Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Just now, nick76 said:

Right thing to do and only fair thing to do for all parties but is never ever going to happen for sooooo many reasons, so the powers up top need to decide what’s next.

What is the rush though?

How things are looking there will be no pre season and vaccine could be years away.

Can't see them playing a full season behind closed doors. That would be so f***ing dull. It's only 10 games remaining. Just postpone it regardless how long it takes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

What is the rush though?

How things are looking there will be no pre season and vaccine could be years away.

Can't see them playing a full season behind closed doors. That would be so f***ing dull. It's only 10 games remaining. Just postpone it regardless how long it takes.

The rush?  Simple.....Money!

Your logic is sound, but the money grabbers who control football only care about money! So the rush, the eventual solution will be about money!

Anybody that thinks differently is fooling themselves.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

The rush?  Simple.....Money!

Your logic is sound, but the money grabbers who control football only care about money! So the rush, the eventual solution will be about money!

Anybody that thinks differently is fooling themselves.

Well they are losing out on money if they scrap 10 games

Regardless it's just way too early to just void it imo. Let's just wait and see how this thing progress

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Well they are losing out on money if they scrap 10 games

Regardless it's just way too early to just void it imo. Let's just wait and see how this thing progress

I think they’ll make a decision soon, maybe at May 1st meeting.  Just no possible football in near future as has been talked about in the last few pages.

As you say, we’ll see!

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

No football for two seasons will kill many teams off.

No football for a few more months will also more likely kill a few off, half of the Scottish football teams and many of the lower league teams in England.

It's all well and good for people to continue a rhetoric of it's proper to finish the current season blah, blah, blah, however it is not going to happen. Some folks I know are on furlough until end of June at least, and again today social distancing measures for most of this year have been recommended. 

The football authorities need to wake-up and make a decision so they can plan and/or hope season 2020/21 is not another write-off because if it is we might only be left with half the football teams in the UK.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I agree and in a twisted way fans will get excited for new signings.  

Imagine if we don’t get relegated and then Villa buy....let’s say Benrahma and the press speculate 15m-20m.  I’m assuming (given previous desire for him) that Villa fans will be delighted.  They won’t be disgusted or angry we have brought him will they.  Same across the premier league.....

Not me. I hate the whole circus of yellow ties and Sky sports hyping up a 60m second choice Spanish LB on deadline day. Seems nowadays people just get excited with teams spending 30-40m without even having heard of players. See people getting giddy about our transfer business last summer. And indeed in 2015. Add in endless Barry style transfer sagas like we'll probably get with Grealish. All that endless mind numbing speculation would be even more ridiculous in this climate.

53 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

No football for a few more months will also more likely kill a few off, half of the Scottish football teams and many of the lower league teams in England.

It's all well and good for people to continue a rhetoric of it's proper to finish the current season blah, blah, blah, however it is not going to happen. Some folks I know are on furlough until end of June at least, and again today social distancing measures for most of this year have been recommended. 

The football authorities need to wake-up and make a decision so they can plan and/or hope season 2020/21 is not another write-off because if it is we might only be left with half the football teams in the UK.

If social distancing is in place for rest of the year how's next season starting in August out of interest?

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

So if we cant play to feb 2021 lets restart then?

It's probably the most logical way. You can have the games at nice weekly pace without having to cram everything in a six week period as will happen having to play in summer. Decent amount of fans could also get back in the grounds by that timeframe I'd imagine (if little else herd immunity might be close by then not that it's the ideal route of course). Seasons stay in correct order without going out of sync like it will for next few years.

The problem is so many teams would go bust without any decent income and of course a year without any live football is a pretty bleak one.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

It's probably the most logical way. You can have the games at nice weekly pace without having to cram everything in a six week period as will happen having to play in summer. Decent amount of fans could also get back in the grounds by that timeframe I'd imagine (if little else herd immunity might be close by then not that it's the ideal route of course). Seasons stay in correct order without going out of sync like it will for next few years.

