dont_do_it_doug.

He was easily shut down.....

... but so was Wes, El Ghazi, McGinn and Grealish.

He's at his best when he has time on the ball and he only gets that when Guilbert overlaps to keep their right back in two minds. Didn't happen enough tonight.

• Like 1

Put in a couple excellent balls, looked like (as in previous games) he's always just waiting for someone to get close to receive the pass or at least take a defender away but they never come so he holds it too long and loses it to a double team. Still looks more like a 10 than a winger.

• Like 3

He made some smart passes. Worked hard. 

Was a huge issue that Guilbert bombed forward way too often.  Jota were being closed down by 2-3 players as soon as he recieved the ball from Guildbert and Guilbert would make the run behind those players while none of the midfielders were dropping down to offer Jota a passing option. Leaving him alone versus 2-3 players and not one player to play the ball too. 

• Like 4

Made some impressive skill moves, but was shut down easy as often was out manned. 

Think that players are still adjusting, but that needs to be quicker the adjustment does or our wings won't work.

He got caught because he needs players supporting him. 

I've said in other threads, but McGinn being his side of the midfield offered him very little support.

You've got to give wingers more than one option for a pass, it's either infield or backwards and Freddy was doing his best to get in front, but it was often a 3v2 or on a couple of occasions a 3v1.  He's going to get pushed off the ball in this league because of his sleight frame, it's his teammates responsibility to help him out more. 

On one occasion he got the ball in a similar area to his assist against Everton and Wesley made the same run, but he didn't see it unfortunately. 

Everton didn't have the pace to get close to him either, West Ham played more CM's and they crowded him out. 

• Like 3

I think Jota has a good footballing brain, and is being made to look worse than he is because teammates aren't always making the right runs for him.

He plays with a lot of disguise, and you can see gaps opening up for him that he wants to play a pass into, but Wesley, Guilbert, McGinn, etc. aren't quite tuned into his wavelength yet. When Wesley did make the right against Everton, Jota's through ball was perfect. A similar position opened up for him against West Ham, but Wesley was a bit late to spot the gap and Ogbonna closed it off.

I agree with all the concern about his pace and ability to beat his full back one-on-one, but I think for £3m we've done pretty well here. A very tidy player.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

On one occasion he got the ball in a similar area to his assist against Everton and Wesley made the same run, but he didn't see it unfortunately. 

I'm pretty sure he did see it, but Ogbonna clocked what was happening as Wesley started the run. Was very smart defending, actually.

20 hours ago, Villarocker said:

His lack of pace showed last night. Him and El Ghazi are going to have to up their games and chip in with goals. Same as Grealish and McGinn. 

McGinn looks like the most player to score in our team. He even have some shots which you don't know how he managed to make it look dangerous. 

Unless we play the tree formation, I guess Jota won't be able to show us his best form.

For what we paid for him he was never going to be great and he looks horrendously slow and one footed. Okay he's got a good eye for a pass but I can't see him being very effective at this level. Should be a squad player but because of our limited options he'll play a lot this season. 

Jota is never a traditional winger , & will continue to struggle on the wing if there’s no same wavelength teammates supporting him , creating angles /making intelligent runs/ quick feet one touch passing that cuts thru defenses etc. Probably need teammates in the mound of Mount / Harry Wilson type of player which we unfortunately don’t have. 

Its a pity as Jota is suitable for the modern procession  game most top teams are playing now.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Digavilla said:

Jota is never a traditional winger , & will continue to struggle on the wing if there’s no same wavelength teammates supporting him , creating angles /making intelligent runs/ quick feet one touch passing that cuts thru defenses etc. Probably need teammates in the mound of Mount / Harry Wilson type of player which we unfortunately don’t have. 

Its a pity as Jota is suitable for the modern procession  game most top teams are playing now.

Really? I’m seeing a player that is trying to move past people the way he did in the Championship but constantly losing the ball due to lack of pace and strength for this level.

Â