Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

40 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Some of the criticism that was put towards him after two games was embarrassing. He showed enough in the first couple of games to give us a picture of who he is and what he's about. Anyone who was wanting Kodjia to play instead should hang your head in shame. 

He will go on to have many games where things don't quite click and where he might not be on top of his game, especially as he's still finding his feet. In that situation, remember the game he had today.

I'm so pleased for him today.

Anyone who said this genuinely has no clue about football.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Some of the criticism that was put towards him after two games was embarrassing. He showed enough in the first couple of games to give us a picture of who he is and what he's about. Anyone who was wanting Kodjia to play instead should hang your head in shame. 

He will go on to have many games where things don't quite click and where he might not be on top of his game, especially as he's still finding his feet. In that situation, remember the game he had today.

I'm so pleased for him today.

Did that happen?

I think we played more to Wesley's strengths tonight. DS said he'd told Heaton to go long, and it was noticeable how often we were turning long balls into good quality possession in their half because of Wesley's ability to meet the ball first and bring it down under pressure.

We also played a right-footer on the left, and a left-footer on the right, and that helped to turn the shape into a narrow front 3 with the width coming from the full backs. This meant more through balls and interplay around the D, and fewer crosses. I think a lot of us thought this would help Wesley's game, so nice to see it work.

One habit he does need to deal with is losing track of the play because he's having a rant. I saw it a couple of times. Also while his work rate is mostly superb, he does occasionally just walk about out of position. Not a big flaw, but the really top strikers are switched on all the time, always ready to pounce on a mistake.

Definitely elements of Diego Costa and Drogba in his game. A real pain in the arse to play against. Man of the match for me.

• Like 1

Really tough battle for him tonight, delighted. Selfless player.

I think because he's so awkward looking, when things don't come off, or he loses a coming together, it really does look ugly. He knows what he's doing though, just kicked the stuffing out of two monsters up against him. Keep working hard big man

There's been a feather of aggro every game now and it's an enjoyable interaction to see Tyrone come in and act as the diffuser. Don't want that to catch him out one week, it'll get noticed and targeted, remember Mason getting Benteke sent off for nothing.

6 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Did that happen?

I think we played more to Wesley's strengths tonight. DS said he'd told Heaton to go long, and it was noticeable how often we were turning long balls into good quality possession in their half because of Wesley's ability to meet the ball first and bring it down under pressure.

We also played a right-footer on the left, and a left-footer on the right, and that helped to turn the shape into a narrow front 3 with the width coming from the full backs. This meant more through balls and interplay around the D, and fewer crosses. I think a lot of us thought this would help Wesley's game, so nice to see it work.

One habit he does need to deal with is losing track of the play because he's having a rant. I saw it a couple of times. Also while his work rate is mostly superb, he does occasionally just walk about out of position. Not a big flaw, but the really top strikers are switched on all the time, always ready to pounce on a mistake.

Definitely elements of Diego Costa and Drogba in his game. A real pain in the arse to play against. Man of the match for me.

Yeah critical in both goals, scored the first and his excellent hold up play and offload led to a goal 2 passes later.

Excellent.

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Really tough battle for him tonight, delighted. Selfless player.

I think because he's so awkward looking, when things don't come off, or he loses a coming together, it really does look ugly. He knows what he's doing though, just kicked the stuffing out of two monsters up against him. Keep working hard big man

There's been a feather of aggro every game now and it's an enjoyable interaction to see Tyrone come in and act as the diffuser. Don't want that to catch him out one week, it'll get noticed and targeted, remember Mason getting Benteke sent off for nothing.

That was superb by Mings. He spotted the risk immediately.

Tbh I would put good money on Wesley getting sent off at least once this season. But by the same token, he'll probably get a centre back sent off, or score a goal because he's got inside a defender's head.

Will definitely be one of those strikers who gets described as "unplayable" on his day, while also having some absolute shockers. But no way we're getting relegated if he puts in performances like this every couple of games.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

What a performance. He was unplayable tonight. Had Yeri Mina ready to fight he was so frustrated.

I can admit in my younger more hot headed days I was a bit of a trash talker. Seeing Wes getting underneath Mina's skin warmed my heart. Love the all the different characters this team has. Ming's calm under fire, Mcginn the bulldog and Wes not scared of a soul. 

Edit: Mings has a home design business no idea how good he is at clamming

Edited by Rightdm00
  • Like 2

If you look a few seconds before Jack takes the quick free kick that lead to the goal, Wes had peeled off his man and showed real disappointment that he wasn't released....then he realises 'game on' makes a great run from left to right which the Everton defenders didn't pick up!  I like that...shows intelligence. 

Edited by New_Hope
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

I can admit in my younger more hot headed days I was a bit of a trash talker. Seeing Wes getting underneath Mina's skin warmed my heart. Love the all the different characters this team has. Ming's clam under fire, Mcginn the bulldog and Wes not scared of a soul. 

What’s happened to Mings’ clam?

carry on teacher GIF

14 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

That was superb by Mings. He spotted the risk immediately.

Tbh I would put good money on Wesley getting sent off at least once this season. But by the same token, he'll probably get a centre back sent off, or score a goal because he's got inside a defender's head.

Will definitely be one of those strikers who gets described as "unplayable" on his day, while also having some absolute shockers. But no way we're getting relegated if he puts in performances like this every couple of games.

When that was all kicking off I literally said "I bet Mings will be right up there calming things down". Lost count the amount of times he's done that since he joined.

• Like 2

Yes Wesley that’s what we wanted to see. Superb today. Held the ball up. Made great runs. Got into Mina’s head who was getting so wound up. Took his goal so well. Showed fight (possibly a little too much) when Trez has the ball kicked at him. 

keep it up big man 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Other Mat said:

When he scored, I shouted so loud, my heavily pregnant girlfriend wet herself a bit! Got a right bollocking. If she goes into labour tonight I'm calling the lad Wesley. 

We're a good bunch. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

For those mentioning the little tantrums when he does not get the pass Tekkers used to do that all the time too.  The difference now is we have better players that are learning about each other so when they all gel this boy makes his runs and players not just Jota seeing them will be second nature.

We are still in infants we have junior, senior school, college to go through before we hopefully get our honours degree as a team.  

Players not just Wesley will have ups and downs but we as fans have to keep a level head and enjoy the ride.

It is bloody exciting!!

• Like 1

Â