Pre-match thread

villa89

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1375934/Preview/England-Premier-League-2019-2020-Tottenham-Aston-Villa

Absolutely ridiculous how many players Spurs are missing at the moment.  Rose is going to be playing left back, which will be interesting considering they were trying to flog him off to Watford on Deadline Day.  Also, Eriksen is still rumored to move abroad by the end of the month, so who knows if he'll play or not.

We'll never have a better opportunity to try to take something off of Spurs this season.  Hoping for 2-1 to the Villa, but I'll be extremely happy with a point.

I’m certainly not expecting anything. Spurs are a good team and we’re still a bit of an unknown quality. However, I refuse to be defeatist and I do expect the boys to go there trying to win, set up to win, and believing that they can win. Because of course we can win. 

My next door neighbour is Spurs (season ticket, would you believe!) and is travelling over for the game. I hope we’ll make his trip a miserable one, as he is very, very confident they’ll beat us. Chances are they will, but I think we are very capable of surprising a few people tomorrow and I don’t think we’ll make it easy for them.

As for team selection, I guess the biggest question marks are DCM and wide forwards. You’d probably want Luiz in there, but let’s not collectively capitulate in here if it’s Conor. Trez, and certainly Jota, have both looked promising, but I’d be surprised not to see Anwar start if he’s fully fit. He kind of earned his spot last year and it’s up to Jota and/or Trez to take it from him. 

Whoever starts, I hope we go straight at them from the start. I want us to beat them at their own schtick and have our pressing game firing at all cylinders. Let them know we’re there to play our part. When our pressing game is on, I’ve said before, it’s a work of art. 

Happy New Year tomorrow, sports fans!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

I’m certainly not expecting anything. Spurs are a good team and we’re still a bit of an unknown quality. However, I refuse to be defeatist and I do expect the boys to go there trying to win, set up to win, and believing that they can win. Because of course we can win. 

My next door neighbour is Spurs (season ticket, would you believe!) and is travelling over for the game. I hope we’ll make his trip a miserable one, as he is very, very confident they’ll beat us. Chances are they will, but I think we are very capable of surprising a few people tomorrow and I don’t think we’ll make it easy for them.

As for team selection, I guess the biggest question marks are DCM and wide forwards. You’d probably want Luiz in there, but let’s not collectively capitulate in here if it’s Conor. Trez, and certainly Jota, have both looked promising, but I’d be surprised not to see Anwar start if he’s fully fit. He kind of earned his spot last year and it’s up to Jota and/or Trez to take it from him. 

Whoever starts, I hope we go straight at them from the start. I want us to beat them at their own schtick and have our pressing game firing at all cylinders. Let them know we’re there to play our part. When our pressing game is on, I’ve said before, it’s a work of art. 

Happy New Year tomorrow, sports fans!

Crucial.

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

It will be tough....Just seen Norwich's baptism....The richochets really done them, shows that, the speed at which work is done in this league is the difference.....you have to have quick reactions.

Equally, being able to defend is important too.....you cannot allow teams like Liverpool,Spurs man city, the freedom of the park. easier said than done I know.

There is no room in this league for unforced individual errors, it will kill you, just hope our lads keep them to a minimum.

One thing that crossed my mind during the Liverpool/Norwich game is how much better the premier league is to the last time we were in it.

20 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

One thing that crossed my mind during the Liverpool/Norwich game is how much better the premier league is to the last time we were in it.

OMG too true.....but that was the European Champions.

Everything you do has to be quick in this league.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

and we play the Champions League runner ups tomorrow :P

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I expect we will play well, look reasonably good, create chances and score one. I also expect Spurs to score three by picking us off on the turnover when we go forward.

A disappointing result but good evidence that we're here to play and will be largely successful with it.

• Like 3

Hmm I'm reluctant to predict a loss, such is the general buzz around our return to the PL. Still, I find it unlikely we'll get anything from this. 2-1 Spurs

Just looking forward to the odd spark that I believe we'll provide to give me hope for the season. 

Just got myself signed to Australias PL broadcaster, and at $15 per month for the majority of football across the globe, I'm very happy.

Even the Mrs is on board this season. Normally telling her that Villa is on at 2am is meant with some groaning and the complaint that I might wake the kids up (which I never do). 

Only problem I have is whether to stay up the whole way through till 2am or sneak a nap in prior to kick off.

This match is going to be on regular NBC in America. Massive audience. We're a long way from week old SportsChannel MOTD highlights at 2AM. Happy days, even if we lose. But Spurs midfield is weakened and Dean has the team full of self belief. This could be a shocker. 2-1 to the Villa, Wesley with the brace.

Enjoy the game gents, Villa are **** back!

UTV

• Like 2

6 hours ago, May-Z said:

I expect we will play well, look reasonably good, create chances and score one. I also expect Spurs to score three by picking us off on the turnover when we go forward.

A disappointing result but good evidence that we're here to play and will be largely successful with it.

yeah, my worry too.

but I would worry even more, if we sit back and park the bus.

Edited by TRO

No matter the result just enjoy the game and the occasion, it's what we've been waiting for!

Think this could be closer than a few think, Spurs lost something like 12 times last season, so they aren't unbeatable, mix that in with the injuries and suspensions and I think there's an opportunity.

However, we have our own concerns, we've a lot of new names and how well they've all integrated is important to how well we are likely to perform. From the outside looking in it looks like we've done that well, but you never know until you've played a few competitive games.

I'm going to predict an exciting 2-2 UTV!

How I see the game unfolding ....Spurs will press us right up the pitch and that will force us to change our game plan and go long, we will have to hold onto the ball up front in  order to gain a hold in the game and get some runners from midfield to create opportunities. Wesley will be under some pressure to perform but as crazy as this seems Davies (at a lower level) is great at holding the ball up,. Still Wesley to start .

My heart says we can score early and make Spurs retreat but my head says they will pressure us in to making a mistake and score early then just pick us off at will. Their the second best team in Europe and make no mistake even weakened they are a fantastic team who will put everything into winning their first game of the season

I can see Heaton earning his wages this week! And hes a shoe in for motm for both teams .UTV 

Edited by tinker

8 hours ago, TRO said:

I'm afraid the speed needed may be a big problem to us. Our best players, Jack and Mings, tend to work the ball very slow...