Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

10 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

it's possible...we got dicked by southampton in front of 40k at villa park so perhaps the home advantage is a myth...in our case anyway

Of course we're not going to win every home game and as newly promoted team have had some poor loses like Saints and Leicester but over last few years we've responded really well to capacity crowds for early evening/night games. Seemed to start when we won 4-1 v Wolves which was a half 5 kick off and this season we've had Everton, Newcastle, Leicester and Watford all as generally good performances and wins under the lights. I'm sure if you asked the players at 1-1 v Watford they get an extra 10% with the Holte roaring us on in the last 10 minutes.

At least with BCD they'd still have the familarity of our dressing rooms and pitch dimensions at VP although I do fear we'd lose that extra from no one there. Tonight we were due to play Crystal Palace. Would fancy us big time for three points against an on the beach team but would be far less confident playing them infront of empty VP.

It would be the same though as West Ham playing in empty Olympic stadium and far better than having to go to somewhere like St Georges Park and play out our remaining games which may still be an option.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

it's possible...we got dicked by southampton in front of 40k at villa park so perhaps the home advantage is a myth...in our case anyway

No but we win about 3 times as many home games as we do away games.

With us having more home games left to play than away games, we are at a disadvantage if we cant play in front of our home crowd. Not a level playing field.

2 hours ago, jim said:

I thought that was just for training?

I don’t know why they keep printing these dates, nobody knows! 

Arsenal players at their training ground today although it is very social distance training. I assume most clubs will start bringing players back and then when more lockdown restrictions are probably eased around mid may then training will be stepped up.

I'd still be pretty surprised if actual matches are happening before mid June though. Still plenty of other logistical and medical things to sort out.

24 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Arsenal players at their training ground today although it is very social distance training. I assume most clubs will start bringing players back and then when more lockdown restrictions are probably eased around mid may then training will be stepped up.

I'd still be pretty surprised if actual matches are happening before mid June though. Still plenty of other logistical and medical things to sort out.

Really? Arsenal are training?  During lockdown? How does that happen, it’s not essential business.  Are they arguing it’s their half hour exercise which would be laughable.  It would be a disgrace if they are but I guess I’m not surprised...

Project restart is just a plan but there’s so many obstacles to overcome before it can restart. Eyes will be on Germany and whether they restart their season next month and how they go about it if it does.

• Like 1

Just read an article about it.  Disgusting!  They are (“unfortunately”) role models and kids will see this and ask why they can’t do things and then normal people who don’t like lockdown will be the same.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/players/gallery/arsenal-return-london-colney-pictures-18157486

Arsenal's first-team squad have begun to return to London Colney today with Hector Bellerin, David Luiz and Alexandre Lacazette among those pictured arriving at the Gunners' Hertfordshire training base this morning.

football.london revealed on Saturday that Mikel Arteta's squad would be given access to Colney for the first time since the head coach's coronavirus diagnosis forced Arsenal to shut their training base.

Access is strictly regulated with only five players allowed to train at any one time and a rota system in place. Fitness and medical staff will be on hand to observe from afar and social distancing rules will be carefully observed.

To minimise the risk of any transmission players have been told to arrive in their training kit and have been provided with their own set of balls for their use. Attendance at Colney is strictly optional but with Dani Ceballos having also arrived at the training ground on Monday morning it appears that the squad are keen to make the most of the 10 pitches available to them.

I assume given their manager had it in March and he'd have been in daily contact with them in the days before the suspension pretty much all of their squad is asymmetric to it.

We could benefit from a restart tbf.  We were in the midst of a dreadful run of form and confidence was shot.  Didn't look like breaking it either but starting again will offer a full mentality reset along with us having a full strength squad.  I still believe there's 3 or 4 teams at least that we are better than.

53 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

That was some game for me....below the belt or what?

I don't get up and walk out or Boo, during bad games......but that was a game that pushed me close.

• Like 2

So resuming this season will depend on the government banning or allowing it. Do they back up their insistence on maintaining a lockdown by forcing the role model footballers to adhere to social distancing rules, making football matches impossible, or will Boris be the hero that brings the country its national sport back to lift peoples' spirits? I have no idea which way it's going to go really.

42 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/players/gallery/arsenal-return-london-colney-pictures-18157486

I assume given their manager had it in March and he'd have been in daily contact with them in the days before the suspension pretty much all of their squad is asymmetric to it.

Big assumption by them! That they are all asymptomatic!

Looks like Arsenal players maybe contenders for the Darwin Awards 2020

45 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Theres no evidence than any immunity you get from having it will last for any great period of time. Like normal flu you can get it more than once. I would have thought that the clubs have govt approval to start this form of training so as long as theyadhere to the safe distancing rules then I don't see a problem with it. Its not putting peoples lives at risk. Bigger risk going to your local supermarket. 

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Big assumption by them! That they are all asymptomatic!

Looks like Arsenal players maybe contenders for the Darwin Awards 2020

I think you’ve misused the term ‘asymptomatic’. Asymptomatic describes someone with a disease that is not currently displaying symptoms of that disease. It does not mean the same as immune. In the case of COVID-19, people can be unaware they have the disease but be producing and spreading virus particles. 

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Latest wheeze is that FIFA will allow 5 subsitutes per game so leagues can play 3 months of football in about 5 weeks. So no home advantage and teams with bigger squads can benefit.

Still it must be completed for the integrity of the game. Well for leagues with massive tv contracts.

Reminds me of Hot Fuzz- For the Greater Good.

Also under consideration 

No Var 

Handball rule changed , if ball hits on the t'shirt line its not handball ..ie Mings against Leicester 

No penalty for fielding weakened teams 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Theres no evidence than any immunity you get from having it will last for any great period of time. Like normal flu you can get it more than once. I would have thought that the clubs have govt approval to start this form of training so as long as theyadhere to the safe distancing rules then I don't see a problem with it. Its not putting peoples lives at risk. Bigger risk going to your local supermarket. 

The ought to come to BMH for training.....We are the experts at safe distancing, we are the pioneers, ably displayed most matches, way before Covid-19.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

So next season will likey not be finished then unless I'm missing something? Not sure how you'd cram a 50 game season into just 5-6 months unless euros gets moved again?

I just meant I don't think next season starts in time. Things are looking too bad. If they start behind closed doors then maybe.

In Finland all over 500 people events are now banned until end of July. And we have 187 people hospitalised for COVID at the moment...

Edited by AVTuco

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

It’s the perception as well.  They are doing basic training but no football interaction because of social distancing but they are using the gym but normal people can’t use gyms.  Non-essential employees can’t go into offices but footballers can go into work.  Luiz and co broke quarantine rules last week but now allowed to do this.

How is this role model to kids, to adults as well when they break the quarantine rules and then get special treatment or exceptions.

1 hour ago, brommy said:

I think you’ve misused the term ‘asymptomatic’. Asymptomatic describes someone with a disease that is not currently displaying symptoms of that disease. It does not mean the same as immune. In the case of COVID-19, people can be unaware they have the disease but be producing and spreading virus particles. 

No, I understand the meaning.  What I meant that they estimate 4 in 5 are asymtomatic but only Arteta was the only one who was diagnosed.  Based on 4 in 5 in a club environment you expect at least another 4 or 5 tested positive at minimum.  As only Arteta tested positive it suggests most of the players, coaches and training facility employees weren’t infected just based on basic statistics ie Arteta positive plus 4 asymtomatic who are infected but aren’t showing symptoms meaning everybody wasn’t infected.

Edited by nick76