Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

6 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Did he ever actually say this? I definitely remember him saying he preferred the holding position, which is why I've been sceptical of people claiming he now prefers the number 8 position.

It sounds like something that was just made up and people ran with it because it fits with the narrative of how he's so much better as an 8 and has been shoehorned as a 6 this whole time. Which itself was not a popular opinion until relatively recently mind you.

Gerrard "He's doing us a job as a No.6 at the moment. We know that he maybe prefers to play a bit more advanced but he's helped us out an awful lot on the back of Nakamba's injury” 

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-arsenal-douglas-contract-22866041.amp

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

Which is fine as long as we aren’t in a situation where 2 of the 4 CM’s leave on a free next summer.

Who is the other midfielder? We will get money for Carney but will be lower than expected 

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

I thought he played within himself a lot towards the end of the season. I didn't enjoy that. I'd rather sell and replace at this point I think, as good as I think he is.

The story has changed a bit on him, it's weird. When he joined, even he said he preferred the holding position - it's where he played for Brazil U21s and Girona. Just because he's been outshone by players like Nakamba who are well short of his ability, it's now he doesn't want to play there and he should be further forward. I think he has a lot more to prove as an 8 than a holding player.

I think his career is totally dependent on how bothered he can be to push himself. If you could guarantee he will persevere, I'd definitely want him to stay, but that's in doubt a bit now IMO. 

As @Zatman has also mentioned he hasn’t really had a proper summer off for 2 seasons. Maybe he was a little fatigued ? 🤷🏽‍♂️ 

22 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You make out queues of clubs are lining up with 25m in their hands ready to sign him. 

Why wouldn't they? Brazil international in early 20s who's already had four full seasons as regular in major leagues with potential to improve further.

Everton and a few other clubs want Harry Winks so why wouldn't Doug be on some european teams radar. People seem to think our squad is as good as top 6 teams....yet no one will ever pay any money for any of them while top 6 teams sell their squad players for 20-30m which is what Spurs want for Winks apparently. Luiz also signed just one contract for us in summer 2019 so he's probably "only" on 40-50k which is really peanuts wages for many clubs in europe.

I'm in two minds. He's a good player but I just don't think he's played that well under Gerrard to most of his time under DS and I'd hate to think Kamara would be our only midfield signing, that would be another fudge for midfield area in my book.

Not sure IG post means he's staying anyway. Could mean he's on verge of leaving us so he's just showing his thanks for the last three years here and part we've played in his career given he won his first Brazil caps playing for us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Why wouldn't they? Brazil international in early 20s who's already had four full seasons as regular in major leagues with potential to improve further.

Everton and a few other clubs want Harry Winks so why wouldn't Doug be on some european teams radar. People seem to think our squad is as good as top 6 teams....yet no one will ever pay any money for any of them while top 6 teams sell their squad players for 20-30m which is what Spurs want for Winks apparently. Luiz also signed just one contract for us in summer 2019 so he's probably "only" on 40-50k which is really peanuts wages for many clubs in europe.

I'm in two minds. He's a good player but I just don't think he's played that well under Gerrard to most of his time under DS and I'd hate to think Kamara would be our only midfield signing, that would be another fudge for midfield area in my book.

Not sure IG post means he's staying anyway. Could mean he's on verge of leaving us so he's just showing his thanks for the last three years here and part we've played in his career given he won his first Brazil caps playing for us.

I could be wrong but I just don’t think there’s that many teams out there that have 25m available for Dougie. Especially when he will be free next season. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I could be wrong but I just don’t think there’s that many teams out there that have 25m available for Dougie. Especially when he will be free next season. 

Probably more 15-20m range tbh. Would be similar to Targett. Three years of keeping us up and establishing us as premier league mid table club and we move them on for fee we paid pretty much although given Doug's age and potential that's underselling him probably.

Don't see any room for us to sign another CM if he stays tbh.

Gerrard loves McGinn and plays him as much as DS did. Would make no sense for Ramsey to go back to being squad player after the impact he made last season, just needs to be rested for odd game. Coutinho here full time is obviously going to start vast majority so can see situation in September where half of VT is out with their pitchforks because Buendia is only a 15-20 minute impact sub....

And all that is without throwing another striker into the mix.

36 minutes ago, ZL- said:

I'm really hoping we announce a Dougie extension as it will be as good as having a new CM for me. He isn't devoid of blame throughout his time at Villa as one of the longer serving members of the squad now in a position we have been notoriously weak at.

However the difference with him as an 8 vs 6 really shows him as completely different player. I think he'll retain the combative nature from his time learning the 6 role but his best attributes is the ability to link play on the half turn and feed players such as Buendia and Coutinho without them having to drop too deep. We don't really have anyone of this passing profile in the squad and I really think he will combine very nicely with the possession comfortable Kamara, allowing Ramsey to focus on his main attribute of 3rd man runs into the box.

The above highlight reel doesn't show the improvement to our possession play he brings but even for the increased output in final 3rd the role change will be much appreciated.

Looks good enough to me. Still young, still potentially improving.

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As he's currently holidaying with Alisha..... I don't see him really having this summer " off " either.

Currently in the holding position before moving towards much more forward play straight down the middle of the park. Hopefully will slot it home before the two up front can distract him too much. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

That Instagram post is a positive one in my view.

Douglas and Alisha also seem very much in love and I can't see either of them moving on just now.

I also really like Luiz as a player and at only just 24 he's getting better, hopefully he can play some games in his natural position and show us how good he is.

Kamara - Nakamba - Iroegbunam for the defensive roles...

Luiz - Ramsey - McGinn - Chukwuemeka for the centre midfield.

There's a good balance there, presumably Sanson gets sold.

Those two lists show exactly why we need at least one more midfielder even if Dougie stays.  From a defensive perspective: Kamara is young and has never played in the PL, Nakamba isn't good enough for the PL (or at least not the top half) and Tim is a rookie.  From a central midfield view - any two from Luiz, Ramsey and McGinn have a tendency to get over-run when we are not on top of a match and Chuk has masses of potential but has yet to do much on the big stage.  We are one injury away from having the same midfield (and by extension the same issues we have had in midfield) as we have had for the last 2 - 3 seasons - and this has been the area that has caused us the most problems.  There is no balance.  If Kamara is injured we don't have any defensive cover and Luiz and McGinn will still be playing too many minutes.  I hope Luiz and McGinn stay but if we are really aiming at top half next season then they need not to be starting every match and (if they do start) they need to be not be finishing many matches.  If JJ and Chuk are their only competition then neither of those things happen.

Edited by allani
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ZL- said:

I think he'll retain the combative nature from his time learning the 6 role but his best attributes is the ability to link play on the half turn and feed players such as Buendia and Coutinho without them having to drop too deep. We don't really have anyone of this passing profile in the squad and I really think he will combine very nicely with the possession comfortable Kamara, allowing Ramsey to focus on his main attribute of 3rd man runs into the box.

spacer.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Good lad Dougie. Great to see him giving back to where he came from.

I hope that he did autograph signings afterwards and Purslow sneaked up in disguise with a contract.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â