Matt Targett

villan-scott

Just now, MrBlack said:

So in what way is it strange that we've done this?

Quite enjoying the debate as I genuinely didn't think you were being serious about it being strange.

Its strange because now we have to buy another LB who is willing to play second fiddle to digne - not many players want to do that especially good ones. 

Strange because now we have to spend time and resources in to doing that instead of other more pressing positions. 

Strange because Targett is on a contract already and who cares if he doesn't want to be backup he could do so adequately. (agreed role in our formation is not great for him)

Strange because Newcastle are a direct rival and we are strengthening their team.

1 minute ago, LondonVillian said:

Its strange because now we have to buy another LB who is willing to play second fiddle to digne - not many players want to do that especially good ones

Strange because Targett is on a contract already and who cares if he doesn't want to be backup he could do so adequately. (agreed role in our formation is not great for him)

You said it doesn't matter if Targett wasn't happy to do that, so why not find someone else who suits our formation, but also isn't happy to be backup, but thinks they can compete and earn a place from Digne. You know, someone with drive and ability that wouldn't be a waste of a player in our shape.  We currently also have Young who's a better option than Targett in our formation anyway. 

3 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Strange because now we have to spend time and resources in to doing that instead of other more pressing positions. 

As stated above, we have Young who can cover there. We've got Guilbert who can also cover there assuming we don't sell him.

If we do sell then, or decide we want a better option, we may well already have targeted our future replacement for Digne so the effort spent signing them isnt going to really detract from our ability to sign someone else.  We have more than one scout and more than one person able to negotiate contracts. Targett freed up around 12m and over 60k a week in wages for us to spend thanks to the way FFP works. That means we could buy a 30m left back, on a 4 year contract on 100k a week, and still be better off financially this year than having kept him.

It would be pretty poor of the club not to have an idea about long term targets to replace any of our team, given the potential for injury or an offer coming in for someone we can't refuse.

11 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Strange because Newcastle are a direct rival and we are strengthening their team.

They're signing a player not good enough for us, worse than what we have, and we're making a profit on it. In doing this we've hindered there ability to go out and sign better thanks to FFP.  Yes they're stengthened by signing him, but the opportunity cost of them signing him will hold them back that little bit more this window.  They probably couldn't have got better for 15m... but they could have saved that and put it towards someone better.

We've freed up  a lot of cash that we can use to get someone else (either a better replacement or someone else we need even more)

It is in no way strange. If you think the fee was too low, then you could argue its strange that we didn't ask for more,  but demanding a few extra million from them when we agreed the fee in January would probably have seen them look elsewhere for better come this summer. 

We'd then be stuck with a player that has zero drive, zero desire to be with us,  and doesn't work in our formation.  Not to mention the loss of his salary every week. That would be strange and be a prefect example of how we used to poorly do business at this club. 

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

As such, we need someone who will be happy to play backup and that can play in our formation, either as an experienced hand or a prospect.

This is not in the slightest bit strange.

And unless you're ignorant you know all that,  hence why I said your comment was bait.

Then this is an issue for building a squad. I dont want players happy to be back up collecting a huge contract sitting on there arse

Ironically something Targett would be slaughtered for if he rejected transfers away 

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Then this is an issue for building a squad. I dont want players happy to be back up collecting a huge contract sitting on there arse

Ironically something Targett would be slaughtered for if he rejected transfers away 

Agree, I phrased that bit poorly. I meant someone that will join us knowing that they might not be first choice straight away, but would be a prospect that may replace Digne either in a couple of seasons or sooner if they prove themselves. I feel like we've already got an older experienced head type of alternative in Young if we were to even consider that route. 

Rumours seem to be linking us with young prospects that can play a couple of positions. Ideal.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Comments (yesterday) from this guy are awful, hope his former Villa teammates remember it...

What comments? 

The ones every player makes when they join a club. I doubt Messi, Busquets, Alba are fuming from Coutinho comments at joining Villa

33 minutes ago, Zatman said:

What comments? 

The ones every player makes when they join a club. I doubt Messi, Busquets, Alba are fuming from Coutinho comments at joining Villa

Yes the comments I saw were more him bigging-up his new team mates rather slagging off his old team mates, which is exactly what you'd expect when a player joins a new club. 

19 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's actually 15 mill with the included 3 mill loan fee they paid mate.

I know, I was excluding the loan fee from the purchase price. 👍

47 minutes ago, Zatman said:

What comments? 

"This is the best dressing room I've ever been in" probably.

17 minutes ago, AV82 said:

How so? Include wages and we've made sweet F all.

The salary paid for his time with us.  We'd have had Neil Taylor at left back otherwise and probably have gotten relegated again.  We weren't in a position to attract better and his value has probably never been much higher than it is now.

We paid 11.5m and there were some add ons that would possibly bump it to 14m if they were all met. I doubt they were, as he didn't get an England call up and we didn't win anything. 

We sold him for, effectively, 15m in January. 

That is a whole heap of positive equity in our balance sheet, and gives us huge potential to sign someone else.

Not sure of his salary, but probably at least 60k a week off the books, and around a +10m boost to our transfer balance sheet this season for FFP purposes.

For example, as I said earlier, we could buy someone for 30m, give them a 4 year contract and as far as FFP is concerned we've still made money. 

Edited by MrBlack

8 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

"This is the best dressing room I've ever been in" probably.

Every player says that though, also when they say every team has the best fanbase. Robbie Keane made a career in signing for the clubs of his boyhood dreams

It says more about the people getting offended in my view

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Every player says that though, also when they say every team has the best fanbase. Robbie Keane made a career in signing for the clubs of his boyhood dreams

I'm all for "The lads are great, they made me feel really welcomed" "The fans are fantastic, some of the best fans in the world" etc... but doubling down on everything being the best ever is a kick in the teeth to those teammates and fans that came before who supported you and welcomed you. Just about wording really.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I'm all for "The lads are great, they made me feel really welcomed" "The fans are fantastic, some of the best fans in the world" etc... but doubling down on everything being the best ever is a kick in the teeth to those teammates and fans that came before who supported you and welcomed you. Just about wording really.

Exactly - we were far more gracious in the exit statement on the OS. Just not the sharpest tool is he. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

But again thats on Villa fans for caring about a statement aimed at Newcastle fans on the Newcastle website/Twitter

Mings did something more unprofessional before signing for Villa and was no arguments on here. Davis will probably say similar if signs at Forest 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

What does it say, please enlighten us oh great sage?

Just to educate you i'm not offended, just perused...there is a classier way to act without the snide comments. Move on and all that!

1 hour ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Pretty sure he said similar stuff at Villa, when we stayed up. Sounds like as soon as he feels wanted, he goes a little over the top with the praise.

3 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Pretty sure he said similar stuff at Villa, when we stayed up. Sounds like as soon as he feels wanted, he goes a little over the top with the praise.

Bet his missus loves him.

Â