Cameron Archer

Zatman

Usually I totally get the argument that the Prem is a huge step up in quality from the Championship etc, but I'm much less concerned about this when talking about Archer as it's clear he's a purely natural goalscorer. Something we're crying out for. Just look at his goals, he's not some Defoe-esq striker who simply smashes the ball in as hard as he can, he can score with both feet, either through power or precision. If he's given service then he's got every chance and likelihood of putting those chances away in the top league.

The difficulty he (and we) have is working him into a system that Emery favours. The said, if he continues to show how good he is at 'Born this season then Emery will surely take note. 

Edited by roonst83
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The juxtaposition of a mid table manager, we as fans say we'd be more understanding of the results weren't great but he was bringing youngsters through whilst at the same time they do have to win games

If like Gerrard you're doing neither then you're ****

Yeah...i agree.

but Gerrrard was a young manager too...do we only cut the players some slack?

• Haha 3

Ultimately, I think Archer will be included in the side at the beginning of next season. We need a better squad for cups if we intend to go deep and he would have a good shot at the CF role that Ollie currently plays. It helps that Carrick plays a similar build up structure to Unai (3box3 or 325) so he would be familiar with the demands of the position already.

58 minutes ago, PaulC said:

He was given game time under Smith and I think if he'd have stayed manager he would have played a lot more. Gerrard rated him but had Ings and Watkins and the team were struggling so didnt want to risk him. Emery obviously not as he let him go out on loan but he could change his mind after the loan. There is a massive step up from championship to Premier League but Archer is young and would adapt. I just wish he was given the opportunity. Its a lot more statisfing seeing a local lad come through than splashing out £50 million on a striker. To me he looks the best finisher to come through the academy since Gary Shaw but Shaw got the opportunity and played a significant part in our title winning success at only 20. these days players dont get the same chance so who knows. 

I agree Paul..

Managers jobs are so easily lost, these days......Gary was given time to grow in a team that was a well oiled machine, and grow he did....He had a seasoned campaigner in Peter Withe to play off and learn from.....and a pacy winger to link with.

Villa in those days was in exponential growth and progress, confidence  and spirit was high....it was a well balanced side.

47 minutes ago, roonst83 said:

Usually I totally get the argument that the Prem is a huge step up in quality from the Championship etc, but I'm much less concerned about this when talking about Archer as it's clear he's a purely natural goalscorer. Something we're crying out for. Just look at his goals, he's not some Defoe-esq striker who simply smashes the ball in as hard as he can, he can score with both feet, either through power or precision. If he's given service then he's got every chance and likelihood of putting those chances away in the top league.

The difficulty he (and we) have is working him into a system that Emery favours. The said, if he continues to show how good he is at 'Born this season then Emery will surely take note. 

If he turns out as good as Defoe.....I'll be in clover.

Defoe's scoring rate was 2.5....that'll do for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roonst83 said:

Seems like a weirdly harsh take on Defoe who had a great scoring record and incredible longevity in the top flight, and also seems weird because I've seen Archer specifically compared to Defoe a couple of times. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roonst83 said:

I get your point is more about style of finisher but I doubt he will ever be as good as Defoe. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I get your point is more about style of finisher but I doubt he will ever be as good as Defoe. 

Oh yeah, I wasn't suggesting Defoe wasn't a top striker. I just meant Archer has more of a natural goal scorer finish to him.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Seems like a weirdly harsh take on Defoe who had a great scoring record and incredible longevity in the top flight, and also seems weird because I've seen Archer specifically compared to Defoe a couple of times. 

Wasn't meant as a dig to Defoe at all. Just a comparison for finishing styles. 

5 hours ago, roonst83 said:

Oh yeah, I wasn't suggesting Defoe wasn't a top striker. I just meant Archer has more of a natural goal scorer finish to him.

I keep seeing that he is a natural goal scorer, but I don’t think this is true. Outside of the last couple of yrs, he never been prolific. He wasn’t talked about much at youth level and wasn’t scoring loads of goals. All credit to him he’s obviously worked very hard to improve. 

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

I keep seeing that he is a natural goal scorer, but I don’t think this is true. Outside of the last couple of yrs, he never been prolific. He wasn’t talked about much at youth level and wasn’t scoring loads of goals. All credit to him he’s obviously worked very hard to improve. 

Some people develop later than others, Harry Kane wasnt really talked about in similar circumstances as a potentially natural goalscorer until he was about 22

if anything the natural goalscorers from youth football are the ones that dont seem to make it at the top level. 

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Said it before and will probably say it again. He was so small he couldnt make the most of his talents. He couldnt play as a striker because he would just get overpowered. He wasnt prolific but he was still a really good finisher when he did get chances.  As soon as he grew into a man things changed. He got powerful and was more able to hold off defenders. As you say he must have worked so hard in thr gym to gain the strength needed

Then you get a prolific striker like Louie Barry lauded throughout Europe who has not kicked on yet. This happens all the time . He still has time but i think its becoming less and less likely he will make it. Despite working with a personal trainer he isnt strong enough to make a difference in mens football it seems at the moment. 

Same happened with Luke Moore and Gabby. Gabby improved out of the blue when he grew into a man while Luke who had been rated since 14 9r 15 never really kicked on at 21 and faded away . I think Gabby was playing sunday league at 14 ,15. 

Just the way football is. A sure thing at 17 can disappear by 19 and vice versa. 

• Like 2

On 17/02/2023 at 08:52, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Case in point: Bailey, I don't think he's ready for the Premier League either.

Archer has instinct and the ability to score all kinds of goals. He just needs some experience.

Agreed, 

Said in the R&R Thread, If those 2 chances in injury time (Bailey/Duran) fall to Cameron Archer then we win 4-2 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

To stop spamming up the Duran thread.

I guess for me, I don't quite share the level of optimism some have for Cameron - he's a good young player and one who should have a decent career, but I think he may already be at his ceiling. 

I see him, if he reaches his potential, having a similar kind of career as a sort of Dwight Gayle or Andy Weimann type - bouncing between the upper Championship and lower Prem, scoring some goals but not really making the jump to the top level.

I think he'll be well liked somewhere, and justifiably so, but I don't think he's going to push through and drive us to where we want to be.

Cashing in this summer with his value at its highest would, in my opinion, make a lot of sense.

• Like 2

Â