Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

If we want to dictate tempo more and try to control games, he should start at the base of a 3. Probably with McGinn and Sanson in front of him. 

Not taking anything away from Nakamba. He’s excellent at what he does.

Agree, Luiz seems much more effective in a deeper position. 

It's a straight fight with Marv.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Really? Dougie has been very good more advanced with Marv as DM.

He has been good, but I feel McGinn and the cameos from Sanson have been better. I'd even have Ramsey ahead of him in the 8 (?) role. All three are better in progressive possession in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmygreaves said:

He has been good, but I feel McGinn and the cameos from Sanson have been better. I'd even have Ramsey ahead of him in the 8 (?) role. All three are better in progressive possession in my opinion.

I agree. We need to sign a Dougie/Marv hybrid to play at the base and then 2 of SJM, Sanson or JJ as eights. Happy for Marv and Doug to fight for their place in the team though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jimmygreaves said:

Dumb take. We always always look better with Luiz playing. Without him we just resort to hoof ball. I know we weren't playing stellar football last match. But for the last 20 minutes Luiz controlled the game. He's the one midfielder who always needs to be playing for us. There was a reason West Ham smashed us. Because he was sitting in the box nursing an injury. 

6 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Dumb take. We always always look better with Luiz playing. Without him we just resort to hoof ball. I know we weren't playing stellar football last match. But for the last 20 minutes Luiz controlled the game. He's the one midfielder who always needs to be playing for us. There was a reason West Ham smashed us. Because he was sitting in the box nursing an injury. 

I think it might have had more to do with having Konsa sent off

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Dumb take.

Thanks.

We always always look better with Luiz playing. Without him we just resort to hoof ball.

Ok, play him. I didn't suggest he should be dropped. Not sure I agree with your "hoof ball" observation.

I know we weren't playing stellar football last match. But for the last 20 minutes Luiz controlled the game. He's the one midfielder who always needs to be playing for us. There was a reason West Ham smashed us. Because he was sitting in the box nursing an injury. 

Not certain this is entirely accurate.

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We need to get him signed up to a new deal asap. He's developed here over the last couple of years and to sell him when he's coming into his peak years would be criminal. 

No doubt we've been trying. It would be a big shame if we had to move him on, which we will if he doesn't sign up by the summer.

We announced Konsa's new deal in April I think, maybe we'll do a big push before the end of the season with him.

If you want to have a good career as a central midfielder, I'd think playing under Steven Gerrard would be a positive rather than negative.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

No doubt we've been trying. It would be a big shame if we had to move him on, which we will if he doesn't sign up by the summer.

We announced Konsa's new deal in April I think, maybe we'll do a big push before the end of the season with him.

If you want to have a good career as a central midfielder, I'd think playing under Steven Gerrard would be a positive rather than negative.

TBH, if he doesn't sign a new deal with us I can only see him going abroad to like a Roma or Sevilla and we turn a nice profit.  He's not good enough for a top team at this point, but it will allow him to get Champions League footy and continue to work on putting himself in the shop window for a top team at some point.  I think he's a good player, but no where near as good (or as bad) as some rate him on here.  I wouldn't mind seeing him sign a new deal, but on the other hand wouldn't be bothered to see him go either.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PaulC said:

I'm still not not totally convinced by him. Liverpool bossed the midfield. dont think he has enougn impact on games. Technically good. 

It's very hard to have a big impact against a team that plays essentially 6 midfielders (their 3 in the middle, their Cf who drops deep and TAA and Robertson pressing up and coming inside). Unless every member of your team is passing and moving and an option to receive the ball it is very hard to beat Liverpools high press and keep possession of the ball. 

Also we saw the impact that him no longer being the one to double up on salah had. Because as soon as he moved central mcginn got lost and left salah one on one vs mings. 

Â