Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 hour ago, messi11 said:

I'm gutted he staying tbh
Missed out on £25 million. Should of cashed in. That's big money for a player with 1 year left on his contract who frankly not good enough to be the Aston Villa Number 6 or 8 and had not really improved since we signed him 

We go into the new season with same problem we had for the last 3 PL seasons, A weak midfield + Kamara 

Have. Should have cashed in. And no we shouldn't have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You make out queues of clubs are lining up with 25m in their hands ready to sign him. 

Other way of potentially looking at it is that we will have saved 25 - 40 mill trying to sign another 8?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Still think we need another CM, regardless of Dougie staying (potentially).

I do too, I'm think if Doug does stay, surely means the end of Sanson?

Do we then sign another midfielder who can do the defensive job so that even if Kamara is injured, Doug stays an 8.

It's also easy to forget that we still have Nakamba, do we promote Iroegbunam, or send him out on loan?

Sometimes I think it's not even that we need a load of players, we just need to find the right balance in the squad.

A few key players may gut improve all the others.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I do too, I'm think if Doug does stay, surely means the end of Sanson?

Do we then sign another midfielder who can do the defensive job so that even if Kamara is injured, Doug stays an 8.

It's also easy to forget that we still have Nakamba, do we promote Iroegbunam, or send him out on loan?

Sometimes I think it's not even that we need a load of players, we just need to find the right balance in the squad.

A few key players may gut improve all the others.

For me if Luiz stayed then we’re sorted. Keep Nakamba, sell Sanson and loan Tim. Assuming Chuk stays aswell. 

• Like 1

I think Dougie and SJM are just ok. They have good aspects to their game, and not so good.....and imo one of the reasons why we are midtable.

What I don't see in their game, is a regular authority required to be more consistent......If we don't find this from somewhere, I don't see the aspirations some folk have.

Dougie is easy on the eye, but doesn't really impose himself on the opposition.....John is just hit and miss....Brilliant one minute, nondescript the next.

I see both as squad players in their current form.....not necessarily anxious to see them leave, but not convinced with their output consistency.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

I think technically is really good and it would do great in Italy if the interest from AC Milan and Roma is to be believed. However if he did stay then and is given the chance to play as a no.8 then he might start proving what a good player he is. MCginn lacks consistency and Ramsey might find it harder to make a similar impact next season now that hes a known factor. 

That Instagram post is a positive one in my view.

Douglas and Alisha also seem very much in love and I can't see either of them moving on just now.

I also really like Luiz as a player and at only just 24 he's getting better, hopefully he can play some games in his natural position and show us how good he is.

Kamara - Nakamba - Iroegbunam for the defensive roles...

Luiz - Ramsey - McGinn - Chukwuemeka for the centre midfield.

There's a good balance there, presumably Sanson gets sold.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

That Instagram post is a positive one in my view.

Douglas and Alisha also seem very much in love and I can't see either of them moving on just now.

I also really like Luiz as a player and at only just 24 he's getting better, hopefully he can play some games in his natural position and show us how good he is.

Kamara - Nakamba - Iroegbunam for the defensive roles...

Luiz - Ramsey - McGinn - Chukwuemeka for the centre midfield.

There's a good balance there, presumably Sanson gets sold.

Which is fine as long as we aren’t in a situation where 2 of the 4 CM’s leave on a free next summer.

• Like 1

You can see he loves being around Coutinho, Diego Carlos is here now too, its not a bad thing to stick around Dougie. Just hope he does the honourable thing and signs some sort of extension so that we can recoup some sort of fee if he does want to move on. Long shot but you never know.

• Like 1

I thought he played within himself a lot towards the end of the season. I didn't enjoy that. I'd rather sell and replace at this point I think, as good as I think he is.

The story has changed a bit on him, it's weird. When he joined, even he said he preferred the holding position - it's where he played for Brazil U21s and Girona. Just because he's been outshone by players like Nakamba who are well short of his ability, it's now he doesn't want to play there and he should be further forward. I think he has a lot more to prove as an 8 than a holding player.

I think his career is totally dependent on how bothered he can be to push himself. If you could guarantee he will persevere, I'd definitely want him to stay, but that's in doubt a bit now IMO. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I thought he played within himself a lot towards the end of the season. I didn't enjoy that. I'd rather sell and replace at this point I think, as good as I think he is.

The story has changed a bit on him, it's weird. When he joined, even he said he preferred the holding position - it's where he played for Brazil U21s and Girona. Just because he's been outshone by players like Nakamba who are well short of his ability, it's now he doesn't want to play there and he should be further forward. I think he has a lot more to prove as an 8 than a holding player.

I think his career is totally dependent on how bothered he can be to push himself. If you could guarantee he will persevere, I'd definitely want him to stay, but that's in doubt a bit now IMO. 

Brazil used him in a double pivot (insert gif) alongside a more defense oriented DCM and that's how a lot of us think he would be best used as well. Remains to be seen if that would work or if there are any plans to use that formation. 

20 hours ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Still think we need another CM, regardless of Dougie staying (potentially).

Nah let’s give DL a real shot with a proper 6 behind him and give Chuk a shot at breaking into the team.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Did he ever actually say this? I definitely remember him saying he preferred the holding position, which is why I've been sceptical of people claiming he now prefers the number 8 position.

It sounds like something that was just made up and people ran with it because it fits with the narrative of how he's so much better as an 8 and has been shoehorned as a 6 this whole time. Which itself was not a popular opinion until relatively recently mind you.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Nah let’s give DL a real shot with a proper 6 behind him and give Chuk a shot at breaking into the team.

Nah, let's just sign more players instead because fans are bored! :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Â