Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

HIs conversion rate is a goal every two games. But whilst Wesley is doing well, I don't think that should be used as a reason to play down our other strikers I'm sure if Davis gets a chance he'll do well, but no way he's going to in ahead of Wesley at the moment, as I quite correctly stated before today's game.

Edited by useless

To be honest if we'd have managed to sign another striker like we were trying to then Davis would have probably been sent on loan to a Championship club, as much as I like him, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happens in January.

Agree with Kenji, you can't say Davis isn't a goalscorer yet as he's not had a fair crack. People getting carried away with Wesley again, on about his record of 1 in 2 ffs...it's 8 games...let's see how many he's got come the end of the season.

But...I am delighted for him.

Davis has scored two goals in 37 league appearances for us, 33 of those coming at Championship level. I think he can become a very good player for us improve on that ratio, especially as a lot of those games would have come whilst Bruce manager, but can also understand why people would say that he isn't a goalscorer.

11 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Agree with Kenji, you can't say Davis isn't a goalscorer yet as he's not had a fair crack. People getting carried away with Wesley again, on about his record of 1 in 2 ffs...it's 8 games...let's see how many he's got come the end of the season.

But...I am delighted for him.

You absolutely can say it, because he absolutely has had a fair crack.

He has something like 50 competitive appearances for Villa (including plenty of starts), mostly at a lower level (Championship and League Cup) and he has returned a grand total of 4 goals (one of which in a 6-1 drubbing of Crewe in the League Cup).

I'm not doubting that he could be a useful player for us, and he could definitely improve his goal return to a more respectable level. But he is never in a million years going to be a reliable goalscorer.

Wesley isn't perfect, but he's our best option for now, and Keinan or Kodj will have to do something amazing off the bench to displace him.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

And it was under Bruceball. Where we signed players with no regards to tactics or philosophy. Just not comperable. And Davis was 2 years younger than Wesley. At the same age Wesley managed a handful of goals in some slovak tinpot league where you and I could score goals.

I like Wesley, but the notion that he is such a much better talent than Davis or is likely to score a whole lot more is based on a very thin data set or no data at all.  But it helps having a fancy brazilian name. 

The fact Smith has persisted with him even when he has looked very poor in some games probably suggests he is.  

Davis has looked sharp in cup completions but Wesley must look a lot better in training to keep getting so many more minutes. 

22 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Come on, this thread is page after page of the same intemperate language being directed at one of our players. Fed up with it.

Just a sample from the last few pages:

• “a completely unproven lump … utter madness”
  • “sitting on the floor crying like a little bitch”
  • “more likely he'll just sulk on the bench”
  • “The only thing he's "trying" to do is win a freekick - and he's pretty crap at it.”
  • “I have to say a concrete traffic bollard has more movement than Wes”
  • “he has been absolutely dogshit so far”

The abuse he's getting is totally out of order, and risks destroying any chance he ever had of succeeding here if he starts to feel like he isn't wanted.

We have loads of new signings who have been given loads of time to find their feet, who can be rotated in and out of the squad depending on form. But Wesley is exposed every week, usually for 90 minutes.

I am embarrassed that people are turning on him after 7 matches - including one match when he was arguably MOTM. Pathetic. Deserves to be called out.

Its surprisingly easy to grab a line from a post and make it look like it's "pathetic" posting that "deserves calling out".

Both those quotes that I've highlighted are mine.

You'll find that I said "sitting on the floor crying like a little bitch" after he spent 90 minutes sitting on the floor... crying like... well, a little bitch.

You'll also find that I said "The only thing he's trying to do is win a freekick - and he's pretty crap at it" after he spent 90 minutes falling over at the lightest nudge then berating the ref for not getting a freekick when clearly there was no foul.  So, yes, he was pretty crap at it.  This is a part of his game that has been evident since day one.

What you failed to "quote" is, that in the same posts, and in some of my other posts I have highlighted that his two goals so far have both been beautifully taken, and that his performance against Everton proves that he is a capable player.

The point that I was making (and therefore putting those two highlighted quotes in CONTEXT) is that if he cut these negative aspects out of his game, and put as much effort into winning the ball as he did in play acting, he would be much better off for it.

And guess what?  He didn't roll around crying like a little bitch, he didn't pretend he was fouled at every single touch... and he scores 2 and we score 5.

