Cameron Archer

Zatman

22 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I think a natural finisher like Archer will step up to the Premier League just fine. That sort of goal sense and execution will work at any level, and I think generally players like that step up well.

Remember while he'll be facing better opposition, he'll also have better teammates. But there is absolutely no rush, and i'd be very comfortable if we loaned him back out to a good quality championship side next season if we can't give him regular games.

Sure he will score lots of premier league goals but it will take game time in the premier league and we're not going to have the patience to develop him, give him the dozen or so games to find his feet, loan him out again , if he is willing to go out on loan. However  If I was his agent i would want a permanent move to a lower prem/ top championship team, my guess is Archer will as well, he's not going to leave Borough and the end of the season to sit on our bench after his performances so far this season.

3 minutes ago, tinker said:

Sure he will score lots of premier league goals but it will take game time in the premier league and we're not going to have the patience to develop him, give him the dozen or so games to find his feet, loan him out again , if he is willing to go out on loan. However  If I was his agent i would want a permanent move to a lower prem/ top championship team, my guess is Archer will as well, he's not going to leave Borough and the end of the season to sit on our bench after his performances so far this season.

I don't see why we can't find the patience. Other teams manage to play their young stars through their development. We've even done it with the likes of Grealish and Ramsay. If we're not ready for him to be a first team player, i'd happily loan him out again to a Championship team or lower Prem team. We shouldn't be selling him unless he's bashing down the door to get out or we get an insane offer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

How do you know if he is reafy if you dont give him a opportunity.  Even in the cup game vs chelsea he came on scored made a huge difference.  Every time he has been given extended minutes he has delivered. 

Why is he not ready but duran is? 

Yes Duran has just had a few minutes in which he did well. I think hes a natural and would score goals in the Premier League if given the chance. If Boro get promoted and are keen on signing him and is guaranteed to start then he wont want to come back here and play a few minutes here and there. We could save ourselves £50 million if we just made him part of our plans. I'd be really pissed off if he goes on and has a major career at another club and full international level, because Southgate gives opportunities to players that do well at u21 level. 

• Like 1

He should have started a few games in our first team this season imo. Last season he started one game against Prem opposition, Chelsea, in the cup; scored an unbelievable header, and made all the right runs and had plenty of chances. The one other game he started for us, he scored a hat trick. Smith brought him on a couple of times for a token 5/10 minutes in the league, same with Gerrard this season. Both could have put some faith in him and gave him a start or two. He seems the type that will always get chances and more often than not, bury them.

Glad he is back out on loan and showing the world how deadly he is, just as he was for England u21s in the summer. When you think of the barren runs our strikers go through at times, just seemed a waste not to try him while he was here; but then again, Gerrard’s anti football wouldnt have got the most out of him anyway and he probably would have lost confidence. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Someone has written funny things on Wikipedia, and he appears even taller on Eurosport's site (186 cm or 6'1). In reality he is around 170 cm or 5'8. Shorter than average which is obvious just by looking at him.

Yes, there are quite a range of heights available for him on there:rolleyes:. I had always thought previously that he was around the same height as Kevin Phillips and I think he probably is, if he has anything near as effective a career as he did and scores anywhere near as often, then we will all be very happy. 

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

We picked up watkins from the championship?

He didnt seem to struggle ?

True but Watkins was really tearing up the Championship and looked like a premier league player already. Even then I had my doubts re Watkins and even now I’m not sure he’s good enough for what we want to be. Archer isn’t at the level Watkins was at in my opinion. Sure he may well get there but the clamouring for him to come back and be a key player for us seems a little premature for me. 

• Like 1

Better for Archer to be playing regular minutes than making sub appearances for Ollie.

I think there's a misunderstanding of Unai's system if they think we play with 2 up top regularly. That's only really during rest defense. Bailey doesn't play as a second striker when we have the ball.

So Archer would really only be competing for Ollie's spot unless he's somehow improved his wing play.

Better for him to be getting regularly minutes with Boro.

3 hours ago, duke313 said:

Vardy was 27, Toney was 25 and Ollie was 24 when the first stepped up to the Premier League.  Players who are about to enter or already in their peak years.  Not remotely the same as Archer.

Archer is simply not ready for the PL, why can people not accept this?

Thats just your opinion you don't know that for sure as he hasnt been given a opportunity. You could be right he might be good enough but only way we know is by giving him game time.

As you said its down to emery so be interesting to see what happens in summer 

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You don't think it's more likely that this is Duran?

I think he's come on for him the last couple times.

He's quite a bit younger than Cam and more raw. I guess we'll need to see how the rest of the season pans out for both of them, but I think Archer's the better choice right now. That could well change if Duran has a storming end to the season and makes that shirt his.

I hope Archer gets a chance, the kid is a natural finisher. If we do cash in I hope we’ll hold out for £20m plus. The likes of Solanke and Brewster both went for more than £20m and neither showed as much potential as this kid prior to their big money moves. 

Comparing Archer and Watkins is a bit silly, different players mature at different times.

The argument does work both ways though - at 21 Ollie managed 6 goals in 52 games for Exeter City in League Two. Archer has demonstrated he is more than capable of scoring at Championship level much earlier in his career than Ollie did.

But then Ollie was playing out wide back then and managed 13 assists as well in those 52 games, it remains to be seen whether Archer will ever be as good at creating chances and bringing others into play. 

Silly argument to make, nice problem to have.

2 hours ago, Steero113 said:

I've made this more realistic to reflect the hype for you. 

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Given that Duran is getting 450+ next season, we’re gonna score a fair few..

We'll still lose to Citeh and Wet Spam. 

14 hours ago, John said:

Those two goals last night! He's at the right place now, putting the finishing touches to the experience he has gained to date, to make him ready for PL games for us next season. Like Tammy did for us, he can help Boro get promoted and then get first team football with the team that loaned him out, the following season.

I think that he already looks a £15m - £20m player and this time next year that price tag may well have doubled. I look forward to him putting pressure on for a regular starting place with us next season. Height wise, he's no Haaland, but he's taller than Kevin Phillips, Gary Lineker and Wayne Rooney, and is the same height as Andy Gray and Ollie Watkins;)

Honestly, he looked tiny next to 6'0" Akpom in the post-match. So I think Archer is either incorrectly billed as 5'11", or Akpom was standing on a Yellow Pages.

• Like 1

Â