Pre-match thread

villa89

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Really don't think we will be as naive as Norwich

I just don't think they were naive.

Nervous? Yes. Fearful? Maybe. Lacking quality at the back? Certainly.

But naive? A badly shanked own goal, a very poorly defended corner, an unlucky deflection to keep them under pressure - that's not naivety. Nor is creating more chances than Liverpool in the opening 20 minutes - despite being 2-0 down. They were not expected to get anything from this game, so why play a different way to your usual?

I honestly hope we play like Norwich. Not losing 4-0 at half time - but having the courage to play the way we want to play our football.

I'm certain we will hear the endless "But this is the premier league" rhetoric spewing out of the commentators mouth every couple of minutes against Spurs just like Norwich did, but I'd rather watch the Villa we saw last season (and in pre-season) than a side that comes with a simple plan of damage limitation. If our hopes of survival revolve around goal difference, we are already stuffed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:
1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Really don't think we will be as naive as Norwich

I just don't think they were naive.

Nervous? Yes. Fearful? Maybe. Lacking quality at the back? Certainly.

But naive? A badly shanked own goal, a very poorly defended corner, an unlucky deflection to keep them under pressure - that's not naivety. Nor is creating more chances than Liverpool in the opening 20 minutes - despite being 2-0 down. They were not expected to get anything from this game, so why play a different way to your usual?

I honestly hope we play like Norwich. Not losing 4-0 at half time - but having the courage to play the way we want to play our football.

I'm certain we will hear the endless "But this is the premier league" rhetoric spewing out of the commentators mouth every couple of minutes against Spurs just like Norwich did, but I'd rather watch the Villa we saw last season (and in pre-season) than a side that comes with a simple plan of damage limitation. If our hopes of survival revolve around goal difference, we are already stuffed.

They were playing out from the back against a high pressing team with better players in every position. It's suicide, and also being naive.

I understand you have to be brave enough to play, but don't be stupid.

Edited by villalad21

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

They were playing out from the back against a high pressing team with better players in every position. It's suicide, and also being naive.

I understand you have to be brave enough to play, but don't be stupid.

With some respect to Norwich, most teams have better players than them in every position and a large majority of teams will high press.

Rather than resort to hoofball, they will have to learn to deal with it....

... as we will have to.

I also think their goals conceded weren't directly down to playing out at the back (the own goal, the poor corner defending). However, those goals did dent their confidence and they sat back deeper in the second half, inviting Liverpool forward. By that time, however, Liverpool were in training mode and the game petered out a bit.

Just now, ozvillafan said:

With some respect to Norwich, most teams have better players than them in every position and a large majority of teams will high press.

Rather than resort to hoofball, they will have to learn to deal with it....

... as we will have to.

I also think their goals conceded weren't directly down to playing out at the back (the own goal, the poor corner defending). However, those goals did dent their confidence and they sat back deeper in the second half, inviting Liverpool forward. By that time, however, Liverpool were in training mode and the game petered out a bit.

There is a middle ground.

I saw Burnley last season play against Man City and that was a true parking the bus with no intention of winning. Wolves found that middle ground against the top teams last season.  

As others have said this league is just flipping faster. Only watched a handful of prem games last season but vividly remember how quick it was in comparison to championship. We will need to get up to speed - but the good thing is I think these players are more than capable. Spirited loss tonight, then gradual improvement as the team gels and we adjust to the league. 

I hate to say it and pray god I’m wrong but this is a tough fixture, and with a team that has hardly played together I can see us getting battered here. 

If Luiz or Marv aren’t ready and we play Conor it could be messy. 

Never wanted to be wrong more. Come on Villa!

As much as I hate to say it, and I’m normally quite optimistic, but I think we’ll probably lose, and it might be 3-0 or similar? but it’s a freebie, nothing to lose as we’re not expected to get anything.

I just hope Hourihane, if he starts, isn’t the scapegoat. 

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 2

Expecting nothing. It's good to be back in the Premier League. Going to get absolutely trollied today and enjoy the occasion. We will probably get spanked. But who knows.

3-1 Villa win.

Mings, Wes, Grealish.

1 minute ago, Mark_1989 said:

Not sure why but I can see ya scoring 3 today. Similar to when we played Arsenal away on opening day years back and Luna scores. UTV

Mginn, Wesley and Anwar to score

God that would be amazing! Would love that! Imagine Wesley scoring on PL debut...

Anything other than a spanking would be a good result today.

All I really hope for is that we show some promise and play some good football, I think most of us can take a loss as long as we don't look terrible, need to see some promise for future.

A bit like Norwich, they did get a bit spanked but they also played some good stuff at times and it's clear they will get some joy against lower level teams.

I just hope we don't look like tripe, I can take a loss but if we play terrible for 90 minutes that's a different beast...

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2