ramsey so he could shoot. Worked out nicely in the end, but just one of many examples.

Yeh I think he'd be better than Archer at it, but neither good enough overall. They are both the front forward player IMO, which is why its one or the other for me.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

I think he could support Watkins.

I think Watkins could play that wider role incredibly well and Archer could go down the middle as well.

He's lethal in front of goal, I think everything else he could be a fraction short of a top half PL player.

I agree if we don't get Europe (likely) he's likely to struggle for mins. £12m could be useful.

£12 mill gets his left foot. We paid 28 -33 for Ollie at the age of 24. The one thing for sure in my mind is that he isnt a good in the champ  crap in the prem striker like we have seen many times. That first finish tonight was just sublime. The second he stretches out with his supposely weaker foot. Controls it instantly and smash into the net. Movement is spot on. Hold up play still hit and miss at times just like most 21 year olds. Kane was no better with his back to goal at that age. Its the part of the game that you have to develop as in youth football your pace and strength will mean you dont have to hold it up for the most part. 

• Like 2

He challenges Watkins and Duran for the starting birth next season. 3 into 1 don’t go. Loaning him to a championship club next season is pointless and a hard sell to him too. He’s lighting it up with a team in 3rd. For as much as we are all impressed by him, nobody knows how Emery rates him. Personally i don’t see him starting for us next season, i actually think we’ll go into the market again. And with his age, momentum and how active he’s been at Boro i don’t think he’s going to want to go from that to “ minutes “ here - and it would be . Unpopular opinion, he’ll have a great career - but i don’t think it will be here. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

He challenges Watkins and Duran for the starting birth next season. 3 into 1 don’t go. Loaning him to a championship club next season is pointless and a hard sell to him too. He’s lighting it up with a team in 3rd. For as much as we are all impressed by him, nobody knows how Emery rates him. Personally i don’t see him starting for us next season, i actually think we’ll go into the market again. And with his age, momentum and how active he’s been at Boro i don’t think he’s going to want to go from that to “ minutes “ here - and it would be . Unpopular opinion, he’ll have a great career - but i don’t think it will be here. 

In this case, ideal scenario would be Boro get promoted, and take him on loan again.

We get to see if he really has what it takes to be a PL forward, and he gets games.

Depending on how that goes, we should ther take him back, or sell him for good.money

Id rather him him here but as you've said, he will be wanting to play now and you can't really begrudge him.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In this case, ideal scenario would be Boro get promoted, and take him on loan again.

We get to see if he really has what it takes to be a PL forward, and he gets games.

Depending on how that goes, we should ther take him back, or sell him for good.money

Id rather him him here but as you've said, he will be wanting to play now and you can't really begrudge him.

That would be ideal. I remember something similar with Bamford. Had clearly outgrown and was too good for the championship yet not good enough to play for Chelsea. Had a couple of ( disastrous ) loan moves then to other PL clubs. But yeah, if Boro come up or wouldn’t be averse to seeing him go to Burnley or Sheffield United either for a year. 

• Like 1

This is the reason I wouldn't sign a new striker this summer, we HAVE to give some minutes to him to properly assess him in our system in the Premier League, our new lad also needs some minutes.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, paul514 said:

This is the reason I wouldn't sign a new striker this summer, we HAVE to give some minutes to him to properly assess him in our system in the Premier League, our new lad also needs some minutes.

Dammed if ya do, dammed if ya don’t kinda situation. The people calling for Archer to get game time next season are the same who’ll be going apeshit if we don’t sign a marquee striker this summer.

Edited by Johnnyp

34 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Dammed if ya do, dammed if ya don’t kinda situation. The people calling for Archer to get game time next season are the same who’ll be going apeshit if we don’t sign a marquee striker this summer.

I’m someone calling for him to have gametime and I’m absolutely happy not to sign a marquee striker, so not sure your theory stacks up there…

Edit: which doesn’t mean you’re wrong and he might not get a shot here, and we are definitely agreed he’ll do well wherever he goes. Maybe his contribution to Villa will be a £20m fee - but I hope it’s a ten-year career.

Edited by Adam2003

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

Personally I think they are idiots when it comes to this.

Most players that come through the ranks have serious flaws even though they are technically good.

This lad has all the things down that you can't teach, that deserves a season in our first team as second choice.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

£12 mill gets his left foot. We paid 28 -33 for Ollie at the age of 24. The one thing for sure in my mind is that he isnt a good in the champ  crap in the prem striker like we have seen many times. That first finish tonight was just sublime. The second he stretches out with his supposely weaker foot. Controls it instantly and smash into the net. Movement is spot on. Hold up play still hit and miss at times just like most 21 year olds. Kane was no better with his back to goal at that age. Its the part of the game that you have to develop as in youth football your pace and strength will mean you dont have to hold it up for the most part. 

Don't disagree at all.

I think we know no one is spending £28m on him though.

If that's what we think he's worth, we absolutely won't be selling and he'll be getting a crack next year.

Something niggling me about him getting so few mins before the Boro move, but I suppose Ings was here.

I can't shake the fact that we may be just a little beyond his growth curve. I think we sell him for £25 million to a promoted club over the summer or someone desperate for goals come the winter. Unai wants another proven striker this summer, I love the idea of Archer growing at the club to eventually take over from Watkins but I don't see how we get him the requisite game time. He needs to be playing every week at a minimum. 

• Like 2

His touch is just sharp. His first last night and I remember a few for Preston. They look like easy "can't miss" finishes but it's only because his touch and movement is so sharp. It's not coincidence he's finding the time and space to finish so comfortably.

The lad scores goals. No doubt about it. However, we had Danny Ings who also scored goals and he was deemed unsuitable for the system. The system will win all the time when it comes to Unai being in charge. 

I was unsure on Watkins going into this season because he didn’t score enough. But now he has become a crucial player both in how we play and he is scoring on top of that. I want to see more of him going forward and think he should remain our key man. We have Duran as a back up but he needs more experience. I think he’ll go out on loan and a new striker will come in as an alternate option. This doesn’t leave many options for Archer unfortunately. 

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The only problem with loaning him to a prem side is that it might devalue him if he struggles. I think they might look to capitalise this summer. Strikers are in short supply, people will pay good money. 
That said, if we do get Europe, I think we’ll keep him as we’ll need the squad depth.

I think he maybe ready. Looks certain borough will get in the play offs and with the type of form him and Ramsey are in I can see them getting borough promoted. Big decisions will have to be made. 

Â