Matt Targett

villan-scott

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Every player says that though, also when they say every team has the best fanbase. Robbie Keane made a career in signing for the clubs of his boyhood dreams

It says more about the people getting offended in my view

Exactly this. When players sign for a new club they come out with the same tired cliches probably written for them by a media team. Who cares what is said. 

• Like 1

15 million is a good fee.  We made a profit on a player who is a midtable starter at best and replaced him with a French international who is one of the best LBs in the world who was not playing in a Champions League club, for only 10 million pounds more than we got back on Targett.  Brilliant business all around.

Also, it's hilarious to see Newcastle fans on Reddit and Twitter still trying to say they're paying less than the 15 million Villa's official website said the deal was done for...  Trying to make it out like we got fleeced on the deal.  lol

The "fight for his place" discussion is going over old ground now, but as disappointed as I was in him leaving, I see his point; when the first purchase a new manager makes is an expensive, older player in your position, the writing is on the wall that you're not a part of this team anymore.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

The unjustified level of vitriol aimed at this lad and the over analysis of literally everything he says or does is just truly truly bizarre. Weird bitter clearings some of you lot. 

It's because they know he's a decent player. Worried he's going to make us look like mugs by finishing above us for the second in a row.

Dont have a huge issue with him as a footballer - he's limited when compared to Digne but he did a perfectly fine job for us, but was noticeable poor after Grealish left.

My issue, as others have said, is him spitting his dummy out when we signed Digne - he hadn't even played a game and Targett decided he didn't fancy having to compete for his place.

A bit unfair to assume he's bottled games when he's been taken to the cleaners by certain right wingers, but there is a pattern there...

If he thinks he's going to be Newcastle's only left back for the next 4 years then he may as well pre-arrange a transfer somewhere else now.

2 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Dont have a huge issue with him as a footballer - he's limited when compared to Digne but he did a perfectly fine job for us, but was noticeable poor after Grealish left.

My issue, as others have said, is him spitting his dummy out when we signed Digne - he hadn't even played a game and Targett decided he didn't fancy having to compete for his place.

A bit unfair to assume he's bottled games when he's been taken to the cleaners by certain right wingers, but there is a pattern there...

If he thinks he's going to be Newcastle's only left back for the next 4 years then he may as well pre-arrange a transfer somewhere else now.

Digne signed 13th January and immediately made his debut on 15th with little training with the first team and had been frozen out at Everton for weeks so not match fit

Its clear Targett wasn't wanted by the manager when players are normally slowly bedded in for similar situations

4 hours ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

Quite sad he’s gone - was a huge part of the new premier league era for us, seemed like a decent guy…just sad he didn’t have the fight in him to challenge for his place. The chance for big money and European football at Newcastle would have helped, too…

i'm quite happy to forget about that new PL era to be honest. we were absolutely shocking and we'd have 100% gone down if COVID had never existed. suso and deano (although i still love him) signed some absolute pony with the likes of targett, guilbert, wesley, trez and luiz but it's great to see that we're moving on and upgrading these players

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i'm quite happy to forget about that new PL era to be honest. we were absolutely shocking and we'd have 100% gone down if COVID had never existed. suso and deano (although i still love him) signed some absolute pony with the likes of targett, guilbert, wesley, trez and luiz but it's great to see that we're moving on and upgrading these players

We had to start somewhere. We didnt have a squad and if kept Jedi, Hutton, Adomah, Whelan, Taylor we would have probably went down with record low points and Grealish leaving for about 16 million at the end of that season 

Growing pains

36 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We had to start somewhere. We didnt have a squad and if kept Jedi, Hutton, Adomah, Whelan, Taylor we would have probably went down with record low points and Grealish leaving for about 16 million at the end of that season 

Growing pains

oh i'm not disputing that at all. we absolutely needed a new squad. i just meant that i don't have fond memories from that season and the poorer players of that season such as those i mentioned i'm quite happy to move on and forget about

Â