Pre-match thread

villa89

8 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We look ready for Spurs now after seeing that Leipzig match, my team would be: 

Heaton 

Guilbert Engels Mings Targett

McGinn Luiz Grealish

Jota Wesley El Ghazi (if fit, he came off injured against Leipzig)

Agree with that, in the main but with two changes.

The one is obviously El Ghazi because going by his shrieking he won't be playing for a while. It was a brief cameo but Hassan looked good there so he may get the nod.

Luiz is still in Brazil, AFAIK, so I'll be surprised if he gets an immediate start. He may not even be in the country by next Saturday, although he's apparently arriving Monday.

Similarly Nakamba. I don't think he'll start either but he'll maybe come on for Hourihane to help protect our four-goal lead and Luiz will come on for McGinn to keep the heat on a bamboozled and knackered bunch of Spuds.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, privateer said:

Agree with that, in the main but with two changes.

The one is obviously El Ghazi because going by his shrieking he won't be playing for a while. It was a brief cameo but Hassan looked good there so he may get the nod.

Luiz is still in Brazil, AFAIK, so I'll be surprised if he gets an immediate start. He may not even be in the country by next Saturday, although he's apparently arriving Monday.

Similarly Nakamba. I don't think he'll start either but he'll maybe come on for Hourihane to help protect our four-goal lead and Luiz will come on for McGinn to keep the heat on a bamboozled and knackered bunch of Spuds.

It did look like it was a bad injury to El Ghazi, he’s tough, he’ll come back stronger

Hourihane would get dominated in The Premier League in my opinion, hence why we’ve signed 2 defensive midfielders

You don’f think McGinn will start after his heroics of last season? For me, our midfield will be McGinn-Luiz/Nakamba-Grealish

37 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

It did look like it was a bad injury to El Ghazi, he’s tough, he’ll come back stronger

Hourihane would get dominated in The Premier League in my opinion, hence why we’ve signed 2 defensive midfielders

You don’f think McGinn will start after his heroics of last season? For me, our midfield will be McGinn-Luiz/Nakamba-Grealish

I said, "come on for" not, "come in for" re: McGinn. I'd agree your midfield will come to be those named in later matches, I'm just of the view that next week it will be the one that played today.

It's all about the week at Bodymoor, though, and how Luiz (whenever he arrives) and Nakamba settle and perform as part of the unit.

• Like 1

It’s been a good pre season but fearing the worst versus spurs. They were a Champions League finalist and have strengthened again. It’s a real baptism of fire. 

I just hope that it’s competitive and we come out of the game with something to build on. I’d be ecstatic with a point. 

Son and Dele out for Spurs, they'll still have a strong team but it gives us a bit more of a chance. Personally think Son is ridiculously good so I'm glad he's missing. 

Our best chance imo is gonna come out wide, their full backs are probably the weakest part of their team so if we can get our wingers running at them we can put them on the back foot. I saw the highlights of the game yesterday and I think Trezeguet looked fast and direct, I don't think Jota will offer that which is why I'd have him on the bench and maybe start him against Bournemouth. Hope El Ghazi can start but looked in a lot of pain, would imagine we'll sign another winger/forward before deadline day - looking like Benrahma so if he is fit he'll definitely be an option to start. Given Hourihane's performance yesterday he does deserve to start, just not sure how he's gonna cope in that role against Spurs but he looked accomplished against Leipzig.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

well, the tottenham forums seem to say:

"7-1"

"8-1"

"It’s Aston Villa, we should be able to wipe the floor with them even with 10 players missing. "

"We don’t need or shouldn’t even be thinking about having defensive midfielders when we are at home to teams like these "

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, MaVilla said:

well, the tottenham forums seem to say:

"7-1"

"8-1"

"It’s Aston Villa, we should be able to wipe the floor with them even with 10 players missing. "

"We don’t need or shouldn’t even be thinking about having defensive midfielders when we are at home to teams like these "

That's good I guess, You'd like everybody to underestimate us I guess.

Heaton

Guilbert  Engels  Mings  Targett

Hourihane

McGinn                Grealish

Jota              Wesley       El Ghazi

Personally want to see this on Saturday.

If El Ghazi is injured then Trezeguet can come in for him with no issues.

Hourihane at DM for me, set pieces are going to be important this season. Nakamba can come on second half if it isn't working.

This game will come too soon for Luiz so not sure why people are including him.

3 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Heaton

Guilbert  Engels  Mings  Targett

Hourihane

McGinn                Grealish

Jota              Wesley       El Ghazi

Personally want to see this on Saturday.

If El Ghazi is injured then Trezeguet can come in for him with no issues.

Hourihane at DM for me, set pieces are going to be important this season. Nakamba can come on second half if it isn't working.

This game will come too soon for Luiz so not sure why people are including him.

In my opinion, Hourihane is the would be dominated in the Premier League, hence why we’ve signed 2 defensive midfielders. I’d be amazed if either of them don’t start

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

In my opinion, Hourihane is the would be dominated in the Premier League, hence why we’ve signed 2 defensive midfielders. I’d be amazed if either of them don’t start

Marvelous has played one pre season game behind closed doors and Luiz has not been involved at all.

Hourihane will start this game i can almost guarantee it.

17 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

But he wasn't dominated against RB Leipzig, the 3rd best team in Germany. Leipzig are better or as good as at least 50% of the PL.

I have no doubt that Luiz and Nakamba will start at DM once they have been integrated into the squad. But currently Hourihane is the best option, and his set pieces alone are worthwhile including as he showed on Saturday.

Great to see so much confidence on here.

I'm fully confident about the season in general but feel we are just too unprepared going into this one. The new players have not had enough time, Luiz hasn't had any time, and I'm sure there will be still more new faces before Thursday night.  It's going to take us weeks to get into our stride.

I hope we can compete but fully expect a bit of a battering.