Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

The rush?  Simple.....Money!

Your logic is sound, but the money grabbers who control football only care about money! So the rush, the eventual solution will be about money!

Anybody that thinks differently is fooling themselves.

I can’t believe I’m going to come down on the side of ‘the man’ here - not my style - but I think it also goes beyond moneygrabbing to actual survival. Right now clubs have almost no income. If this situation continues, many will go out of business. Clubs make money from commercial, TV and ticket sales. None of those are happening right now and they still have the majority of the fixed costs walking out the door. Theoretically with billionaire owners we are fine - but if not for these money men we all criticise we would be going out of business - and I think a few clubs will this year if there are no games.

7 minutes ago, John said:

The reasons the PL won't null and void the season are: 

- They are desperate to keep the television money.

- They don't want to upset Liverpool, Leeds and the media (that would be equally devastated).

- They prioritise the two things above, over doing the right and decent thing.

Point 1 though is why they REALLY won’t cancel next season. If they cancel this season they might have to give up 15-20% of a season’s cash. Cancel next season and that’s 100% of a season’s cash gone. They will void this year when it stars to impact next year.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

They will void this year when it stars to impact next year.

I hope so. I expect that the teams will all soon begin training again, now that Arsenal have set the ball rolling on that. They will probably also put forward a date for resumption and a preferred method of completing the season later this week, to see whether the government and PFA will swallow it, following Germany's precedent. I really think they will try to ignore what's going on around them and claim that this is what the fans want! :(   

3 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I think next season will definitely start if not even finish (integrity?!) behind closed doors. Isn’t there a way that broadcasts can have virtual / previous crowds and noise pasted into the background? 

Sky do it to Leeds games because they shout anti-Sky abuse

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Sky do it to Leeds games because they shout anti-Sky abuse

how petty...nevertheless i'm sure they'll be as happy as a dog with 2 todgers to pocket sky's cash if they ever come up

worrying news coming out today that the behind closed doors idea seems to be popular. i've had enough of it all to be honest...i'll accept the inevitable. just a shame we wont be able to attend and enjoy our last few matches as a premiership team

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

how petty...nevertheless i'm sure they'll be as happy as a dog with 2 todgers to pocket sky's cash if they ever come up

I think the issue is Sky always pick the majority of Leeds away games for Sky so rarely have a 3pm game.

I dont like Leeds fans but they have a point on this, Sky editing the sound is petty and a bit dangerous precedent

17 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Sky reporting that Premier League targets June return.  That's 5 weeks away.....that is never going to happen

I thought that was just for training?

I don’t know why they keep printing these dates, nobody knows! 

29 minutes ago, jim said:

I thought that was just for training?

I don’t know why they keep printing these dates, nobody knows! 

I agree, they just make it worse for themselves.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Sky reporting that Premier League targets June return.  That's 5 weeks away.....that is never going to happen

8th June is the suggested date as project restart is under way with some players already returning to training.

• Like 1

Maybe they restart to claim a few extra precious pounds of their TV money but void when 30th June rolls around with still several rounds of matches unfinished.  Lessens the finance impact somewhat and gives them time to prepare for a full season next season albeit behind closed doors for the first half. 

I'm still disbelieving that the government will let them play though. 

Latest wheeze is that FIFA will allow 5 subsitutes per game so leagues can play 3 months of football in about 5 weeks. So no home advantage and teams with bigger squads can benefit.

Still it must be completed for the integrity of the game. Well for leagues with massive tv contracts.

Reminds me of Hot Fuzz- For the Greater Good.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Maybe they restart to claim a few extra precious pounds of their TV money but void when 30th June rolls around with still several rounds of matches unfinished.  Lessens the finance impact somewhat and gives them time to prepare for a full season next season albeit behind closed doors for the first half. 

I'm still disbelieving that the government will let them play though. 

well the government reckon that it's needed to bring some positivity back. you raise an interesting point though...complete a few games to fulfil some TV requirements. maybe 2 gameweeks worth. means liverpool could also be given the title as they mathematically cannot be caught too. then finishing it whilst giving liverpool the title becomes a more viable option and one that few could argue

16 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I am sure I wont be the only fan disgusted by this decision.

of course we'll be disgusted, primarily because the decision is unfair to us. reckon any liverpool fans are disgusted by it? i highly doubt it

2 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

Project restart. This is bad news. Smith couldn't organise a self isolation.

If Villa play football it's relegation.

Our only hope is to follow the dutch and cancel the season. The PM must step in at this point.

sadly i agree. even more sadly is that we will be unable to attend our last few games as a premiership club