Ezri Konsa

MaVilla

I don’t get the Konsa love in. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think he is a problem and there are much bigger issues elsewhere that need addressing first but I don’t think he is anywhere near as good as other fans make him out. If we sign a new centre back it’s him that will make way not Mings.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, M_Afro said:

I don’t get the Konsa love in. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think he is a problem and there are much bigger issues elsewhere that need addressing first but I don’t think he is anywhere near as good as other fans make him out. If we sign a new centre back it’s him that will make way not Mings.

Konsa is a good defender but to some he is brilliant because he is not Mings. Its very strange

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

He is clearly a very good player, but......he only seems to be able to really reach those high levels when he has a more senior CB next to him who he can listen to/take instructions from (ie: Mings), Hause obviously isnt that more senior/talking/leader type to seem to get the best out of Konsa.

Im not trying to be negative, but its clear he plays better when he has someone like Mings next to him, who is a talker, likes firing out instructions etc, and konsa knows Mings will be behind him sweeping up most of the time if required (or visa versa with Konsa clearing up behind Mings), doesnt seemt to work so well with a defender on the "same level" in terms of leadership etc.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

He seems to stand in very good positions.

And that's the problem. He stands in good positions

Take Brentford's first goal, for example. They have managed to play themselves down our left for the first time all match. Hause is scrambling to cover Targett so Konsa drops into the box....

... where he stands, marking nobody. As he sees the shot coming, he drops to 1 knee. Surely closing down and "double teaming" is the better option there rather than passively occupying a space.

He's not to blame for the goal - but he could have done more to prevent it.

Nail on head. It happens a lot. He should 100% have been closing down the shot not holding his position. He does it often and it drives me mad. The Leicester goal is another example. I’m sure it’s one of the reasons he doesn’t get dribbled past too often because he does not commit to a challenge.

To be fair to him, Targett, Ramsey and Hause had all messed up before it got to that point!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MaVilla said:

He is clearly a very good player, but......he only seems to be able to really reach those high levels when he has a more senior CB next to him who he can listen to/take instructions from (ie: Mings), Hause obviously isnt that more senior/talking/leader type to seem to get the best out of Konsa.

Im not trying to be negative, but its clear he plays better when he has someone like Mings next to him, who is a talker, likes firing out instructions etc, and konsa knows Mings will be behind him sweeping up most of the time if required (or visa versa with Konsa clearing up behind Mings), doesnt seemt to work so well with a defender on the "same level" in terms of leadership etc.

This is key, and is what all of our defenders do. Not only Konsa, Cash and Targett as well. Without Mings we look shaky

• Like 1

12 hours ago, M_Afro said:

I’m sure it’s one of the reasons he doesn’t get dribbled past too often because he does not commit to a challenge.

Yep. The stat is definitely less impressive when put into further context.

Screenshot_20220103-210516_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Spot on. Konsa getting hate for Mings mistakes,, unbelievable. 

I know what you mean. It wasn't Konsa's fault that Mings was suspended....

...and that showed him up for being half the player people think he is.

That Mings! *shakes fist*

• Like 1

On 03/01/2022 at 00:30, ozvillafan said:

He seems to stand in very good positions.

And that's the problem. He stands in good positions

Take Brentford's first goal, for example. They have managed to play themselves down our left for the first time all match. Hause is scrambling to cover Targett so Konsa drops into the box....

... where he stands, marking nobody. As he sees the shot coming, he drops to 1 knee. Surely closing down and "double teaming" is the better option there rather than passively occupying a space.

He's not to blame for the goal - but he could have done more to prevent it.

Wonder if he was doing exactly what he is told to do on the training ground. No idea, but what you’ve described sounds like what he always does and quite often gets the block/interception in. I agree with others that he and Mings compliment each other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

Caught ball watching again for the goal. Don’t attack the ball and then wave my arms trying to blame someone else. Really has to be more aggressive in his play.

Yeah, strange behaviour. Mings is with Varane and the ball is crossed over both of them, Konsa has full view of McTominay's run but reacts too late and proceeds to have a go at Mings about it.

• Like 1

Â