Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

He's played a couple of games for Brazil as a DM and a couple further forward, if they're having to play him as a 'No8'  that probably says more about their options than anything else, because he's never played there for us or Man City, he's a DM, and exactly the type of DM that Smith has used throughout his career.

If we want a 'No8' better than the ones we aready have then we should buy one, not move Luiz there, from a position where he's been one of our best players, and hope that it somehow turns out that he's really good in that position, despite hardly ever having played there in his whole career.

Not sure what the fascination is with wanting to play our players out of position, especially when it's players like Grealish, Watkins and Luiz who are doing perfectly fine where they are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I still don't think he's very good but I thought he was decent. I think I said that he was decent this game already. I'm a bit drunk, sorry.

I used to think he was a CM being shoehorned into a DM role but now I think he's just not very good regardless. He's currently at a low end PL level with potential to improve. Good enough to start for us last season, not so much this season.

Its the weird overhype people have of him that I genuinely find bizarre. I get it, he has some hype behind him due to his background but it feels like people are a lot less critical of him than other players. Take Mcginn for example, who I think has been playing decent enough. He's been getting a lot of flack. Yet Luiz who even Smith seems more willing to bench than Mcginn is getting a lot less flack on here.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 2

The point where I felt like VTers were getting ridiculously defensive of him was that Leicester game last season in the first leg of the league cup when we conceded. I swear to god if I showed that incident to other supporters they would wholeheartedly agree it was mainly Luiz's fault. But the fact that so many VTers would rather blame Konsa for that goal just boggles my mind. Even if the  pass from the freekick was poor; there was just no excuse for Luiz to lose the ball over there.

10 hours ago, villalad21 said:

He plays as an 8 for Brazil

Already told you this is BS. Stop making things up. His last competitive start for Brazil was at DM. He’s a DM. He’ll end his career as a DM.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Already told you this is BS. Stop making things up. His last competitive start for Brazil was at DM. He’s a DM. He’ll end his career as a DM.

Only reason he played there last game is because Casemiro were unavailable. 2 games before that he played as an 8

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Add to the fact Douglas Luiz himself has said he likes to sit in front of the defence so he can start the play there. 

6 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

I dont see what people see in him tbh.

Neat tidy player but is often watching instead of anticipating. He will do for now but he'll have to improve (which he may well do) if we are to make the step up. 

Most tackles yesterday ( tied with Trezequet) most interceptions (also tied with Trezequet) and was joint second for Aerials won , Trezequet was first. As per who scored.

14 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Most tackles yesterday ( tied with Trezequet) most interceptions (also tied with Trezequet) and was joint second for Aerials won , Trezequet was first. As per who scored.

Funny what people see. First half I thought he did everything a good midfielder should do and I'm not surprised by Trez and I wouldn't be surprised if Traore was bottom of the list for interceptions

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Funny what people see. First half I thought he did everything a good midfielder should do and I'm not surprised by Trez and I wouldn't be surprised if Traore was bottom of the list for interceptions

Traore had 1 interception. Only Elmo, Luiz, McGinn, Trez and Traore made one yesterday 

We made 7 all game, Wolves 13

Luiz av stats 20/21

Successful Tackles per game 1.27

Tackling success 52%

Passing 85%

0 goals

2 assists

These aren't stats of a cdm. If he is a quality player (and I'm not saying he isnt) what type of midfielder us he?

I dont think he has the awareness to play cdm yet. 

1 minute ago, Stratvillan said:

Luiz av stats 20/21

Tackling success 52%

Passing 85%

0 goals

2 assists

These aren't stats of a cdm. If he is a quality player (and I'm not saying he isnt) what type of midfielder us he?

Bringing stats into the Douglas Luiz thread. This is not going to end well.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Only reason he played there last game is because Casemiro were unavailable. 2 games before that he played as an 8

So he's not a 6, but when Casemiro isn't available he plays at 6 ahead of all the other "natural" 6s in Brazil? Don't you think maybe that's because it's his preferred position?

2 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

Luiz av stats 20/21

Tackling success 52%

Passing 85%

0 goals

2 assists

This is the vital stat imo. I've always seem him as more of a deep lying playmaker, recieving the ball from the defence and pinging them out to wings. His main job, I suspect, is to find Jack wherever he is. I'm no expert, but this is the impression I get.

If we're likely to be overrun, I always prefer to see Nakamba in the team rather than Doug. But Doug clearly has his uses, especially if we're in control. Horses for courses, etc.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

This is the vital stat imo. I've always seem him as more of a deep lying playmaker, recieving the ball from the defence and pinging them out to wings. His main job, I suspect, is to find Jack wherever he is. I'm no expert, but this is the impression I get.

If we're likely to be overrun, I always prefer to see Nakamba in the team rather than Doug. But Doug clearly has his uses, especially if we're in control. Horses for courses, etc.

And a Deep Lying Playmaker is a DM. He may not be the destroyer everyone is clamoring for on here but he is playing a DM role. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Greenfly said:

And yet not one ball in to the stand last night. Needs dropping.

• Haha 1

Â