Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

3 hours ago, useless said:

The team improved in the second half when Philogene-Bidace and in particular Chukwuemeka came more into the game, I don't think it had much at all to do to do with Wesley coming off, regardless of how good or bad he was. I don't think you can read too much into today's game, it was just about him closer to match fitness.

I thought the lad who replaced him did really well second-half

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Barry and Watkins is the future for this football club.

Would be best for both parts if we let him go in the summer. Can't see Wesley having a future here.

So your opinion is to let go in the summer when his price value will be next to nothing because he hasn’t played for the first team properly, by then, for almost 18 months.

Even by basic business sense excluding feelings positive/negative towards Wes’ ability that a nuts thing to do.  Even if he comes back and is poor during his play, he’ll be worth more than current value because he’ll have proved he can still play.

We also have nothing to lose, if he comes back and is better than you think he maybe part of the future of the club.  We’ve got nothing to lose.

Plus typical you, we had two pieces of news in the last 24 hours with Ezri signing a new contract and Wes starting but coming off injured, yet no comment on good news but giving your negative opinion is there.  You’re constantly trolling!

Edited by nick76
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Barry and Watkins is the future for this football club.

Would be best for both parts if we let him go in the summer. Can't see Wesley having a future here.

Would be best to see what Wesley can do before deciding on that. It's been over a year out injured and I doubt we'd get buyers lined up fighting to buy him since he hasn't played for so long.

He does have steep competition though in Ollie as you said. Barry is too early to say.

• Like 1

I really admire the guy, and what he has done with his life from a difficult start has been laudable.

But I certainly was underwhelmed by his performances for us, even with the caveat of playing in a different league. He showed he has some good touches, but seemed uncomfortable up front, which was strange.

Whatever happens with him, backup or loan, he is still an unknown quantity, I would not like to go into next season without signing another striker.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

I really admire the guy, and what he has done with his life from a difficult start has been laudable.

But I certainly was underwhelmed by his performances for us, even with the caveat of playing in a different league. He showed he has some good touches, but seemed uncomfortable up front, which was strange.

Whatever happens with him, backup or loan, he is still an unknown quantity, I would not like to go into next season without signing another striker.

Think that in general it's a little harsh to judge a foreign player on one season. Many foreign players have had a poor/decent first season and then stepped up before. Wesley had like half a season and managed 6 goals for us. I think we need to still assess him and see where it goes. Not fully convinced by either side of the argument just yet.

• Like 3

I was reading a Wesley article on BirminghamLive, it saying about how he was in the u23 games v West Brom and Wolves.

He felt his knee where Ben Mee clattered him and came off after 38 mins v Wolves but he played 45 mins first half v Albion.

It’s just whether the fact if we see him towards the end of the season.

If you’re interested in the article; https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wesley-moraes-aston-villa-injury-20324493

• Like 1

It wouldnt surprise me either if we never see him play a first team match for us again. The similarities with him and Kozak are hauntingly familiar. Big guy, scores a few goals but looks ineffective in lots of games. Divides the fans. Gets a bad injury that takes longer and longer to recover from. I really hope he comes good and stars for us but I think it's more likely he goes out on loan next season and then sold in the summer. I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by R.Bear
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, TheFirstMan said:

this seems to be one of the longest injury lay-offs we've had since I started following in '94. 

Laursen was out for over a year at one point. Kozak aswell was nearly two years between games although think he was more out of favour when he was actually fit and then Remi Garde randomly put him back in squad.

Gary Charles in 90s got a bad leg break and was out for a year aswell.

2 hours ago, Delphouneso said:

"Wesley came off in a U23's game but it was nothing, he’s trained every day since. He could potentially play before the end of the season."

From Deano's presser.

Not in today's U23 squad, Wonder if travelling to Liverpool then? 

I mean he might well be travelling to Liverpool with the team but there's no way it's with a view to him being in the matchday squad.

I think his issue now will be rebuilding his confidence. Deano saying Wes going down twice in the U23s game was 'nothing' suggests to me Wes basically has zero confidence in his knee, which is understandable and will take time to rebuild I guess.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Delphouneso said:

I mean he might well be travelling to Liverpool with the team but there's no way it's with a view to him being in the matchday squad.

I think his issue now will be rebuilding his confidence. Deano saying Wes going down twice in the U23s game was 'nothing' suggests to me Wes basically has zero confidence in his knee, which is understandable and will take time to rebuild I guess.

I think I'd be happier if it was that than a genuine set back though. They can work on his confidence and hopefully he'll get the belief back the more he uses it.  As you said, it would be understandable. Hopefully he doesn't contract Sturridge syndrome.

I haven't had anything like this level of injury,  but a few hamstring and ligament injuries over the years that have kept me out for a couple of months at time.  The first few times you play you imagine all sorts of scenarios where you'll aggravate it and don't do what you would normally do in the same situation. You feel the tightness but never sure if it's waiting to go or just getting warmed up.  It can cause injuries if you half commit to things, but in my case after a few games you begin to forget it was ever injured and before long you're back to normal.

How this would work if you were out for a year is, i imagine, very different.  the confidence rebuilding period would surely be similarly extended. Could well be months of games before he forgets the injury when he's playing...if ever. If he doesn't, he may never have the freedom to play to his ability. 

22 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Laursen was out for over a year at one point. Kozak aswell was nearly two years between games although think he was more out of favour when he was actually fit and then Remi Garde randomly put him back in squad.

Gary Charles in 90s got a bad leg break and was out for a year aswell.

Hope jack doesnt beat the record

Â