Ezri Konsa

MaVilla

He's starting to show the form of Mings for me now, one of the things I hated most about Mings. Solid and unspectacular for 80% of his minutes, noticeably good for 15% playing good passes, great tackles and generally showing quality, then 5% of the time, almost every game, he just completely loses his marbles and does something to put us in massive danger. The only reason it's not costing us as much as Mings used to is because everyone else in the squad has stepped up now so others can bail him out, Mings was usually the one trying to bail others out when he did something calamitous. 

Edit: I should add by solid and unspectacular I mean relatively speaking for a top half Prem CB, I do think both players are very good and don't really want to replace either in our squad. Ideally I'd want them both as backups with Torres having a new CB partnership next season and Carlos, Chambers, House et al out of the club. 

Edited by skarroki
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

ep, 1st goal would be harsh, it's a mess out on our left but after that what spurs do is quality 

He was in front of Maddison on the 6 yard line. Maddison shouldn't have been allowed to get to it

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

And the first.

Absolutely shocked you'd think he was great. He **** threw that game away for us. 

Gave the ball away yes.

But go back.and watch the lack.of options when he gets the ball.

Nothing from.the midfield...not his fault.

1st goal was just a great cross

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bazmonkey said:

Gave the ball away yes.

But go back.and watch the lack.of options when he gets the ball.

Nothing from.the midfield...not his fault.

1st goal was just a great cross

Disagree.

At this point we've had 50-odd minutes of spurs pressing us at the back. There are no options in midfield because our defensive line has the extra man (5 at the back).

Regardless - and when we are reeling from a spuds goal out of nothing - Konsa decides not only to dribble the ball forward through that press, but delivers a shocking short pass when his running forward leaves him out of position and surrounded.

Brain fade.

Has had a really good season but for the first 2 goals today he was partly at fault.

For the first one (ignorning the obvious quality of the cross) he has to get in front of Maddison or at least stop Maddison getting to the ball.

For the second one it was his poor pass to Tielemans that led to that goal.

He will now get a breather vs Ajax so hoping he is back to his best for the West Ham game and the rest of the run in.

40 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

First game this season I remember him having a shocker. He is usually an absolute rock at the back but he was completely off the pace today.

I don't think he necessarily had a shocker, but he was culpable on a few occasions and looked lost at times.  Mitigating factor for me would be that this may have been his first game (ever) at this level as part of a three, with the instruction to advance into midfield.  Hence the error for their second goal.  He's trained and played as right-sided centre back and as a right-back many times, but this was new to him.

People are forgetting that this guy has been our best defender for the best part of a year now. One or two bad games (straight after a bad injury) doesn't define him. 

In the past, we've seen him let a bad game affect his confidence. Hopefully the Emery effect will see him bounce back.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Surprised there isn't more talk about a deserved call up?

It's great he's been called up but if he actually gets gametime under the clown is another question entirely.

6 hours ago, AshVilla said:

It's great he's been called up but if he actually gets gametime under the clown is another question entirely.

it's crazy he should be starting at the euros

his choices at central midfield is laughable too, not functional at all, needs a couple of players who can play next to rice

id have Trent and Mainoo 

Edited by paul514

Only just noticed he got a call up proves what Safegate has done to England that nobody bothers these days.

However fairplay to Ezri he certainly deserves it.

On 14/03/2024 at 23:29, paul514 said:

it's crazy he should be starting at the euros

his choices at central midfield is laughable too, not functional at all, needs a couple of players who can play next to rice

id have Trent and Mainoo 

Honest based on how pep uses him it should be stones if Southgate wants 2 DMCs meaning konsa has an even better chance at CB

Think he almost suffered for want of a better word playing alongside the dominant mings and has grown into a leader where before I think he deferred this responsibility. Not a slight on either player just think he was in the shadows a bit before but now is the main man. 

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Honest based on how pep uses him it should be stones if Southgate wants 2 DMCs meaning konsa has an even better chance at CB

that is possible personally I would go with Rice/Trent

You just know that div is going to use someone else making it unbalanced like Bellingham, use a right back at left back, play Maguire and let Kane drop deep. Div

Â