Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

29 minutes ago, useless said:

Under normal circumstances I don't think there's anyway we would be turning down £25m for a player of Luiz's ability, with less than a year left on their current deal, and that player supposedly wanting to leave. So I think there's more to this whole thing than meets the eye.

don't think it's too complicated. their final bid came too late for us to get a replacement

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, av1 said:

Happy to keep him but turning down a decent offer (considering he’s free in the summer) for a player the manager doesn’t play is a strange decision. 

It's only strange if Gerrard is staying.

Therefore, I choose to believe that this means he's going. And our owners are confident they'll persuade Luiz to stay when the new manager comes in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigJim said:

Has the fat lady sung yet?  Seem to remember Arsenal used to be experts at getting deals done after everybody else thought that time was up.

Including Arshavin three days after the window because it was snowing in Russia… and he then banged in a goal a game for them to leapfrog us into the CL spots that season.

• Like 1

The positive I take from this is our owners will not be bullied by so called 'big clubs'. I would hazard a guess that Arsenal were way too arrogant about how they approached this and left it way too late. 

I think maybe keeping Luiz for the rest of the season and him potentially going on a free was a price worth paying. If he's professional, and I think he is, he will knuckle down and work hard which is of huge value to us.

Of course he may also know / suspect that his main detractor in the shape of Gerrard is leaving imminently.

Just posted on the Guardian...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/sep/01/arsenal-fail-with-late-push-for-douglas-luiz-after-aston-villa-reject-three-bids

There was the sense at Arsenal that a deal could be possible when, after a 2-1 win over Villa on Wednesday night in which Luiz scored direct from a corner, Edu and Luiz held an upbeat conversation. Luiz made it clear to Villa that he wished to leave, ostensibly with an eye on regaining his Brazil place for the World Cup. 

If true, it sounds like a last minute thing.

If he's worried about his World Cup chances, it sounds like he's upset about his lack of playing time, as we all suspected.

• Like 1

Sky saying last week we’d made noises that £20m would secure him

I’m taking that to mean they’ve decided to move on from Gerrard and gambling the new manager will see Luiz renew his contract 

• Like 2

Finally sky come out and speak the truth. Whether we have a year left on Luiz contract or not Villa are owned by partners with a net worth of around 12 billion. So if they choose to reject an offer then they can do and cannot be bullied. 

Nice to not be treated like we are a nasty little club ruining Luiz dream . 

Luiz has had plenty of chance to sign a deal. And he hasnt. I feel for him a little bit as that would have been a brilliant move for him, but the fact his agent has dragged the contract out

• Like 1

Fair play to the owners for not bending over for this one , even if he signs a pre contract agreement elsewhere in January we’d still get ok poke for him , but il put my money on SG gone soon and new guy knows a baller when he sees one , Dougie signs a 3 year deal , job done 

• Like 3

Â