Pre-match thread

villa89

1 hour ago, useless said:

They'll be massive favourites whoever plays for them from their squad, outside of Liverpool or Man City away we couldn't have be given an harder gamer for the first game of the season, they finished third in the Premier League, and got to the Champions League final, whilst we finished Fifth in the Championship, and even then only after winning run towards the end of the season, we spent most of the campaign as a mid-table championship team. If we can keep the scoreline close and give them a good game then I think we will have done well.

The closer the game gets the more fear I get of us taking a good hiding 

56 minutes ago, KHV said:

The closer the game gets the more fear I get of us taking a good hiding 

I think a good hiding is on the cards but I would hope that if we do get a good hiding fans can have some perspective and maybe tone down their expectations. We have spent a lot of money yes but we are assembling a squad that, essentially, should be able to give anyone in the bottom half of the table a good game. A result against the third best team in the league and a champions league finalist would be incredible. Not getting a hiding is pretty much the least we can legitimately expect. But we can hope for more!

I people can be patient this season and realise that a home draw against even the likes of Everton and Wolves would be a good result as we consolidate and build PL experience. 

• Like 1

I don't know.

They've beaten Juventus, Bayern and Real in pre-season, so if that's any indication of things to come they're looking likely to emulate their achievements of last season.

But let's not forget that Spurs lost to Southampton, Burnley, Crystal Palace, Wolves and Watford last season. They will make mistakes again this season.

They also very nearly lost to a team which had an average age of 24 and who had half of the squad under that same age. Ajax over two legs nearly went through.

I only really know Tadic and Blind from that Ajax side, but both were starters and I think we have players just as good. We will cause Spurs some problems I suspect.

We have a back four that on paper looks a lot more solid than last season, I can only hope, as outside of Mings I don't know, that they will be quality in the Premier League.

Heaton, how about that save against RB Leipzig? With nearly 100 Premier League appearances, and once an understudy to the great Edwin van der Sar. I'm confident here.

With that in mind, we have what looks like a defense which can allow our other players to focus on having an impact in the final third and produce threatening attacks.

El Ghazi averaged 10.5 goals a season in his first two seasons with Ajax. Scored some great goals for us and I can see why people said he reminded of Cristiano at times.

McGinn scored some wonder goals and wasn't far off with some of his attempts that missed either. Absolute terrier who will harass Tottenham and win contests.

How did our last striker from Belgium fare? Okay, who knows how Wes will fare, but he's a big unit, exact same height as Tammy, only more solid. Tammy had 25 last season.

Even Hourihane, if he plays, scored or assisted 19 goals last season, was contender for goal of the season, and will convert from the inevitable free kicks we win.

I won't go through the ENTIRE list, and last but not least, we have our very own Grealish. Spurs will get a taste of what they missed out on shoved down their pipeholes.

We also have Dean Smith at the helm, which makes me all the more confident we can at the very least make it a contest.

Let's get it! UTV!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Really annoying as I hate them but I think their squad will push City closer than Liverpool will

100 %. Pochettino is a fantastic manager.

They will keep improve under him.

Meh, Coutinho and Dybala. They can cut inside to their hearts' content and say hello to John McGinn's arse.

Trezeguet may well have bulldozed his way into the side you know, especially with the El Ghazi knock. Their weak spot is Walker-Peters at RB. Good young player but nothing more at the moment, we can get some results down his side.

Work-rate defensively and composure in possession under pressure from Grealish and McGinn essential for our success this season. Can't think of two men I'd trust more to give it **** good go.

Marvelous or even Doug as DM please. We lose with Hourihane.

Don't think I've ever been this excited for a season.

On 13/06/2019 at 15:09, Raver50032 said:

Seems so far away into the future this game, but not actually that far away. Will be an interesting curtain raiser - hope we don't get spanked too hard. But then, 'To Dare Is To Do...' Dare we go there and get a result?

Here's hoping... :)

It's not so far now! 

Smith has stated his intention to play to win every game and I fancy us to make a few sit up and take notice after this game. 

• Like 2

so a midfield of Eriksen, Dybala, Coutinho, then kane upfront...but then an out of favour danny rose at LB and who knows at RB

nothing really changes for us, we win the game on the wings, we can get at them with good wide play

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

It's not so far now! 

Smith has stated his intention to play to win every game and I fancy us to make a few sit up and take notice after this game. 

Yes, getting interesting now... I'm well on board the optimism trail just now... Saturday feels like a kind of 'free hit' for us... We are the unknown quantity and it's an opportunity to ruffle feathers. If it doesn't quite work out, the real opportunity will be our first home game.

Up the Villa... 👍

I was quietly confident we might cause an upset at Spurs, then I see that they're close to signing Sessegnon, Lo Celso and Dybala to add to N'Dombele and no sign of Eriksen leaving - that would make it an unbelievable window for them even if Levy has left it late as usual. In my opinion that actually makes them serious title contenders, though I'm not convinced Dybala will sign yet or that Eriksen will stay. 

Not sure that they would be registered in time to play, but an attack containing Dybala, Lo Celso, Kane, Eriksen and Moura would cause a serious headache for our defence. Let's hope it doesn't come to that 👍

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

everyone fit except Chester (Hamstring) then

Dean Smith provided a generally positive injury update on Thursday as we prepare for our Premier League opener against Tottenham Hotspur. The gaffer confirmed he has a near-full squad to choose from, with James Chester the only absentee.

Smith confirmed the club captain will be out until the end of August, but that everyone else is in contention for selection this weekend. Chester injured a hamstring in pre-season against Shrewsbury Town, but is expected to be available again in the coming weeks.

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2019/08/08/injury-update-james-chester

Probable Starting Line Up for Spuds (Based off Preseason Performances):

• Heaton
  • Guilbert
  • Engels
  • Mings
  • Targett
  • Hourihane
  • McGinn
  • Grealish
  • Jota
  • El Ghazi