I was absolutely gutted for him that he missed his penalty.  We were 2 up, and in the grand scheme of things didn't matter too much from a team point of view - but I would have loved for him to have completed his hat-trick - because believe it or not, I want Villa, and all our players to do well.

To put the record straight, I certainly wasn't "turning on him after 7 matches" - but rather I was making my position clear on his antics. 

Despite what you suggest in your post, it has nothing to do with the fact that he is a new signing.  If ANY of our players was behaving the way he has been, I'd be upset by it.

I am happy that he got 2 goals.

But I am DELIGHTED that he behaved himself in a way that doesn't embarrass Aston Villa.

His behaviour is what was "pathetic" and deserved "calling out".  It WAS "called out" by our management, and it seems he is better off for it. Quite frankly point proven.

Well done Wesley, keep it up.

Lets just hope he doesn't revert to his stupid antics again when things aren't going his way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The fact Smith has persisted with him even when he has looked very poor in some games probably suggests he is.  

Davis has looked sharp in cup completions but Wesley must look a lot better in training to keep getting so many more minutes. 

Dean even said as much in his press conference. It's very clear who he thinks the better player is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thug said:

Its surprisingly easy to grab a line from a post and make it look like it's "pathetic" posting that "deserves calling out".

Both those quotes that I've highlighted are mine.

Someone picked me up on my "intemperate language", and I just found a few examples of worse abuse being directed Wesley's way in this thread. Wasn't claiming anything more than that.

Let's be honest, though, some of the abuse directed Wesley's way and (especially) Smith's way in the last few weeks has been ****ing shameful. Really think some of our fans let us down badly. I know there was more context to what you were saying, but there were plenty of fans who were just giving ignorant, knee jerk responses to results, that were the sort of self-entitled, know-nothing nonsense you expect from Real Madrid or Man Utd fans.

• Like 1

Luiz's goal was a peach. Top notch finish. He got that ball from Wesley, who got it from Grealish, who got it from McGinn.....

....who got it from Wesley, after he won it from Norwich. In the 82nd minute.

Sums up his contribution today. Great display.

There will be blips ahead, but there is much to like about his progress so far.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Dean even said as much in his press conference. It's very clear who he thinks the better player is.

Yes, he sees them both everyday in training, Wesley has been getting rave reviews from the likes of Grealish and Mings for what he does in training. With the greatest respect to Davis, who certainly has very good hold up skills, deceptive pace and good control of the ball, has never really looked a goalscorer to me. It definitely makes sense to stick with Wesley, especially with Targett now in the side because it means he's getting better service from the left and more things are happening down that channel (his second goal had Targett's involvement). 

If Wesley would have got to 10 games with only 2 goals you'd be tempted to make a change but there were calls to drop him after 4-5 games which were ridiculous.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yes, he sees them both everyday in training, Wesley has been getting rave reviews from the likes of Grealish and Mings for what he does in training. With the greatest respect to Davis, who certainly has very good hold up skills, deceptive pace and good control of the ball, has never really looked a goalscorer to me. It definitely makes sense to stick with Wesley, especially with Targett now in the side because it means he's getting better service from the left and more things are happening down that channel (his second goal had Targett's involvement). 

If Wesley would have got to 10 games with only 2 goals you'd be tempted to make a change but there were calls to drop him after 4-5 games which were ridiculous.

Calls to drop a player if he’s playing poorly aren’t ridiculous. 

Glad he did well yesterday. Hopefully he progresses from here. Still needs to work on his heading and busting a gut to get in front of his man for crosses. 

Edited by Delphinho123

I've probably been a bit hard on him because for me he is the key to us staying up. Our failure to sign any competition for him means that there is an awful lot of pressure on the shoulders of a 22 year old, new to the league. 

No surprise that our 2 wins in the league are the 2 games he has played well. When he isn't playing well, we aren't taking chances or holding on to leads. 

He is vital to us. Hope this keeps pushing him. 

The only striker I can remember in recent years for us in the premiership who had a definitive better start than him was Darren bent under houllier and I was wetting the bed over that signing and his goals to game ratio that half a season and I don’t think it’s unfair to say Wes brings far more to the table in terms of general play even if he has had some bad performances scattered in there. And I don’t think I’m talking out of turn saying across the board that team was better, definitely a better supply line of young, downing and albrighton back then.

Looks like a lad that just wants to be loved for me. Sounds silly but really needs a chant, think it could get a little bit more work out of him when he’s having a bad day which there are more of to come for sure.

• Like 1

Â