Pre-match thread

villa89

5 minutes ago, MCU said:

Buzzed for today... win, lose or draw as long as we play some good football it's great to be back.

Yep,  that's all I want today,  just be competitive and let everyone know our lion is fully awake & he is mildly annoyed to say the least. 

Lion Cub Monkey GIF by Discovery

Almost there mate.

I am so excited & happy today,  it's like Xmas morning all day.

• Like 3

Ladies and gentlemen: it has been a long three years. We’ve seen the club slide, grasp at new approaches only to see them slip between our fingers, we’ve been hoodwinked by charlatans who didn’t have two yuans to rub together, we’ve seen a cabbage thrown, we’ve seen players come to our great club who haven’t given a damn about our history or the villa faithful. We’ve had to put up with three years’ of atrocious refereeing. Of players hacking our talents to bits. Of ‘old football’ mantras being bandied about like it was the dark days of the late 80s.

And, of late, we’ve seen our fortunes revive, our belief surge and fellow feeling at VP and BMH increase. I’m proud to be a villa fan. 

When our team steps out onto that new pitch this afternoon, I too will be anxious about the possible result. I am now. I’ve always disliked playing Tottenham and I’ll admit that I’m jealous of what they’ve done. And we’ll want to judge all the new players six ways to Sunday based on that one misplaced pass or that glorious run. But, please, wonderful VTers, can we spend just a second today to reflect on the last three years. To feel some sense of satisfaction that we are Aston Villa and we are **** back.

And after that moment of reflection, we can look forward. 

Up.

The.

Villa.

• Like 3

Can't see anything other than a Spurs win. I don't mind because just like Norwich, our season won't be defined by results away to Champions League finalists. Man for man Spurs are better than us in pretty much every position and they are a unit which have been playing together under a really good manager for years.  I'll take a good showing here. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

I'm afraid the speed needed may be a big problem to us. Our best players, Jack and Mings, tend to work the ball very slow...

well, it will be interesting to see.

We can't beat them for talent and quality......but where we can beat them is youth showing defiance of their status and going for it in the same way we did against Liverpool all those years ago in the 5-1.......Deehan -Gray & Little just went for it and defied the status of Liverpool.

• Like 1

This game is impossible to predict.

We have a large number of new players playing in the premier league for the first time .Will they be inspired or nervous probably both.

Spurs have some injury problems which might help us.I can’t see us winning but a positive performance would be enough for us.

Its a shame Douglas only got his permit a few days ago because that defensive midfield position is crucial for us.There does seem to be times when we are wide open in that area and Spurs have the players to cause us big problems.

• Like 1

It'll be a loss today I think. Champs league finalists will be too big an ask on day 1 with so many new players. For me, today is about the performance and seeing how the lads play as a unit. Season proper can start next week with Bournemouth.

Hope I'm wrong though!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Today is upon us.

Let battle commence.

He which hath no stomach to this fight, let him depart…

He that shall live this day, and see old age,

Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,

And say

This is the day we battered the Spuds

• Like 4