Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

I love Marv but he’s not really a PL player. If Luton pay anything I’d be delighted. £10m seems fanciful. You can give me all the logic you want on it but he can’t pass the ball fast enough at PL level - yes they need some scrappers like him and he’s a good signing for them for that reason, but it’s not like they’ll struggle to find another midfielder of that standard.

33 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

The Zimbabwean media reported he was earning £55k pw, so you could imagine why it might be an issue, if that was indeed correct or close to the wage. 

We really gave him that much when he signed in 2019? He was probably on 10-15k in Belgium and I doubt likes of McGinn and Konsa got that wage in their first contracts here.

Probably a split is going to happen as you'd assume Luton can stump up 25k.

4 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Who are you going to get better for £10m, at a good age and with loads of PL experience (not to mention settled into the team). Pay up or piss off.

Their plan B is Ben Pearson from Bournemouth.

I think Luton know they're going straight back down so it's important to they don't overstretch themselves filling squad full of 40-50k players.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We really gave him that much when he signed in 2019? He was probably on 10-15k in Belgium and I doubt likes of McGinn and Konsa got that wage in their first contracts here.

Probably a split is going to happen as you'd assume Luton can stump up 25k.

Yeah I would have thought he'd be on around £30K maybe coming from the Belgian league. Saying that even £20K would be a lot for Luton to pay. Their highest earners are probably on half of that currently.

• Like 1

Presumably we'd still owe Nakamba a hefty chunk of his salary anyway as a loyalty bonus.  He hasn't exactly requested a transfer. 

He's clearly not just in the game for the money, but he does use his money to help those less fortunate, and so he will still want to get as much as he can to help his foundation.

Maybe we're trying to cover his loyalty payment plus a bit of FFP profit for us. and Luton, in meeting this, don't have enough left to give him the salary he wants. That is then on Nakamba and noone else.

If we drop our asking price to forgo the loyalty payment, that money is then still going to come out of Luton purse in the form of a higher salary that Nakamba will want to make up for the lack of loyalty payment. 

Fundamentally, we aren't a charity, Luton are a PL club, and if they can't afford him we need to see who else can. If Nakamba only wants to go there (I doubt that's the case) he'll have to accept whatever they can afford.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think Luton know they're going straight back down so it's important to they don't overstretch themselves filling squad full of 40-50k players.

Thet better get those relegation wage drop clauses right. Presumably a lot of players had promotion wage increase clauses that Luton maybe never expected to get activated. That could be a big hit to their spending power to. 

51 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Who are you going to get better for £10m, at a good age and with loads of PL experience (not to mention settled into the team). Pay up or piss off.

Spot on, his stock went up a lot after that stint in the championship, if they won't pay someone else will , no point in loaning a player in final year of contract unless it's a Wesley situation where they have zero chance of a move

Edited by pete101
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Good for them, no excuse to waste our time though.

Either pay up or do one.

Edited by AshVilla

3 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Either pay up or do one.

How exactly should they ‘do one’? It’s either offer our asking price or don’t - at the moment they’ve seemingly chosen not to. At some point they might. What do you think either party should do differently?

Just insert a relegation clause back to £20k a week if they go down. 

I'm sure he'll have enough food in the fridge, My heart bleeds for these poor words removed 

5 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Either pay up or do one.

We did wait until mid July to pay Bournemouth what they wanted for Mings IIRC. He'd have been happy to sign the day after promotion so that is classic example of brinksmanship given Bournemouth knew how crucial he was going to be for us (and in the end that helped relegated them).

I think Luton will eventually get Nakamba as he's the obvious signing for them. Someone with reasonable prem experience and given they won't have a huge amount of the ball next season in most games they need players who can dig in and scrap.

Perhaps six month loan deal with obligation to buy in January is more likely if that's allowed in the rules.

6 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Crazy that a Premier League side claims it cant afford Nakamba’s wages.  What cheaper option do Luton plan on signing? 

Yep same with Davis last year at Forest. Bunch of tramps 😜 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, nepal_villan said:

Crazy that a Premier League side claims it cant afford Nakamba’s wages.  What cheaper option do Luton plan on signing? 

We are notorious overpayers tbf and it shows in how we've struggled to get rid of some "decent" players the past few years.

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

Yep same with Davis last year at Forest. Bunch of tramps 😜 

tbh, if i remove my Villa spectacles.....

Davis is injured most of the time, and probably not worth premier league wages, i wouldnt have signed him if i were Forest, although as a Villa fan, i hoped they would.

Nakamba certainly isnt worth PL wages, he is high level Championship quality, i would only consider him if i were Luton, if he had a hefty relegation wage reduction clause in his contract.

It's not a big issue. Naka only has 1 year left on his current contract. So whatever gap between his current wage and what Luton would offer is just for one year.

I assume Luton are offering as much as any club would in terms of wages for him

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It's not a big issue. Naka only has 1 year left on his current contract. So whatever gap between his current wage and what Luton would offer is just for one year.

I assume Luton are offering as much as any club would in terms of wages for him

It's a win for us if we get a fee that covers the remaining amortised ffp cost of his purchase price + the salary we owe him.

The remaining book value is 2.2m.

The salary we owe him is about £1.8m.

So presumably we're looking for at least a 4m fee.

Given Nakamba is going to get most/all of that 1.8m by way of loyalty fee for not submitting a transfer request, surely he'd accept whatever salary they're offering him on top. And presumably they're offering a reasonable amount even if it isn't normal PL wages.

Maybe his expectations are misaligned because of when he signed for us.

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

And then go on to waste money on several strikers 

Awoniyi is a good player/signing to be fair,  and they got him for the reported fee they didn't want to sign Davis for. Without checking I'd guess his PL goals total last season isn't far off what Davis has scored over his entire career.

Â