Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Of course £22m isn't much these days. Wolves spent £30m on Jimenez, the Spammers £40m on Haller, Leicester spent £28m on Iheanacho who can't even get a game, even Newcastle spent £40m on Joe Linton. Out of those only Jimenez has really been a success and even he isn't quite a 1 in 2, more like a 1 in 2.5/1 in 3. Wesley hasn't been a bad signing at all for the money spent, 1 in 3 so far, but what this shows is we probably need to break our transfer record again in this area to get someone more reliable as Wes goes missing too much at this moment in time. 

For me personally, I don't think Kodjia is good enough at this level and is also fairly injury prone, while I think Davis is adept at holding the ball up but couldn't hit a cow's back side with a banjo. I reckon we should sell Kodjia, send Davis out on loan to a Championship side to see if he can find that goalscorer's touch, and spend big on another striker to compete with Wesley. If we need to recall Davis we can insert that into his loan clause. Morelos has been heavily linked and looks good but as it's the SPL it's difficult to tell if he would step up - however, I would welcome us gambling as he's young and could feasibly double or treble his value at us if he takes to the Prem.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Of course £22m isn't much these days. Wolves spent £30m on Jimenez, the Spammers £40m on Haller, Leicester spent £28m on Iheanacho who can't even get a game, even Newcastle spent £40m on Joe Linton. Out of those only Jimenez has really been a success and even he isn't quite a 1 in 2, more like a 1 in 2.5/1 in 3. Wesley hasn't been a bad signing at all for the money spent, 1 in 3 so far, but what this shows is we probably need to break our transfer record again in this area to get someone more reliable as Wes goes missing too much at this moment in time. 

For me personally, I don't think Kodjia is good enough at this level and is also fairly injury prone, while I think Davis is adept at holding the ball up but couldn't hit a cow's back side with a banjo. I reckon we should sell Kodjia, send Davis out on loan to a Championship side to see if he can find that goalscorer's touch, and spend big on another striker to compete with Wesley. If we need to recall Davis we can insert that into his loan clause. Morelos has been heavily linked and looks good but as it's the SPL it's difficult to tell if he would step up - however, I would welcome us gambling as he's young and could feasibly double or treble his value at us if he takes to the Prem.

it kinda still is.

For a newly promoted club that's been making massive losses for years and years it is a lot. We've spent all of our TV-money already.

For established PL clubs like the others you mention it's still club record signings pretty much all those players. But they've gotten PL-money for a couple of seasons or more, unlike us.

Outside the PL very few clubs can afford these kind of numbers. Maybe 20 clubs in the world.

£22m is still very much money.

4 hours ago, AVTuco said:

We don't have the time to develop him. He needs to be scoring now.

In case you hadn't noticed. Teams in our position don't have 20 goal a season striker except for Benteke. Last season callum Wilson scored the the most goals outside the top 6 with 14. Wesley is currently on track to hit 13 so I would say he is doing fine in that department. 

On 31/10/2019 at 00:34, zab6359 said:

You obviously know they have the same amount, however I do think in this Villa team Maupay would have scored more. Not knocking Wes just think Maupay is a better player imo.

Big fan of Maupay, but this is based on nothing but your subjective view.

Maupay has hardly set the league (or Brighton) on fire.

24 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

In case you hadn't noticed. Teams in our position don't have 20 goal a season striker except for Benteke. Last season callum Wilson scored the the most goals outside the top 6 with 14. Wesley is currently on track to hit 13 so I would say he is doing fine in that department. 

What it's clear you don't seem to grasp is that it's not about goals with Wesley. He's scoring okey. Not good, but okey IF he was playing well. But he isn't. He's like a very shit version of Darren Bent. 

1 in 4 would be fine if he was giving us good performances, hold up play, bullying defences and assists, but he isn't. He's just a very very average poacher. 

Which it's why it's obvious we need a replacement so we can rotate Wesley out and let him develop. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

What it's clear you don't seem to grasp is that it's not about goals with Wesley. He's scoring okey. Not good, but okey IF he was playing well. But he isn't. He's like a very shit version of Darren Bent. 

1 in 4 would be fine if he was giving us good performances, hold up play, bullying defences and assists, but he isn't. He's just a very very average poacher. 

Which it's why it's obvious we need a replacement so we can rotate Wesley out and let him develop. 

A guy was saying he needed to score more which I disagreed with. Hopefully against the barcodes we keep the ball better and start using wesley as a link up man. 

32 minutes ago, thunderball said:

He actually has a worse goal per minute ratio than Wesley and has no assists. At least Wesley has one of those. I'm surprised at how many people seem to still want Maupay in spite of it.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

His ratio is 1 in 3 atm!

This thread is really just going round in circles now.

10 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

He actually has a worse goal per minute ratio than Wesley and has no assists. At least Wesley has one of those. I'm surprised at how many people seem to still want Maupay in spite of it.

I would have liked to have signed both. They each offer something different. We could have afforded this, and they both fit the transfer policy of looking for long-term investments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been largely terrible. Newcastle underperformance could push me over the edge if we don't win.

How do you think he'll get on if we go down? Can see him not being bullied all over the place by Championship defenders.

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It is. And he's been abysmal for most matches. 

:lol: Just shows how many chances we are creating if he's scored as many and as frequently as that whilst being simultaneously disappointing. Imagine how many he'd have if he could keep his feet or head a ball.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

This thread is really just going round in circles now.

I would have liked to have signed both. They each offer something different. We could have afforded this, and they both fit the transfer policy of looking for long-term investments.

The man went for 20 million to Brighton, we would've had to outbid them for his services still so he would've gone to us for an even higher price than that, That's a lot of extra money so am not sure we really could've afforded it, unless we sacrificed another of our signings. Maybe Luiz.

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

The man went for 20 million to Brighton, we would've had to outbid them for his services still so he would've gone to us for an even higher price than that, That's a lot of extra money so am not sure we really could've afforded it, unless we sacrificed another of our signings. Maybe Luiz.

We were still (according to fairly reliable sources) trying to sort an even more expensive signing at the final hour, so I doubt another £20m would have been a problem.

As other's have said, these sums aren't that big in the current transfer market and under our new ownership. But maybe it's only with hindsight that we've fully appreciated it.

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Been largely terrible. Newcastle underperformance could push me over the edge if we don't win.

How do you think he'll get on if we go down? Can see him not being bullied all over the place by Championship defenders.

Think he would destroy the Championship tbh. A lot of the fouls going against him in the PL would go his way in the Championship, and as much as we think the Championship is a tougher league, it's more a question of refereeing style than the players actually being physically stronger. The quality tells in the end.

52 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Because despite league position I think we have a better team and are more creative hence why I think he would have had a better return if he played for us.

2 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Because despite league position I think we have a better team and are more creative hence why I think he would have had a better return if he played for us.

Haven’t got figures to hand but watched every match, but don’t think we have serviced Wesley very well at all. He is living off scraps at the moment, both he and the team need to adapt for me.

i want him to succeed, think he can succeed but we are not playing to his strengths at the moment, other than Jack when moved to a front three, our two other forwards have looked blunt, Wesley has outscored them all. 

Just look at how his more experienced, high cost peers are getting on elsewhere in the division. We paid £22m. How much is Tammy worth now?

Â