Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Just now, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Yet if either were to leave in the Summer it would be to a team playing in Europe.

Luiz maybe, possibly he would look better in a Man City type team where he has ages on the ball, and little defensive responsibility..........unfortunately we arent one of those teams.

With regard to McGinn, i would literally give you £50 if he proved a success at a top team, he has some big strengths, but some glaring weaknesses, like he cant pass the ball 5 yards properly, and has zero composure in tight spaces.

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

With regard to McGinn, i would literally give you £50 if he proved a success at a top team, he has some big strengths, but some glaring weaknesses, like he cant pass the ball 5 yards properly, and has zero composure in tight spaces.

Spot on. McGinn would only begin to look worse at teams above us.

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Jesus. The dude never has any options when he receives the ball. So he is forced to go back. When players actually come short and want to play football he is central to everything we do. Probably our 4th most important player behind Mings, Martinez and Buendia. 

He's the only one today who played some clever short passes.

5 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Yet if either were to leave in the Summer it would be to a team playing in Europe.

If McGinn did ever go to United, I would give it a handful of games before he's found out and the fans start to get on his back.

16 minutes ago, Xela said:

If Luiz left here, he'd go to a far better team than us and no doubt have a very good career. 

Maybe but I’m prepared for us to take the risk. He doesn’t do enough in our team to justify his place.

3 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

We had 63% possession today. That doesn't happen without Luiz. We just need to consistently make good runs, or come short for him. As he's very good at playing short football or playing balls over the top. We just don't play to his strengths really. 

Teams just run through the middle of us every week. That doesn't happen without Luiz. He's a shocking player.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Teams just run through the middle of us every week. That doesn't happen without Luiz. He's a shocking player.

tenor.gif

I don't know how anyone can unironically say this. He is in general very good at stopping threats. Sometimes yes a player will run up the pitch with the ball at their feet but it happens to every team. And very rarely is it Luizs fault. He often gets a foot in, in those situations. It's just no one else on the team recovers the ball. 

• Haha 1

He needs to be playing more forward, just have to look at his goals the other season from outside the box, never see McGinn scoring outside the area since we got promoted, if we got rid of him we would regret it in years to come

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, rbcuk said:

He needs to be playing more forward, just have to look at his goals the other season from outside the box, never see McGinn scoring outside the area since we got promoted, if we got rid of him we would regret it in years to come

5 of his last 6 goals for Villa been from outside the area

• Like 3

14 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

tenor.gif

I don't know how anyone can unironically say this. He is in general very good at stopping threats. Sometimes yes a player will run up the pitch with the ball at their feet but it happens to every team. And very rarely is it Luizs fault. He often gets a foot in, in those situations. It's just no one else on the team recovers the ball. 

No, that's Nakamba. Luiz just goes completely missing or does stupid, pathetic shirt pull type fouls. Whenever he gets the ball all he can do is 5 yard passed backwards and slowly. Really hope he gets sold in the summer as he is holding us back right now.

• Like 1

Be interesting if Nakamba was not out injured for so long would the club have given one of the offers that came in for him serious consideration. Can't see the club getting anywhere near £35 million for him in the summer and don't think he will sign a new deal either.

I have come to realise luiz isn't comfortable at sitting. He looks to me like he wants to be in the thick of the action. But playing as a DM he has to stand off, when he would like to close down, he can't use his pace to burst forward, and press, as he has to sit back. You could play him as a DM if he was the most attacking of two DM's. But as a lone DM he doesn't seem to know whether to sit or close down. If he is allowed to run he can use his speed to win the ball, but when he is static he is simply too lightwieght to stand up to players bigger than him. Then his positional sense isn't really good enough for the role. He is a player that should be moving a pace, not sitting, and anchoring.

24 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

"a shocking player" is just such a awful take. He might not be naturally a DM, but a shocking player - have a word.

On the other hand, you are advocating Nakamba as the answer - who is definitely not a better player than Luiz. Luiz will go higher than Villa, Nakamba won't go higher. Nakamba is fine if you want to absorb sure, but Luiz is better if you want to play football. He is out-of-form but there is also a reason why he has been our number 1 DM for 2.5 seasons now, and has been called up by Brazil, bought by Man City, and rumoured to be monitored by Arsenal and City again.

You strike me as the sort of fan who starts crying at the players as soon as they don't go forward, but then moans at them if they give it away playing ambitiously.

You have absolutely no idea what kind of fan I am. I'm probably one of the most positive, realistic and patient fans on here and it takes A LOT for me to moan at any Villa player. Feel free to read through my posting history. My patience has run out with Luiz though.

Luiz might technically be a better footballer on the ball than Nakamba, but give me Nakamba protecting the back 4 over Luiz 8 days a week. Luiz offers zero protection. Absolutely none. He's not a defensive midfielder at all. And to honest, I don't really see him offering much going forward either. I'd snap someone's hands off if they offered £30m.

9 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

You have absolutely no idea what kind of fan I am. I'm probably one of the most positive, realistic and patient fans on here and it takes A LOT for me to moan at any Villa player. Feel free to read through my posting history. My patience has run out with Luiz though.

Luiz might technically be a better footballer on the ball than Nakamba, but give me Nakamba protecting the back 4 over Luiz 8 days a week. Luiz offers zero protection. Absolutely none. He's not a defensive midfielder at all. And to honest, I don't really see him offering much going forward either. I'd snap someone's hands off if they offered £30m.

I think we are all frustrated that we've not only stagnated, but even perhaps slightly regressed. However Luiz is, for me, a gifted player with vast potential. Nakamba has been a good answer to tactical shortcomings and played his role well consequently. He's no where near a better player than Dougie. Dougie was destined to be the replacement of Fernandinho at City, until they pulled the trigger and brought in Rodri and Gundogan. And that's why we were fortunate enough to land him.

Luiz took Mings job from the previous game

Mings left out to dry by the rest of the team vs Leeds

Luiz left out to dry by the rest of the team vs Newcastle

We need to fix the structure of the team (or implement whatever is the plan). 

Neither Mings nor Luiz can defend vs 3-4 opponents without any support.

• Like 2

Â