Pre-match thread

villa89

It will be a tough old game this......but we have momentum, match that with workrate and belief and anything can happen.

A young vibrant team can upset them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigJim said:

Great to see so much confidence on here.

I'm fully confident about the season in general but feel we are just too unprepared going into this one. The new players have not had enough time, Luiz hasn't had any time, and I'm sure there will be still more new faces before Thursday night.  It's going to take us weeks to get into our stride.

I hope we can compete but fully expect a bit of a battering.

I wouldn't be expecting us to pick up anything in this one if im being honest. We are probably coming up against the exact opposite of what you described, a very settled side who are a top 3 side. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Poch has drilled this team for 3+ years. We are not supposed to win this game.

Anything other than a defeat is a huge bonus

Exactly. They’re CL finalists, finished fourth in the PL, one point off third... they’re a very good side and this will be tough fixture for everyone even the likes of Liverpool and Man City... I believe in our team but like you say VillaLad anything other than defeat would be huge. Defeat and we shrug and move on to the next game against Bournemouth.

I have just watched a lad from Albion....Nathan Ferguson 18 years old.....if we show the belief as a team he showed against Bristol city we will be ok.

Its not always just about ability....its the abillity to compete.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have just watched a lad from Albion....Nathan Ferguson 18 years old.....if we show the belief as a team he showed against Bristol city we will be ok.

Its not always just about ability....its the abillity to compete.

Have u a time machine TRO. I mean he played great against forest 😁

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Have u a time machine TRO. I mean he played great against forest 😁

When i said just watched.....i meant recently.

you're being pedantic😝

Oops i still didn't get it .......sorry mean't Forest.

got the shirt colour right.

Edited by TRO

9 hours ago, wilko154 said:

But he wasn't dominated against RB Leipzig, the 3rd best team in Germany. Leipzig are better or as good as at least 50% of the PL.

I have no doubt that Luiz and Nakamba will start at DM once they have been integrated into the squad. But currently Hourihane is the best option, and his set pieces alone are worthwhile including as he showed on Saturday.

I guarantee one of Luiz or Nakamba will start on Saturday, if we play Hourihane we might as well forfeit the match 

18 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I guarantee one of Luiz or Nakamba will start on Saturday, if we play Hourihane we might as well forfeit the match 

Luiz hasn't a hope i reckon. Wouldn't be surprised if it's Everton, Palace by the time he's up and running. Personally, think Hourihane starts. Agreed he'll get torn a new one though by their midfield.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

Luiz hasn't a hope i reckon. Wouldn't be surprised if it's Everton, Palace by the time he's up and running. Personally, think Hourihane starts. Agreed he'll get torn a new one though by their midfield.

Nakamba then? Hourihane was dominated last season in The Championship, his set pieces were his saving grace 

11 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Exactly. They’re CL finalists, finished fourth in the PL, one point off third... they’re a very good side and this will be tough fixture for everyone even the likes of Liverpool and Man City... I believe in our team but like you say VillaLad anything other than defeat would be huge. Defeat and we shrug and move on to the next game against Bournemouth.

Agreed. I really don't know what to expect from this season. We've spent a lot, but we've brought in a hell of a lot of players who have hardly played together, and almost all of whom are taking a big step on playing in the Premier League. There's close to 0% chance they hit the ground running against such a good side.

I expect a 2 or 3 goal defeat, if we got away with a draw I'd be delighted.

1 hour ago, Czechlad said:

rdzzxPQ.png

Can't see an XI other than that one assuming El Ghazi is fit for this one. Nakamba, Trezeguet, and Kodjia as sub options is decent as well. 

Right team but McGinn won't play that deep.

Hourihane will plat in the deep role with McGinn and Jack further up

Edited by villalad21

They'll be massive favourites whoever plays for them from their squad, outside of Liverpool or Man City away we couldn't have be given an harder gamer for the first game of the season, they finished third in the Premier League, and got to the Champions League final, whilst we finished Fifth in the Championship, and even then only after winning run towards the end of the season, we spent most of the campaign as a mid-table championship team. If we can keep the scoreline close and give them a good game then I think we will have done well.