Pre-match thread

villa89

44 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Cheers - yeah good plan, will hit up the relatives first them turn desperately to anyone on here promoting themselves as Canadian!

Could you buy a prepaid currency card (I use FX for holidays) loaded with Canadian Dollars? 

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

There must be a tactical reason for this.

I suspect a fitness/illness thing.

It's only the full backs starting that is wrong, but Lansbury ahead of Marvelous and no Guilbert on bench is suspicious.

Probably going to get shot down for this but maybe Smith feels that a more settled back 4 is the way to go in this one and to be honest I can see why, and I'm definitely not a fan of Taylor. I can also see why Jota is on the bench. If this was a home game vs Norwich fair enough I'd be perplexed too but I am with him on this one.

UTV 

It might be sensible to keep 3 of last season’s back 4 in the starting line up. If we went with most people’s (including my own) choice of team, only Mings would have remained and the rest would have all been new to the team. 

I suspect the new fullbacks will be phased in over the next 5-10 games.

He’s also gone for a familiar midfield and pace and power up front. I suspect maybe Jota might be one to bring on later to change the game, but he might struggle with the strength and aggression on Spurs from the start.

Aside from anything else - he’s giving all the lads from last season a chance. If they don’t step up then he can justifiably change things.

Just now, cheltenham_villa said:

Not surprised to see him only phase in a few of the new signings. You cant put a brand new 11 in against spurs and expect to compete. New players will need to learn systems and tactics, integrate over time. Surprised to not see Jota though.

Couldn't disagree more. The whole reason he bought so early was to get them to gel pre-season.

• Thanks 1