Ezri Konsa

MaVilla

21 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Again, it wasn't a set piece, the situation was fluid, and the centre halves should have zonal responsibilities. At least that's how I see it.

Yeah but you’re missing the point (I think) that players are drilled to handle different situations by the coaching staff, and unless you know what the instructions were, it’s not always clear who is at fault.

Having said that, my own view is that almost all elite defences will be coached to shuffle left and right as a unit to keep a narrow, flat shape that never leaves anyone unmarked centrally. I think Mings basically followed that principle, and Konsa arguably didn’t. I also think the back post defenders are always better positioned to react, so he should have seen Mings move slightly to his left, and adjusted.

I’m a bit puzzled by people talking about Luiz tbh. Once a midfielder attacks like that, he becomes the responsibility of the CBs. Luiz could maybe have nudged him off balance or blocked his run, but then you’re risking a silly penalty.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Yeah but you’re missing the point (I think) that players are drilled to handle different situations by the coaching staff, and unless you know what the instructions were, it’s not always clear who is at fault.

I'm not missing the point. But again, look at the body language after the matter and see who looks culpable. I may not have been a CB but I'm a poker player and I'm all in on that one. Also (and this is the last I'll say on it because enough has been said), you do not see centre halves leaving a position at the back line during open play to pick somebody up 5 yards (or whatever) in front of them for whatever reason, leaving a 1 on 1 situation. I bet you don't see it all week.

Done.

12 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I'm not missing the point. But again, look at the body language after the matter and see who looks culpable. I may not have been a CB but I'm a poker player and I'm all in on that one. Also (and this is the last I'll say on it because enough has been said), you do not see centre halves leaving a position at the back line during open play to pick somebody up 5 yards (or whatever) in front of them for whatever reason, leaving a 1 on 1 situation. I bet you don't see it all week.

Done.

Ok cool. It is very obvious you’ve never played CB though! We’re not saying Konsa should step out to McTominay, we’re saying he should shuffle across when Mings does. And then obviously when the cross comes in, it’s on him to meet it, even if it’s slightly in front of him.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Ok cool. It is very obvious you’ve never played CB though! We’re not saying Konsa should step out to McTominay, we’re saying he should shuffle across when Mings does. And then obviously when the cross comes in, it’s on him to meet it, even if it’s slightly in front of him.

exactly that, if mings steps up with varane then the line should step up with him, mings follows his man, does everything right, pushes out, konsa does not a fat lot of anything apart from complain afterwards and he can see everything whereas mings cant

the body language afterwards from konsa and mings means next to nothing

i do disagree about your luiz comment though, he cant just pass him on that easy, he's not even looking let alone communicating, if he doesnt want mctominay and wants konsa to pick him up he should be telling him followed by mings and konsa telling him to push out, he should pick him up

either way at no stage during the move is mctominay mings' man to mark, varane is his man to mark and he his marking him

• Like 2

Food for thought before we talk about selling Konsa or Mings...

Last year, through 20 PL matches, we had given up 24 goals.

This year, through 20, it's 30. That's 20% worse. (If we had given up 6 fewer goals this year, we'd be challenging for Europe.)

Did our CBs play above their level last year, or are they playing below their level this year?

33 minutes ago, TomC said:

Food for thought before we talk about selling Konsa or Mings...

Last year, through 20 PL matches, we had given up 24 goals.

This year, through 20, it's 30. That's 20% worse. (If we had given up 6 fewer goals this year, we'd be challenging for Europe.)

Did our CBs play above their level last year, or are they playing below their level this year?

Need to compare like with like.

A lot of the goals we've conceded this season were in games where either we were missing one of Mings/Konsa or we were playing a back 3/5.

Generally when we've had our first choice CB pairing in a back 4, we've looked good defensively. The exceptions are probably the opening day of the season vs Watford (which was just a bad game all round from everyone) and the recent 3-1 defeat to Chelsea.

I think our defence is the least of our worries at the moment. Obviously there's room to upgrade across the backline if the money's there, but it's our erratic form in midfield and attack that is really costing us points.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's what I thought too

Was trying to see if he landed awkwardly on the utd players foot, the initial contact didn't look anything special 

It was the challenge before half time. The rugby tackle by the halfway line. He was in discomfort from that point.

12 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

the injury looked a strange one, but as its Villa he will prob be out a few weeks at least.

we need a new CB asap, we are down to 2 fit CBs if he is injured.

He got injured when taken out by the halfway line. Not the second stoppage just before half time.

• Like 1

Just now, avfc1982am said:

It was the challenge before half time. The rugby tackle by the halfway line. He was in discomfort from that point.

Yeah that one, with the utd youngster, looked like a hip to hip bump which was a foul but still fairly innocuous so then I wasn't sure if it was the landing, couldn't work out if he landed on the utd players foot 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah that one, with the utd youngster, looked like a hip to hip bump which was a foul but still fairly innocuous so then I wasn't sure if it was the landing, couldn't work out if he landed on the utd players foot 

Might have been his hip. I didn't have a perfect view from the holte but he was holding his side. It just liked like his lower rib was causing the problem. 

Â