The problem is so many teams would go bust without any decent income and of course a year without any live football is a pretty bleak one.

U would have to cancel the 20/21 season then. The amount of money and law suits be crazy

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

U would have to cancel the 20/21 season then. The amount of money and law suits be crazy

I'm afraid it's likely they'll be two month break even if you start it on time. I really can't see any way it can just play normally through a winter season unless a vaccine or highley effective treatment is available then. Number of cases will go up from November you'd imagine so resources will again have to be diverted elsewhere and football will grind to a halt then.

Given there's about 8 or 9 fixtures in December alone the season wouldn't get finished unless euros got cancelled again which seems unlikely. Or you scrapped FA cup.

Teams should be equal on games played so we should play our game in hand. Id make Liverpool champions with a * next to it (just to Piss them off) then the bottom 3 play the top 3 of the championship winner takes all scenario. Everyone else it’s kinda rough luck I’m afraid and they finish as is. Just a thought 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I think the Government are going to have to allow a lot more pre pack administrations for all types of businesses including football clubs, and the leagues accept the new entity in the current league they are in without punishment.  

There are going to be so so many otherwise good businesses going bust purely because of Coronavirus restrictions they will need to do something to allow them to continue after the restart. 

35 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

If social distancing is in place for rest of the year how's next season starting in August out of interest?

Fortunately I don't have to make that decision but speculation seems to suggest Behind Closed Doors.

6 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Fortunately I don't have to make that decision but speculation seems to suggest Behind Closed Doors.

Yeah it will be behind closed doors at start of next season. What I don't get though is if situation is going to be better to start a new season in August or September then I don't see why the old one can't be finished off in July if needs be, we're only talking a few weeks difference and not like a vaccine is going to appear in those few weeks.

The ideas on this are changing from day-to-day, Eredivisie have taken the first jump maybe others will follow?

The longer this goes on I would suspect it makes it harder to finish a season which has had quite a break already, if we are looking at continuity.

Also the contract situation is so messy, lower league clubs are really worried about this especially.

13 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

The ideas on this are changing from day-to-day, Eredivisie have taken the first jump maybe others will follow?

The longer this goes on I would suspect it makes it harder to finish a season which has had quite a break already, if we are looking at continuity.

Also the contract situation is so messy, lower league clubs are really worried about this especially.

Its pretty much not the same season either in terms of form. If we had won 5 on the bounce and had such a long break then we will lose all the momentum because of an 8 month break then its a big issue

• Like 1

From looking it's the other way isn't it?

Germany actually well placed to start next month (although I suspect the re-start will be put back to nearer June).

Italy really going for early June despite the awful amount of deaths that has been hitting them for the last six weeks. Seems Spain is on similar trajectory with easing of lockdown.

Yet the big bad premier league is getting caned for not calling things off.

I suspect it will also get politicial. Already government is getting criticised constantly for the rising death toll despite having a few weeks warning from mainland europe.

Constant questions in the daily press conferences about when lockdown is ending so I really can see them pushing for football to be back in June to get some "normality" back and take the heat off otherwise it will just get lumped to the annual comparisons we're getting between U.K and other places.

You and me on here might not be that bothered if football comes back in next two months but you can bet the S*N and Mail would be asking serious questions if football wasn't close to starting up again when all the other major leagues in other terribly hit countries were restarting and ultimately that's the readership and voting base this government cares about.

That's just my take on the top league though. There's really no great way out for so many in league 1 and 2 given how much they rely on gate money. Being picky I'd have loved for us to say in our statement yesterday we would be donating some money to Walsall to keep ticking them over for next few months given we've regularly played reserve games there in the past.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

The reasons the PL won't null and void the season are: 

- They are desperate to keep the television money.

- They don't want to upset Liverpool, Leeds and the media (that would be equally devastated).

- They prioritise the two things above, over doing the right and decent thing.

• Like 1