Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Riddle me this, if I throw you a bad ball and you can't catch it, are you bad at playing catch?

Wes missed a very good chance provided by El Ghazi who created a moment of quality, our first glaringly obvious threat.

ONE chance at goal.

Can I remind SOME of you, that you were crapping on about how Tammy Abraham is not PL quality because of the easy finishes he missed for us.

I'm of the opinion that had the team been better prepared today, we would've seen a greater focus from all of our players.

We were almost in a lullaby, and you know what it's like to do things when you're half asleep, me personally all I can do is find the toilet or the fridge.

Wes was used to poor service all game up to that point, everything he was to receive was either a poor delivery or a contest. The moment probably caught him off guard.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1

I agree he didn't have much of a sniff all game but he doesn't help himself with his movement at times. He seems very static and in a side that's struggling to string a pass together he needs to smartly make himself an option by dropping deeper at the right time or moving into either channel for the long ball. On the odd occasion he does receive the ball and lay it off he saunters back into the box with no urgency. 

Not to mention he rarely wins a ball in the air which for a big man isn't encouraging. I don't think he's as bad as a few have made out but I do think he can do more.

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

Riddle me this, if I throw you a bad ball and you can't catch it, are you bad at playing catch?

Wes missed a very good chance provided by El Ghazi who created a moment of quality, our first glaringly obvious threat.

ONE chance at goal.

Can I remind SOME of you, that you were crapping on about how Tammy Abraham is not PL quality because of the easy finishes he missed for us.

I'm of the opinion that had the team been better prepared today, we would've seen a greater focus from all of our players.

We were almost in a lullaby, and you know what it's like to do things when you're half asleep, me personally all I can do is find the toilet or the fridge.

Wes was used to poor service all game up to that point, everything he was to receive was either a poor delivery or a contest. The moment probably caught him off guard.

Well lets put it this way, you're not good at playing catch. 

I hope he comes good, but like I've said all season he doesn't look like it. No stand out attributes. Very little to work from. Not very good at what PL strikers normally need to excell at as a lone striker. He looks a long bloody way from a £22 million striker. 

I can sort of understand that Deano wanted a striker in a false 9'ish position in how he wants us playing football. Wes sort of fits that, to a degree. I completely trust him Deano on his choices, but I am amazed this was his main target. He just doesn't look any good at anything. I can't for my life see it working out, but it will be interesting to watch the next 6 months. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The problem he has is that he’s come from the Belgium league and expected to be to be our first choice centre forward with no real competition. Too much pressure on the lad to perform. Other positions we have options. We are desperate for another striker and will have to pay well over the odds in January to get one. 

He made a very good run for that chance from the Trezeguet cross that almost fell to El Ghazi. He did everything right but connect to it, which to be fair I think was slightly diverted by Coady. That first initial burst of pace seems to be laboured with him. He hits a good top speed but in those first few yards he's usually beaten to it by the defender.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A'Villan said:

ONE chance at goal.

When you are low down the premier league one chance us maybe all you’re going to get. And we need someone who can take those chances.

Anyways, your riddle doesn’t work because the example you cite is where the catcher got a good ball but still didn’t catch it.

Edited by briny_ear

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

They cost a lot more than £22m.

Looking at players with 4 or more goals so far I would say only Pukki, Ayew and Ashley Barnes would go for less than 22 million in the open market

• Like 2

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

When you are low down the premier league one chance us maybe all you’re going to get. And we need someone who can take those chances.

Anyways, your riddle doesn’t work because the example you cite is where the catcher got a good ball but still didn’t catch it.

My mistake, I wrote that poorly. I meant to insinuate that for the most part delivery wasn't receivable to Wes, which meant he didn't threaten goal.

The example I used with El Ghazi was used in comparison to Tammy Abraham, who people said would not cut it at PL level because he missed too many easy chances.

Wes missed one, but he only got one. Abraham would miss sitters in abundance, just like every good striker in a good team does.

When have you ever seen a team have more attempts on target than there were attempts? You haven't. A lot of the time conversion rates are low.

Football is uniquely difficult to score in for a team ball sport, especially considering the time allocated for every match.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

They cost a lot more than £22m.

They cost that around a decade ago.

Shevchenko went for double that fee well over a decade ago, 9 goals in two seasons.

Darren Bent went for 24m about a decade ago and he was good to put them away for, what? Two seasons.

Fernando Torres just under a decade ago went for, was it 50m? Surely he would come good? Nah, except maybe in the CL when it mattered..

Christian Benteke, he'd put them away right? Well he'll cost you 30m, and even he'll fade into obscurity after 2-3 years.

Andy Carroll better part of a decade ago cost 35m.

So many expensive transfers don't work out.

Personally I'm not saying Wes is a good player just yet, I think he's doing okay is all, and I'll give the whole system a bit more time before I decide it's not gonna get there.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 2

I don’t really know why Wesley is being compared to Tammy Abraham, for me they are completely different players. I’d say that Abraham is a very natural finisher, put him in virtually any team and he will score goals, not only that but he’ll run the channels and work hard for the team, he showed that for us in in his time here. Back to Wesley, I think it would be foolish to write him off so early in to his Villa career. He has shown that he can perform against some of the of the best teams in the league in Arsenal and he also bagged one against Everton. I think over time, he will be excellent for us, he has been called up by the Brazil national team. I’m convinced that over time, he will adapt and our fans will get off his back. Smith has a track record of signing excellent players, I honestly don’t think he has signed a bad one at any club he has been at, long may it continue. Arsene Wenger always used to say that it would take 6 months for any foreign import to adapt to the Premier League. Wesley has already shown what he’s capable of in short bursts. In the long term, I’m convinced that he’ll be excellent for us, it might just take some time

• Like 1

Everyone is talking about Wesley, but let's make this clear it's the midfielders and left fullbacks that lost us this game they were awful. Could hardly string a pass together until Lansbury came on for Nakamba. Traore demolished our left backs. Nakamba's passing in particular was atrocious. Our Wingers failed to properly track their wing backs. Wesley missing one and otherwise putting himself about was hardly a contribution to our defeat.

24 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Everyone is talking about Wesley, but let's make this clear it's the midfielders and left fullbacks that lost us this game they were awful. Could hardly string a pass together until Lansbury came on for Nakamba. Traore demolished our left backs. Nakamba's passing in particular was atrocious. Our Wingers failed to properly track their wing backs. Wesley missing one and otherwise putting himself about was hardly a contribution to our defeat.

I didn't watch everything so you are probably right, but people aren't really giving Wesley stick for being poor this one match are they? He's been poor for close to 10/12 matches this season.

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I didn't watch everything so you are probably right, but people aren't really giving Wesley stick for being poor this one match are they? He's been poor for close to 10/12 matches this season.

He has only played 12 matches, and was good in 2, decent in two, and had little to work with in the way of supply for at least 4 matches. 

Â