Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

3 minutes ago, Gillz said:

We have a Brazil International CM who is only 23 years old.

Maybe we should give him the chance to flourish and further develop his game -  rather than write him off and replace him because of a slight dip in form 

Don’t be silly!

2 hours ago, tinker said:

Its not just winning the ball back its pressing the ball when the  opposition has it and making them check their progress and in doing it not giving away free kicks , which is what Douglas does when he plays a dcm role.

We need a Rice/ Philips type player . Obviously not as polished as they are but one that can pressure the ball for 90 minutes and then play a simple pass and make space for themselves when we have the ball. 

Nakamba maybe that player given more time, but he does seem to have moments in games when he loses his composure.

I would rather see £30m spent on a dcm than another winger and believe it would push us closer to Europe as well.

The likes of Bailey and Bertie are great when you a chasing a goal but are a liability when you are defending to see out a narrow win or a draw against quality opposition. They will turn over the ball far to often and invite pressure.

It's an interesting test of Smith and how he sees us progressing.  For me a lack of a quality dcm was our biggest  flaw last season 

The last time we had a Rice/Phillips type was Glenn Whelan who was hounded weekly. He was also a better technical footballer than them 2

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Got a feeling we’ll sign another CDM (or start getting more out of Sanson) and Luiz will get an extended spell on the bench.

After a bit of much-needed rest and some time to work on his game, I see him coming back much stronger, and we may witness a return to his form at the end of 2019/20 when he was arguably our most important & consistent player after Grealish.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

The last time we had a Rice/Phillips type was Glenn Whelan who was hounded weekly. He was also a better technical footballer than them 2

VT loves beating up on a Villa CDM while praising anyone who does same job for another club (Ndidi, Rice, McTominay, Matic… take your pick).

I wonder if it’s because of how people watch games. When it’s your team playing you mainly see the attacking players and the things you’re doing in possession. But with opponents you see more of the defensive play.

Personally I think Luiz has definitely had a big dip in form, but many of his harshest critics on VT were criticising him when he was playing *really well*…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gillz said:

Maybe we should give him the chance to flourish and further develop his game -  rather than write him off and replace him because of a slight dip in form 

Slight dip in form? 

Guy has been poor for over a year now.

Nakamba deserves to make the place his own. Has nothing to do with writing Dougie off. 

Edited by villalad21
  • Confused 1

lmao, slight dip of form. He has a couple of good games near the end 2 seasons ago and suddenly people are assuming that's always been his standard. Prior to that there were times he wasn't even starting when competing with the likes of Hourihane and Drinkwater. And I think even his most ardent fans have agreed he hasn't been good last season. So he's been poor for us far more than he's been good. Its not really a slight dip in form when this is the standard he's been playing at for almost the entire time he's been with us.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Slight dip in form, he was good post first lockdown when the tempo and pace of games suited him. Once back to full speed he’s has struggled again. He can still play a part but as a squad player. He won’t play for a bigger club than us at league level, you can bookmark that. 

17 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

lmao, slight dip of form. He has a couple of good games near the end 2 seasons ago and suddenly people are assuming that's always been his standard. Prior to that there were times he wasn't even starting when competing with the likes of Hourihane and Drinkwater. And I think even his most ardent fans have agreed he hasn't been good last season. So he's been poor for us far more than he's been good. Its not really a slight dip in form when this is the standard he's been playing at for almost the entire time he's been with us.

He was good at the start of last season, really up until January when we had the Covid outbreak in the squad. I'd say for most of 2020 he was excellent, and he joined us in July 2019. So roughly half the time he's been here, he's played well.

He's also very young, and probably burnt out with travelling / training / matches for Brazil at both u-23 and first team level (he has 16 caps for the two since 2019).

It's always the same people putting the boot in on him who have been wrong about everything else at Villa for the last 3 years, so hard to take seriously. But maybe it will turn out that he's a dud, who knows?

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

He was good at the start of last season, really up until January when we had the Covid outbreak in the squad. I'd say for most of 2020 he was excellent, and he joined us in July 2019. So roughly half the time he's been here, he's played well.

He's also very young, and probably burnt out with travelling / training / matches for Brazil at both u-23 and first team level (he has 16 caps for the two since 2019).

It's always the same people putting the boot in on him who have been wrong about everything else at Villa for the last 3 years, so hard to take seriously. But maybe it will turn out that he's a dud, who knows?

Really? Don't you think that's a bit of an unnecessary dig at people just because they disagree with you on him?

11 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Really? Don't you think that's a bit of an unnecessary dig at people just because they disagree with you on him?

Largely true though. I don't think it's a dig anyway, just pointing out that some aren't very good at making objective judgements.

23 minutes ago, sne said:

Got MOTM on Sofascore with 8.1 against Egypt. Did not watch the game so no idea if he deserved it but surely encouraging.

Got MotM on FotMob too. 8.4 on there. I, like you, also didn’t see it though. No assist and no goal though. Usually they pads out the ratings on such apps. 

Anyone catch the game?

• Like 1

On 28/07/2021 at 10:38, Gillz said:

This! He made the Copa America finals with Brazil! He wouldn’t have done that if he was chopped liver!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

In all the Grealish mayhem I am surprised his social media post hasnt been mentioned, caused a footballing international incident by winding up Argentina by posting go home little brothers after they got knocked out of the Olympics :D  not gone down well

I'm surprised too, as Martinez responded. I'll dig it out I saw it the other day

Â