dont_do_it_doug.

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He’s a tidy little player. If he had that extra yard of pace he would have been playing at this level years ago. 

Measured to have had the 3. Fastest sprint on the pitch vs Everton, apparently.

Yes don't quite get the 'he's slow' meme to be honest. Whilst he's hardly 'rapid' he's hardly 'slow either', he has a good bit of acceleration to get away from opponents and can drive forward with the ball at decent pace. Of course if you had his technique and extreme speed then yes he'd have been at a higher level years ago but he's really not a slow player.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Really? Didn’t seem it. Maybe it’s the burst of speed he lacks.

Doesn't strike me as a particular quick player either. But it might be more down to his style off play, then ability. At least he's quick enough too hold his own in this league. 

• Like 1

Jota plays for me at home when we are on the front foot and fans behind the team.  He shouldnt even make the bench in away games when we will be under the cosh and sitting back.  We need someone with pace and strength to hold the ball up when away from home.

• Like 1

On 31/08/2019 at 17:24, dudevillaisnice said:

All of our players are the same though to be fair. It’s the reason they play for us and not clubs higher up. 

For most of them they havnt played more than 3 games in this division.  We simply dont know anything yet.

2 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

Jota plays for me at home when we are on the front foot and fans behind the team.  He shouldnt even make the bench in away games when we will be under the cosh and sitting back.  We need someone with pace and strength to hold the ball up when away from home.

I agree... to an extent. I would still have him on the bench in away games, but not as a starter. 

I like him, he is a nice, intelligent footballer and can pick out some wonderful passes just think he may be a bit of a luxury away from home when we need to dig in a bit more.

A bit in the Carlos Gil mould for me ,but better.

still a bit lightweight for me and easy to relieve of the ball.....great when its going well and we are on top......not so good, when we have to dig in and turn the ball over.

I still think we need someone to Dominate that DM role to give us balance.....its not until the ball reaches the centre backs, that any growling or snarling,takes place, unless SJM is on his game.

We have too many like Jota in terms of combative skills.....I know that is not the prime function of that type of player, but you have to have a bit in you.

• Like 1

I think creative players are always more prone to inconsistency than defensive players. You kind of want an intangible unpredictability, as it unlocks defences, and is less likely to be consistently nullified by the high level full backs playing in the prem.  Unless they are top drawer, there will always be a time when what they do does not come off, or the opposition has their number. I think it’s more important for us, where we are to have different options, and be able to switch it up when things aren’t working, or one of them is in a slump.

We have that to a degree, with El ghazi, Trez and Jota. Both Jota and El Ghazi on their day can be unplayable, but going forward we could do with a few more options to switch things up. Perhaps a more traditional wide player with a great cross for when the opposition full backs have pace and can track our current wingers.

For me it’s Jack’s position where we need more urgent attention, as we have few options if he’s not at it, or has been sussed by whatever opposition we are facing. 

4 hours ago, HKP90 said:

I think creative players are always more prone to inconsistency than defensive players. You kind of want an intangible unpredictability, as it unlocks defences, and is less likely to be consistently nullified by the high level full backs playing in the prem.  Unless they are top drawer, there will always be a time when what they do does not come off, or the opposition has their number. I think it’s more important for us, where we are to have different options, and be able to switch it up when things aren’t working, or one of them is in a slump.

We have that to a degree, with El ghazi, Trez and Jota. Both Jota and El Ghazi on their day can be unplayable, but going forward we could do with a few more options to switch things up. Perhaps a more traditional wide player with a great cross for when the opposition full backs have pace and can track our current wingers.

For me it’s Jack’s position where we need more urgent attention, as we have few options if he’s not at it, or has been sussed by whatever opposition we are facing. 

True.

but, lets get real here.....We have no players that can be described as unplayable....we do not have that quality yet.

In general terms we haven't played that badly, but I think as a group we need to man up a bit, and let the opposition know we are about.I think in a few ways we are making it a bit too easy for our opponents. I am not advocating fouling, but more physical in our work....i.e the upper body behind stuff, not just an out stretched leg, as a token gesture.

Testimony to this was the early exchanges against Bournemouth, sure they were quicker to action than us, but stronger too.

In the Palace game,We should not be losing players to challenges like Trez's.....despite the Ref, looking for fame.....The tackles lacked conviction for me and just looked unsophisticated.....players who want to stop you in this league are crafty and devilish.

However, I accept they have to learn.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â